🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Upwork closed contract, client asks for r...
Page options
hexelandia
Community Member

Upwork closed contract, client asks for refund

Hello. I have a question regarding a contract. The client funded the contract months ago but due to inactivity Upwork closed it, and the client now asked me for a refund, but much of the work was already submitted. In the contract closed in the client feedback it says "none", that means that he did not leave feedback? Is he still able to leave me a bad feedback if I refuse to give him the full refund?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Ana Belen B wrote:

Hello. I have a question regarding a contract. The client funded the contract months ago but due to inactivity Upwork closed it, and the client now asked me for a refund, but much of the work was already submitted. 

The client isn't asking for a refund, it's about the money in Escrow, not money already paid out to you. This happens when Upwork auto-closes a contract for inactivity. Talk to the client to find a way forward.

Ana Belen B wrote:

Is he still able to leave me a bad feedback if I refuse to give him the full refund?

Yes, the client can still leave feedback, for up to 14 days.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
petra_r
Community Member

Ana Belen B wrote:

Hello. I have a question regarding a contract. The client funded the contract months ago but due to inactivity Upwork closed it, and the client now asked me for a refund, but much of the work was already submitted. 

The client isn't asking for a refund, it's about the money in Escrow, not money already paid out to you. This happens when Upwork auto-closes a contract for inactivity. Talk to the client to find a way forward.

Ana Belen B wrote:

Is he still able to leave me a bad feedback if I refuse to give him the full refund?

Yes, the client can still leave feedback, for up to 14 days.

Thank you Petra! So, is the client who requested the escrow refund or is it an automatic Upwork action?

Ana Belen B wrote:

Thank you Petra! So, is the client who requested the escrow refund or is it an automatic Upwork action?

It's an automated Upwork action. I would try to negotiate a partial payment with the client. Do rememember to react to the request within 7 days.

Also, in future, don't let contracts or milestones fester for months without payment, especially not when you submit work. Submitting work should be followed by money coming your way.

Same thing happened with me yesterday upwork auto closed my contract client was in lockdown all payment were clear expect one very small milestone of $10 for upwork is requesting refund from escrow

Refunding will effect my profile by any means? Should I do it client has tried talking to upwork but they said we have to return and start new contract.
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members