🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Upwork automatically refunded the amount and ...
Page options
7987a3b7
Community Member

Upwork automatically refunded the amount and I haven't refunded it

I haven't refunded the amount to client but Upwork automatically refunded the amount to client. I just received a message that you refunded the amount 

6 REPLIES 6
petra_r
Community Member

Rajat B wrote:

I haven't refunded the amount to client but Upwork automatically refunded the amount to client. I just received a message that you refunded the amount 

That means your client failed to pay for your hours last Monday and has, to date, not sorted it out.

So Upwork examines your work diary (because they were never paid) and if your work diary had qualified for hourly protection, Upwork would have paid you out of their own pocket.

Chances are you used manual time, forgot to add meaningful memos or had lo activity levels. That means Upwork don't pay you out of their own pocket and the transaction was reversed.

7987a3b7
Community Member

The work is based on hardware so it was not possible without manual hours. This is not right. I have worked and Upwork even didn't guarantee my payment

7987a3b7
Community Member

Please provide a solution to this as I have already done much of the work and it's very bad if I will not be paid

petra_r
Community Member

Rajat B wrote:

Please provide a solution to this as I have already done much of the work and it's very bad if I will not be paid

Every time you enter manual time the system tells you that there is no protection for it. Unless your client sorts it out, you will not get paid. There is no solution.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Rajat,

I'm sorry to hear about this. On hourly contracts when a client fails to pay for the hours logged by the freelancer and those hours don't meet the requirements for Hourly Protection, the payment may be reversed. Please check out this article for more information.

Our team will also be reaching out to you via email with more information.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

re: "The work is based on hardware so it was not possible without manual hours... Please provide a solution..."

Here is your solution:
If your work requires manually-logged time, then limit the number of hours you spend working on the project until the client has demonstrated that they can be trusted. Only work a few hours the first week, and make sure that billing goes through just fine.

Or explain to the client that you require an initial payment of $300, paid through the client-side "Send bonus" tool. And that after $300 worth of hours have been successfully billed and processed, you will issue a refund for that initial payment. (You can tell the client: "Sorry that I need to do this, but ths is necessary due to limitations within the Upwork system.")

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths