🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Upwork asking for proof of additional ski...
Page options
sanchayan_b
Community Member

Upwork asking for proof of additional skill sets if any after account suspension

Hi Freelancers,

I have been through this my self and also seeing lot of freelancers in this community who have received a message from upwork saying their account has been suspended and requesting them to provide proofs of skills sets which is not already mentioned in their profile for upwork to consider reopening their account.Does not it seem a little awkward.I mean everybody out here has come to earn money by showcasing their skill sets.Why on earth would some one hide one of their skill sets from public for no specific reason and wait for some thing bad like account suspension to happen to display it.Does not it seems premeditated.Its like we will suspend your account any way but still giving you a chance which we know you will not be able to avail so the you do not complain later on.What is your thoughts on this.
16 REPLIES 16
petra_r
Community Member

Sanchayan B wrote:
Hi Freelancers,

I have been through this my self and also seeing lot of freelancers in this community who have received a message from upwork saying their account has been suspended and requesting them to provide proofs of skills sets which is not already mentioned in their profile for upwork to consider reopening their account.Does not it seem a little awkward.I mean everybody out here has come to earn money by showcasing their skill sets.Why on earth would some one hide one of their skill sets from public for no specific reason and wait for some thing bad like account suspension to happen to display it.Does not it seems premeditated.Its like we will suspend your account any way but still giving you a chance which we know you will not be able to avail so the you do not complain later on.What is your thoughts on this.

What this means is that they don't want or need your current skill-sets, but on the off chance that you have some other skill, send proof. If you don't have any other skills: That's it.

Hi Petra ,
I understand that.But don't you think it'd little awkward.I my self could not show anything new.It was suspended for a month till one of my past client got me out of the mess.I am sure it's true for most of the people out here.I am here to earn money and I will showcase all my skill set to do that.Why should I hide any one of it and wait for upwork to make a mess of my carrier before displaying it.

You have mistake in a profile title: mnanagement

Hi Gorgoriy,

What is wrong in the word management.Is this something to do with the topic on which we are discussing here.

Sanchayan B wrote:
Hi Gorgoriy,

What is wrong in the word management

mna.jpg

Sanchayan B wrote:
Is this something to do with the topic on which we are discussing here.

We are not discussing anything. **Edited for Community Guidelines**  about the fact that you were removed from the platform months ago despite the fact that they eventually agreed to let you stay.

It is a non event and really there is nothing to discuss.

I am not winning about anything Ms Petra.Neither my profile is blocked.And I also sincerely hope I have not asked any question which has put the great community gurus like you in a spot of bother.Or did I ? SMy question is very simple and am making it more simple .I

Why on earth one would hide his skills from displaying and wait for upwork to play around with his carrier before finally displaying.

If you do not have an answer to that refrain yourself from commenting.Dont just try to divert one's attention from the original topic just for some Kudos.

And BTW thanks for pointing that out.Will update my profile.

Sanchayan B wrote:

Why on earth one would hide his skills from displaying and wait for upwork to play around with his carrier before finally displaying.

Many of us have a wide range of skills, but only offer one set of services on Upwork. For example, I currently accept only writing projects, and only from law firms and legal technology companies. That's all that's highlighted on my profile. But, if Upwork said that there wasn't enough work in that area and I needed work and wanted to stay on Upwork, I would add my experience writing in other areas such as medical technology, or would include non-writing marketing experience such as AdWords management and social media advertising. Those things aren't on my profile because I don't want that kind of work. But, they're still skills I have and could/would market if I needed work.

Any real updates on the topic Petra .S 

Sanchayan B wrote:

Any real updates on the topic Petra .S 

Clearly nobody cares as it is a non-issue.

When Upwork suspends people because it doesn't think they are good enough for the platform, they tell them that in case they have (or maybe get in the future) some desirable skills, they can see if they can get accepted again.

That, in itself, isn't a big deal.

You had your account restored, so what is your purpose? (Other than telling the world wide web that Upwork didn't think you had sufficient skills for them which isn't really something most people would want to adverise.)

Let me anwer your point one by one

Clearly nobody cares as it is a non-issue.

Only few hours has passed till now that I have posted the topic and its still time .**Edited for Community Guidelines**

When Upwork suspends people because it doesn't think they are good enough for the platform, they tell them that in case they have (or maybe get in the future) some desirable skills, they can see if they can get accepted again.

No body is talking about suspension here.I am talking about hypocracy of upwork.You have suspended an account for some reason and now you are asking that person to show some additional skill set as if that person is dumb and intellegent to have forgotten to mention what he or she is capable of istead of awaiting upwork to suspend his or her account as ask that question.If upwork is so confident about what they have done (Skillsets that are no longer important) why bother to ask again.I hope this time the question is clear to you.If not you can take a training on English language.I am sure there are plenty of trainers in upwork having similar skills who can help you.

That, in itself, isn't a big deal.

You had your account restored, so what is your purpose? (Other than telling the world wide web that Upwork didn't think you had sufficient skills for them which isn't really something most people would want to adverise.)

Does this mean that people can only raise questions here if they are in trouble ? Where exactly in this community forum is it written. ?

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Don't you  just love it when someone comes on here asking a questions, they get answers, advice and are even told there's a spelling error in their profile that most definitely will have an effect on a client when they see that. And then when that someone gets answers, advice, etc, they get all hot and bothered by it, challenging it, pointing out over and over their questions and trying to validate their reasoning. ????

Let me try and make this clear.

Your skills are listed is SQL and Database management. - Your account got suspended because there's just too many freelancers who have exactly the same skills. 

So upwork is asking if you have other skills. So lets ASSUME you know and are pretty good using Photoshop, It's a hobby. You would rather work doing SQL and database management. Since you were suspended because there's too many freelancers with those skills, So, wow, you know Photoshop, So you update your profile with that NEW skill that wasn't there before. 

And that's what this is all about. 

Hello Kathy,

What gave you the idea that my profile was blocked because there are too many profile with SQL server.Or some body came in your dreams and told you so.My profile was blocked for a strange reason the I applied too many jobs with too little outcome whereas I have been mainly working on projects where I was invited with a steady income.Any way that mess has been cleared.

Coming back to your question.No I don't mind healthy inputs and I respect that.

But I do mind inputs which are irrelevant such as yours.I appreciate Tony's comment earlier which is logical.

And to you my question If upwork is so logical like you are trying to prove here why should they ask for an additional skill set from a person where they absolutely know that he or she will not have any.

Based on every bodies reaction I feel I have pointed out a grave discrepancy in upworks system with this some what innocent question.Is it so.

Sanchayan B wrote:

And to you my question If upwork is so logical like you are trying to prove here why should they ask for an additional skill set from a person where they absolutely know that he or she will not have any.

But why do you keep insisting it should be obvious to Upwork that you don't know how to do anything else? what is it about your profile that you feel makes you look so limited and incompetent that Upwork should automatically assume you have no other skills when they know that quite a lot of freelancers do?

Hello Tiffany,

One simple question How many freelancers whose profile is blocked could show additional skill set to get their profile restored.What is the ratio.Had it been too many then there should not have been so many people whining here when their profile is blocked.I think that says it all.

If you truly think that says it all, then it is probably quite true that there's nothing you can add that would make you do well here.

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Sanchayan and others,

A freelancer’s account may be suspended if we notice they have submitted proposals for many jobs on our site, but have won very few contracts or had very few earnings. Typically, this means (1) the opportunities on Upwork are not a good match for the freelancer’s skillset, or (2) they are violating our Terms of Service. When this happens, freelancers are allowed to appeal.

A few posts have been edited or removed from this thread as they were against the  Community Guidelines and included personal attacks. Please, be respectful toward other members of the Community and mindful of the Community Guideline when posting on these boards.

This thread has also been closed from further replies.

~ Valeria
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths