cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork client vetting

ahoylola
Lola T Member Since: Nov 22, 2017
1 of 12

I would like to understand how one of Upwork's clients was not vetted enough to pull his posting before staff at Upwork and myself were engaged to the point of job submission and acceptance - before the client and/or project was deemed by Upwork admin staff as not meeting the agreement requirements.  **Edited for Community Guidelines** Thank you.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 12

@Lola T wrote:

I would like to understand how one of Upwork's clients was not vetted enough to pull his posting before staff at Upwork and myself were engaged to the point of job submission and acceptance - before the client and/or project was deemed by Upwork admin staff as not meeting the agreement requirements.  **Edited for Community Guidelines**  Thank you.

What “client vetting?” you don’t seem to have a contract showing on your profile, when you go to your “My Jobs” page, do you see an active contract there related to the job posting? Is it showing on your My Jobs page as an hourly or fixed rate contract?

purplepony
Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
3 of 12

@Petra-  I believe she was referring to Upwork's Client; not her Client.

ahoylola
4 of 12

Indeed.  Thank you for clarifying my point.

ahoylola
5 of 12

Hello Petra, thankfully, I didn't engage in a 'contract'.  With all due respect I was inquiring about the mere vetting of a sketchy Upwork client - right out of the gate.  Seems like a lot of wheels get spun when Upwork staff (and robot emails), and inspiration and hopefulness on the freelancer part - come to a screeching halt after some dual participation toward a goal.  My best to you, and thank you for your response.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 12

Hi Lola,

we have to do do our own vetting - once you have a contract the client *is* vetted to a degree, by having added a valid and chargeable payment method. Until such a time (you are hired on the platform) it makes sense to not spend too much time on “wheelspinning” at all.

Here is a little flowchart I made a while ago.

Real-Job-Or-Scam.jpg

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
BEST ANSWER
7 of 12

Hi Lola,

Welcome to Upwork! I checked the job you shared and see our team removed the client from the platform two days ago, for violating Upwork ToS. Note that Upwork does have systems in place to detect questionable and address fraudulent job posts. Having said that, we do strongly advise freelancers to communicate only via Messages with prospective clients and follow our ToS in order to avoid questionable jobs. Please review these safety tips and freelancer resources, which will help you avoid scam jobs and achieve success on Upwork.

Untitled

View solution in original post

ahoylola
8 of 12

Thank you, Vladamir, for your response.  I wasn't given the option in an email feed to work directly with the Upwork client involved.  I will be more strict going forward in my own vetting of opportunities.

mthornton-cpc
Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
9 of 12

To be fair, there is no true vetting of clients. If a job posting violates the ToS it can be pulled down. There is payment method verification. But, there is no screening process that weeds out shady characters. If there was you wouldn't see a bajillion Community posts about how people got scammed. It's up to the freelancer to be choosy about with whom they work. Experience on the platform will give you a sense of what jobs to avoid - they stick out like a sore thumb once you know what to look for. 

ahoylola
10 of 12

Thank you, Melissa.  I've learned more about my own responsibility, and to be more discriminating going forward. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS