🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Upwork creating "Refund Requests" without the...
Page options
moisesmarquesva
Community Member

Upwork creating "Refund Requests" without the client consent.

Hello everyone,
It's my first time posting here, because I never needed any support, my clients since the beggining of the site never give me problems (100% job sucess).

But in the last days me and my clients are having problems with the platform.
There are "Refund Requests" having been created, that the clients didn't asked for, and couldn't see on the platform. 
And when I opened a "Dispute", one of them didn't see the dispute too. And sent me a direct payment to guarantee that the platform didn't refund the money.

For lucky it happen with 2 small project, that I know the clients and could talk about it.
But if it happen with a really big project? And this disputes don't negatively influence on my profile, rates or recommendation to the clients?  Why the platform is closing the contracts and iniciating this "refunds"?

I tried to find a way to talk direct to upwork, but even being a top rated plus, I didn't find any way to talk with the support.

2 REPLIES 2
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Moises,

It looks like the contract you're referring to was closed due to inactivity. Inactive Fixed-Price contracts with funded Milestones are automatically closed after 90 days of inactivity, in line with Escrow regulations Upwork has to abide by. Activity is referring to financial activity on the contract which unfortunately doesn't include active communication.  You may read more about Dormant Contracts of the Fixed-Price Escrow Instructions

Looks like you've communicated with your client about this and they have issued a bonus payment for your work. Our team will also reach out to you directly with more information.

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork

Bojan S wrote:

Hi Moises,

It looks like the contract you're referring to was closed due to inactivity. Inactive Fixed-Price contracts with funded Milestones are automatically closed after 90 days of inactivity, in line with Escrow regulations Upwork has to abide by. Activity is referring to financial activity on the contract which unfortunately doesn't include active communication.  You may read more about Dormant Contracts of the Fixed-Price Escrow Instructions

(emphasis added)

And apparently Upwork continues to advise the contracting parties that one or the other of them has closed the contract and requested a refund when it's an automatic algorithm that has done that on Upwork's behalf so that Upwork—not the contracting parties—does not run afoul of escrow regulations.I

Is this ever going to be fixed?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths