🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Upwork cencure?
Page options
parsont
Community Member

Upwork cencure?

Hmm, interesting. After I had complained to Upwork about a subject, they answered me and also asked me to put up the question on this board. I did so and after a minute it was taken away. What about that? /P

21 REPLIES 21
pudingstudio
Community Member

Per S wrote:

Hmm, interesting. After I had complained to Upwork about a subject, they answered me and also asked me to put up the question on this board. I did so and after a minute it was taken away. What about that? /P

It was moved. Still exists.

This thread will, likely, be also incorporated onto that one (click on your profile icon and check your threads).

Antun M wrote:

Per S wrote:

It was moved. Still exists.

This thread will, likely, be also incorporated onto that one (click on your profile icon and check your threads).

JINX!

Mark solved it, he was faster.

Not from what I am seeing but I jinxed you first!

parsont
Community Member

Read my answer to Anton M, the same applies to you.

Per S wrote:

Read my answer to Anton M, the same applies to you.

It's Antun, though.

And that not explain why it is moved from the first page you come to here or why I am not informed about that it has been moved without to send another question. You can give me an explanation, but you can not make me understand it as this is not how things use to work.

Per S wrote:

And that not explain why it is moved from the first page you come to here or why I am not informed about that it has been moved without to send another question. You can give me an explanation, but you can not make me understand it as this is not how things use to work.

Threads are always consolidated and always have been, because, just for example, on each of the two Sundays per month when JSS changes, there are typically 10-20+ separate threads in the forum titled something like, "Why my JSS dropped?" and "My JSS went down for no reason!!!!" That not only clutters up the forum, but means that the exact same question is being answered in 20 different places, which is inefficient, time-consuming, and can create confusion.

If you choose not to try to understand why things might change, you're right--none of can help with that. But "this is not how things used to work" is not a good reason for not understanding something. Humans used to do all of their cooking over open fires or eat their meat raw, and I'm quite sure you understand why we now use ovens.

Tiffany S wrote:

Per S wrote:

Threads are always consolidated and always have been, because, just for example, on each of the two Sundays per month when JSS changes, there are typically 10-20+ separate threads in the forum titled something like, "Why my JSS dropped?" and "My JSS went down for no reason!!!!" That not only clutters up the forum, but means that the exact same question is being answered in 20 different places, which is inefficient, time-consuming, and can create confusion.

If you choose not to try to understand why things might change, you're right--none of can help with that. But "this is not how things used to work" is not a good reason for not understanding something. Humans used to do all of their cooking over open fires or eat their meat raw, and I'm quite sure you understand why we now use ovens.

On top of that this is someone else's forum software not Upwork's.

florydev
Community Member

Per S wrote:

Nope it is still there, it got lumped in with a bunch of other posts with the same title.  If you click on your own profile you can see everything you have posted.

petra_r
Community Member

Per S wrote:

It's here, along with the rest of the posts whining about the same thing.

There is also no point explaining to Support why you haven't earned in the last 30 days, it wastes your time and theirs (which is generally when they suggest you post it here to get you off their backs.)

When your profile is set private, all you have to do is write "Please set my profile back to public" to Support and it will be done and nobody needs to get hot under the collar. It takes less than a minute.

parsont
Community Member

And this is one of that kind of answer I asked to not get. Anyway, I give you an answer. What is the meaning with the whole thing, it just takes up time and possibly makes me lose clients. /P 

Per S wrote:

And this is one of that kind of answer I asked to not get. Anyway, I give you an answer. What is the meaning with the whole thing, it just takes up time and possibly makes me lose clients. /P 

The meaning is that Upwork wants to make sure that the freelancers who show up in search are active and it won't be a waste of the client's time and limited invitations to invite them to a bid on a project. Since Upwork obviously can't individually review each profile to make assessments as to who is and is not active, they have chosen an imperfect but reasonably adequate trigger to automate that process.

On a side note, when Upwork CS tells you that you should take a question to the community, it means "I'm not going to go around in circles with you about this...let me redirect you to a place you can vent and I won't have to deal with it." Happens all the time.

Tiffany S wrote:

Per S wrote:

The meaning is that Upwork wants to make sure that the freelancers who show up in search are active and it won't be a waste of the client's time and limited invitations to invite them to a bid on a project. Since Upwork obviously can't individually review each profile to make assessments as to who is and is not active, they have chosen an imperfect but reasonably adequate trigger to automate that process.

On a side note, when Upwork CS tells you that you should take a question to the community, it means "I'm not going to go around in circles with you about this...let me redirect you to a place you can vent and I won't have to deal with it." Happens all the time.

Well, it's not about "active", it's about not earning in 30 days. I'm working 3 jobs that are taking a long time, but that doesn't matter to UW, they made me private because I've not been paid yet. I asked two days ago, and today it's public again. Easy Peasy.

It would help for clarity if they changed the wording on the message, because "we noticed you haven't been working lately" is annoying as well as incorrect. And it's confusing to some FLs who know nothing about it.

We've asked for copy changes to no avail, and we've also asked that it go to 45 days to be more fair, given the amount of time clients have to approve a project, as well as UW's 5-day hold period on top of that.

Virginia F wrote:

Tiffany S wrote:

Per S wrote:

Well, it's not about "active", it's about not earning in 30 days. I'm working 3 jobs that are taking a long time, but that doesn't matter to UW, they made me private because I've not been paid yet. I asked two days ago, and today it's public again. Easy Peasy.

Virginia, this is exactly why I said it was an imperfect trigger. I believe it IS about active, but Upwork has taken the easiest and clearest measure of that, which will not be accurate for every freelancer--it sets too many to private, but doesn't miss any of the intended targets.

petra_r
Community Member

Per S wrote:

And this is one of that kind of answer I asked to not get.

This is a public discussion forum. You get the answers you get. You don't get to choose what responses you get. Support are paid to politely let you down and send you on your merry way. Forum participants are not gagged in that way so can be honest and frank in their responses.

What is the meaning with the whole thing, it just takes up time and possibly makes me lose clients. /P 

The point of this whole thing is to identify users who have a history of going for longer periods of time without any earnings and the reasons for that.

Clearly it is in the interest of the platform to present clients with freelancers who have a good chance of getting hired and paid through the platform, rather than those who may not get hired or will take the client out of the platform.

As it only takes a minute to get set back to public, it really is no big deal, and if even that is too much like hard work, either make sure you get paid at least once every 30 days by setting milestones accordingly, or buy a membership.

chasb
Community Member

To paraphrase all of the 'advice' offered, Per.

Pay a membership free to remain visible to clients and pay connects for a job posting that will never likely result in a hire.

Not such a great deal, right?

petra_r
Community Member

Chris P wrote:

Pay a membership free to remain visible to clients and pay connects for a job posting that will never likely result in a hire.

Not at all. The other option is asking Support to set it to public again for free.

As far as paying for connects that will "never likely result in a hire." - that would be a stupid thing to do, wouldn't it?

florydev
Community Member

Chris P wrote:

Well if you are going to paraphrase you forgot the "ask support to make it visible again and you can do it an infinite amount of times".

You can also I believe mash the big green button on this page and not talk to anyone which comes up when I google "upwork private profile":

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003975967-Profile-Changed-to-Private-

I don't know that it works but it exists for a reason.

chasb
Community Member

Indeed, 'paraphrase' may have been unwise wording.

How about this instead:

"The only absolute way to maintain your profile indefinitely public would be to pay yet another fee". 

Thanks, but no thanks!

tlsanders
Community Member

Chris P wrote:

Chris, this is a pretty bizarre interpretation of the information shared by freelancers most of whom do NOT pay a membership fee. I can't speak for anyone else here, but I haven't paid for connects yet--the 60 that Upwork gave top rated freelancers back in July are still serving me. I won't mind paying a few dollars/month for connects when it comes to that point, because I don't waste them frantically bidding on dozens of garbage jobs.

I certainly wouldn't ever recommend to anyone that they pay the useless membership fee to save themselves the 60 seconds or so it takes to get their profiles set back to public if they get switched to private...especially since for most Upwork freelancers it doesn't matter in the least whether their profiles are public or private--that's only an issue for those who regularly receive quality invitations.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths