🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Upwork alerts me: I will be banned
Page options
debi-f
Community Member

Upwork alerts me: I will be banned

Hello! 

Today, I received a private message that alerts me that Upwork deleted repeated posts I sent here alerting other freelancers about scam jobs. I mean, trying to help other freelancers to avoid being scammed. And, if I continue doing it, I will be banned. 

It is so funny, and ridiculous, that Upwork can find and delete my repetitive posts here, but they can't (can't??) find the repeated scam jobs and delete them before they scam freelancers. 

BTW, I work here for almost 14 years. In the last 2 years, Upwork became a scam/spam platform. I guess that the Upwork Team changed and, unfortunately, nothing is as it was some time ago. 

Check the original post where I alert about scammers.

https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Useful-information-for-new-freelancers/td-p/1494063 

15 REPLIES 15
r2streu
Community Member

It has always been a community violation to post specific links to specific jobs in the forums. It should go without saying that repeated violations of this long-standing rule may result in consequences, regardless of intent. 

debi-f
Community Member

I didn't send links. The issue is that I repeated the same message. 

I just sent a list of scam jobs names alerting new freelancers (without links!) 

The issue is that they find and delete my repeated posts, but they can't find and delete repeated scammers.

Obviously, they are not interested in deleting scam jobs because they earn money from freelancer that pay for connects and apply to scam jobs.  

r2streu
Community Member

For one thing, you have two different teams. The Community mods only have to scroll through the messages here, and repeated messages aren't hard to find. 

There are thousands upon thousands of job postings on the site itself, and it's not like the scammers are using the same names throughout. Circumventing detection and moderation is the one thing scammers are really good at. This is what they learned instead of conversational English. We flag, and Upwork removes; there's not, sadly, an elegant solution for getting rid of people committed to showing up and being naughty. 

debi-f
Community Member

You flag and they delete???

They don't delete and don't control any scammers. Upwork is doing business with scam jobs. They sell connects to the new freelancers. 

https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Useful-information-for-new-freelancers/td-p/1494063

i stumbled upon your deleted thread, the no links one. Good effort.
there was a time we got the "top 10 red flags post" on the pinned thingies on the right side and for a while - it was kind of working then it was taken off again..for reasons i cant remember.
I think your kind of energy would be welcomed else where. i for one started lurking on reddit, someday i might actually make an account and adopt a Corgi

Do you follow up to make sure the jobs are removed? I have flagged, and flagged scams that remain. A simple filter would eliminate many of the scams.

If management didn't allow anyone to be a freelancer, by removing platform and category limits, and eliminating all platform and category tests, the scammers would be greatly reduced. Since Upwork is not going to change course on living off connects, they need to implement the cheap, easy, filters that would eliminate a number of scams.

debi-f
Community Member

I think the issue was showing the jobs as they appear in the feed. That hasn't been allowed, maybe forever. I tried a long time ago, and it's always deleted, or you are warned. Not trying to justify Upwork, I'm just telling you the rules I had to follow.

ArjayM

Hi Débora,

We genuinely appreciate your loyalty and continued business with Upwork. However, please be aware that including names of persons or companies (or other identifying information) in an accusation of misconduct, incompetence, or other wrongdoing is prohibited in the Community.

You can always report this information directly to Upwork if you suspect an issue, but posting it in the Community is inappropriate. We encourage you to let us know if you find anything suspicious has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here.

We'd appreciate your utmost understanding, as it's our responsibility to ensure we're fostering the best possible Community for all members. 

~ Arjay
Upwork
debi-f
Community Member

Hi Arjay,

Thank you for your message. I posted a list without names, nor links.

You say that "posting it in the Community is inappropriate"... No Arjay, is the right place to do it after flagging again and again the same scam jobs at least 50 times during this week, and seeing that they are posted again and again. I try to alert other freelancers, like me, that are hoping to find a job.  Unfortunately, it is not easy to find a real job now.  And, always will be a new freelancer that will waste connects applying for a scam job. At least, I try to help them to avoid the scammers. If they don't earn money, at least they will not lose money.

As an old freelancer here, I can't find real jobs, so I waste my time flagging scam jobs, some of them I included in the list, without names nor links. You could pay me for finding the scammers that you can't find! 😆 At least, I'll receive money from this "job"! As a top freelancer after 14 years at Upwork (Elance-Odesk), and after paying high fees for so many years with loyalty, I deserve it! 😆

Thank you

Have a nice weekend!

elisa_b
Community Member

I appreciate your efforts, but I think you are just wasting your time. You cannot help people who don't want to be helped in the first place.

spectralua
Community Member

I am sure that if the upwork team starts fulfilling its direct responsibilities and brings the platform back to life then Débora will have more work and spend less time on the forum. 🤗

😂😂😂That's hilarious!

colettelewis
Community Member

Oddly contradictory of Upwork, given that your post about scammers was upvoted by a moderator!

renata101
Community Member

Hi Débora,

I enjoyed your earlier post because it shows a lot of examples of the type of language people use in scam posts. It looks like it's getting a lot of views, so your efforts are showing results.

I wanted to offer you this Pro Tip: 
If you do a search for the job titles and post the url for the search, they don't seem to mind.

In this case, I chose to search "Copy paste Jobs for new beginners" (including the quotations). What I got was this search, which shows 3 full pages of results:

https://www.upwork.com/nx/search/jobs/?nbs=1&page=3&q=%28%22Copy%20paste%20Jobs%20for%20new%20beginn...

However, running the searches and posting the urls is a bit time consuming. I also think that Upwork should be paying someone to solve this particular problem.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members