🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Upwork asking me to verify my location.
Page options
ahsanscryber
Community Member

Upwork asking me to verify my location.

Hello,
I've just moved to US for a couple of months and I have changed my Upwork location to US to cater the market here, but I am being asked for Green card and other relevant documents. Since I am not a permenant resident here I do not hold a Green card. I can provide my passport and my US based company documents for verification.

Please let me know how to proceed now.

Thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Ahsan I wrote:

Hello,
I've just moved to US for a couple of months and I have changed my Upwork location to US to cater the market here, but I am being asked for Green card and other relevant documents. Since I am not a permenant resident here I do not hold a Green card. I can provide my passport and my US based company documents for verification.

Thanks

If you are physically in the US (are you?) and want to work, you can not do so on a tourist visa,

What visa do you hold?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
petra_r
Community Member

Ahsan I wrote:

Hello,

Thanks

If you are physically in the US (are you?) and want to work, you can not do so on a tourist visa,

What visa do you hold?

lysis10
Community Member

Upwork just bagged some low-hanging fruit.

ooopsie

prestonhunter
Community Member

Ahsan:

Upwork's official policy is to let people work as freelancers on Upwork as long as they are legally allowed do so.

Upwork itself does NOT determine eligibility. It asks that you work only if you are eligible to do so, and not work if you are NOT eligible to do so.

But Upwork is not going to determine your status. Generally speaking, a person visiting another country on a tourist visa is not eligible to work there. But there are all kinds of details that can determine a person's eligiblity: their nationality, their place of birth, the citizenship of their parents, the citizenship of their spouse, their educational background, the type of work, past visits, past infractions, target country sponsorship, the length of stay, the type of visa, what is the host country, its agreements with source countries, etc.

You could look up information and rules on your own. The only way to know for certain would be to check with local authorities and experts. And keep in mind that different local authorities and experts may even provide different information.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members