🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Upwork community
Page options
kate_starr
Community Member

Upwork community

Hi guys, has anyone noticed any benefits being an active Upwork community member?
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
a_lipsey
Community Member

Khatia S wrote:
Hi guys, has anyone noticed any benefits being an active Upwork community member?

Actually, I find being active in the community, at least reading and paying attention, has kept me abreast of best practices in using Upwork contracts, new announcements and  "features" from Upwork, and different potential client issues to avoid. I've learned a lot from the community here. 

I've also networked with other freelancers and built a referral network from people I've met here. 

Also, it is entertaining sometimes, as Petra mentioned. 

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
lysis10
Community Member

You get messages from the Greens that tell you they removed your message for being naughty.

petra_r
Community Member

Khatia S wrote:

Other than entertainment? No.

You get to do unpaid Customer Service work for Upwork, while warning newbie freelancers to not work for free.

I am grateful for the free time that active members spend here. I am learning a lot and avoiding headaches. They have a drink paid in Milan if they happen to come over here. 

Yeah that's why it's always good to mingle and chatting with different people because it helps you relief some pain in your body, well I just joined this community new

a_lipsey
Community Member

Khatia S wrote:

Actually, I find being active in the community, at least reading and paying attention, has kept me abreast of best practices in using Upwork contracts, new announcements and  "features" from Upwork, and different potential client issues to avoid. I've learned a lot from the community here. 

I've also networked with other freelancers and built a referral network from people I've met here. 

Also, it is entertaining sometimes, as Petra mentioned. 

Great points, Amanda!
petra_r
Community Member

I think the OP meant financial benefits or getting hired more 🙂

Yes, I meant if it “secretly” pushes on top of the algorithm when clients are searching for freelancers or smth like that..

Khatia S wrote:
Yes, I meant if it “secretly” pushes on top of the algorithm when clients are searching for freelancers or smth like that..

LOL - definitely not. You're not the first person to think that, though - did you hear that on You Tube or something?

Christine A wrote:

Khatia S wrote:

LOL - definitely not. You're not the first person to think that, though - did you hear that on You Tube or something?

I still submit that you can learn a lot - which will result in revenue - from reading and learning here, and participating.

Khatia S wrote:

It obviously does no such thing. I really wonder where that idea comes from! 

Petra R wrote:

Khatia S wrote:

It obviously does no such thing. I really wonder where that idea comes from! 

Mind you, if there WAS a secret club like that, then we wouldn't be able to talk about it, would we. Shhhhh.

Remember that time when spammers from the same country (we can't mention any names) were spamming copy/paste questions because some dummy on some group told them that posting here got them better jobs and better ranking? Mostly fake accounts too. lmao Those were good times.

a_lipsey
Community Member

That was definitely entertaining.
a_lipsey
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

I think the OP meant financial benefits or getting hired more 🙂

Well, I have gotten hired more learning from you, Petra, so, yes. 

That good how do i join Upwok community

😍

alysegoody
Community Member

Free entertainment? I love it. Find a 6-page post with a freelancer moaning about being suspended for 'no reason' get some snacks and that's a good part of my evening sorted.

voiceovervandeen
Community Member

On another freelancing site that I have used to use as a client, I based a hire on the way a newcommer had conducted themselves on the forum. They presented as keen and willing to both learn & help & he did an excelent job.

It's easy for someone to post a perfect resume & profile, but they'll often forget themselves in "free chat"

I once hired a freelancer who I'd seen in the forum. I might hire Petra if I ever need a sharply worded letter in German.

Richard W wrote:

I might hire Petra if I ever need a sharply worded letter in German.

LOL 🙂 

It depends on what you're looking for, really. If I were a client, I'd want to hire someone who's straight-talking, well-informed, and will do my project without any hand-holding... so I'd be able to find quite a few good candidates from the forum. 😉

Richard W wrote:

I once hired a freelancer who I'd seen in the forum. I might hire Petra if I ever need a sharply worded letter in German.

I have a lovely German client now, and I think of Petra every time she writes something in German for fun to me and then translates it to English for me. Makes me want to learn German, but I gotta focus on my awful Spanish.

She writes stuff to me like "Have a great week" in German and then translates it. My problem is that I don't know how to pronounce it in German. lol

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths