🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Upwork decrease job success rate on refund?
Page options
rahulbangar786
Community Member

Upwork decrease job success rate on refund?

One of my clients hired me a few weeks ago and told me that we will start running ads in a few days because he is getting changes to his website.

After a week, he told me this can take one more week etc and too 2-3 more weeks.

After so much time, he said he has spent lots of money on his website and he can't run ads right now. So, he asked for a refund.

I gave refund because I had not started working on ads.

Do Upwork lower job success rate in such cases?

I have worked on 4-5 small projects on Upwork and got 5-star ratings and great comments. I was expecting 100% job success rate but Upwork gave me 90% job success rate.

Now, please don't tell me it's because of private feedback. I gave great service at a very affordable price to my clients to build a reputation on Upwork.

10 REPLIES 10
petra_r
Community Member

Rahul B wrote:

One of my clients hired me a few weeks ago and told me that we will start running ads in a few days because he is getting changes to his website.

After so much time, he said he has spent lots of money on his website and he can't run ads right now. So, he asked for a refund.

Yes.That was a tactical mistake. Never accept a contract until you have what you need to eiter complete the first milestone or to start logging time.

"Nothing paid" contracts hurt your JSS, open (eventually) or closed.

I was just being honest and polite to my client and gave him a refund because I never worked on it.

Rahul B wrote:

I was just being honest and polite to my client and gave him a refund because I never worked on it.

Your client could still fix it by paying you at least one Dollar. It would then not be a "nothing paid" contract, and you could both leave feedback for each other.

In future, as I said, do NOT accept any contract until you have what you need to be able to avoid it by being able to work.

Thanks for your valuable suggestion.

The client can send $1 as a bonus? I guess Upwork don't allow anything after a contract has ended?

Please clarify a bit.

Rahul B wrote:

The client can send $1 as a bonus? I guess Upwork don't allow anything after a contract has ended?

Please clarify a bit.

Of course the client can send a bonus on a closed contract and of course Upwork allows it.

The client can give feedback when he had already ended the contract if he give a bonus on a "nothing paid" contract?

Rahul B wrote:

The client can give feedback when he had already ended the contract if he give a bonus on a "nothing paid" contract?

If the contract ended less than 14 days ago, and after making payment, yes. If not, once payment has been made the contract won't hurt either way anyway.

I had used this strategy but still my job success rate just increased 2 percent from 90 to 92%.

Thank you for this information Rahul.

Unfortunate that this happened to you, but this is very valuable information for our community.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members