🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Upwork call vs Phone call
Page options
dsmgdesign
Community Member

Upwork call vs Phone call

I have a meeting with a prospective client today, and ofcourse we have to use Upwork's communication tools since no contract is in place yet. I have never used Upwork's communication tools before, and I find Upwork's help section severely lacking, so coming to the community for answers. 

To preface my question, I'm assuming an "Upwork Call" is a video call, and a "Phone call" is an audio call, correct? 

The Help section says something about creating a link for a video call. So, does selecting "Upwork call" automatically create a link? Can my client and I use this link at a later time that we schedule together, or does the link expire after a certain period of time? 

11 REPLIES 11
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Upwork's VOIP app can be used for either an audio call or an audio with video call.

Each user needs to choose which they prefer. You don't need to "create" a link; just click on the telephone handset-shaped call and the recipient will be notified of an incoming call.

When I use the app I agree with the client what day and time we'll talk, then one of us uses the system to initiate a call with the other.

You can share screens.

Will L wrote:

Upwork's VOIP app can be used for either an audio call or an audio with video call.

Each user needs to choose which they prefer. You don't need to "create" a link; just click on the telephone handset-shaped call and the recipient will be notified of an incoming call.

When I use the app I agree with the client what day and time we'll talk, then one of us uses the system to initiate a call with the other.

You can share screens.

Right, but when I click on that phone icon, I have 2 options: An "Upwork Call" or a "Phone call" ...I'm assuming an "Upwork Call" is the video call, and the "Phone call" is the audio call. Correct? 

re: "...when I click on that phone icon, I have 2 options: An 'Upwork Call' or a 'Phone call' ...I'm assuming an 'Upwork Call' is the video call, and the 'Phone call' is the audio call. Correct?"

The phrases "Upwork Call" and "Phone Call" are clearly a bit confusing.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi David,

Thank you for this feedback, I'll be sure to share it with our team. The ''Phone call'' is the dial-in phone number feature we announced here  The ''Upwork call'' is where you'll be using your Desktop App or Browser to talk and then can choose to have a video on or off, as explained here.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Bojan S wrote:

Hi David,

Thank you for this feedback, I'll be sure to share it with our team. The ''Phone call'' is the dial-in phone number feature we announced here  The ''Upwork call'' is where you'll be using your Desktop App or Browser to talk and then can choose to have a video on or off, as explained here.

Bojan, Can I use either a dial-in "Phone call" or an "Upwork Call" with a client prior to a contract being in place? 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Yes, David! You'll be using Upwork messaging system whether you choose to use to do a call on browser/app or dial-in. You can do it before you have an established contract on the platform.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Bojan S wrote:

Yes, David! You'll be using Upwork messaging system whether you choose to use to do a call on browser/app or dial-in. You can do it before you have an established contract on the platform.

Bojan, That's great news! One last question for you. I see that I can copy the calling info. Does that mean my client and I can use the dial in number and PIN that I'm given at a later time? 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi David,

When users dial the number and enter the pin code, we'll check if there's an ongoing call in the room that matches this pin code and if there is, we're connecting the user to this call. If there's no ongoing call, we'll create a new call and other room members will receive an incoming call prompt.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Bojan S wrote:

Hi David,

When users dial the number and enter the pin code, we'll check if there's an ongoing call in the room that matches this pin code and if there is, we're connecting the user to this call. If there's no ongoing call, we'll create a new call and other room members will receive an incoming call prompt.

Hi, Bojan,

Is that a Yes? The client and I can use the phone number and PIN code at a later date (even if it's 2 or 3 days later)? 

Thanks, 

Dave 

David S M wrote:

Bojan, Can I use either a dial-in "Phone call" or an "Upwork Call" with a client prior to a contract being in place? 

The actual answer to this is you MUST. I am not sure why the Mods never say that outright, but it's true.  Because we are required by the TOS to not use any other "meeting" tool until after being hired. So in other words, you want to have a voice/video call with perspective clients? You MUST use the Upwork Call tools.

prestonhunter
Community Member

David:
The Upwork Messages tool is capable of doing chat-only communications.
It has has built-in videoconferencing capability.

You can use it for a video call.

You can also use it for an audio-only call.

It is Upwork's intention that all communications with prospective clients be conducted through the Upwork Messages tool prior to an actual contract being in place. After a freelancer has officially been hired, Upwork has no restrictions on how freelancers communicate with clients.

Regarding your question about links:
I am not aware of a "link" being created that is a URL which you can send via email or copy and paste into a browser. I think the "link" being referred to is the fact that using the Upwork Messages tool, freelancers an clients (or prospective clients) may communicate with each other.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members