cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork disables TransferWise Borderless

miki a Member Since: Sep 4, 2019
11 of 21

upwork guy's, good day, 

I'm working with you for years and years, much earlier then you changed your name to upwork .

top employer , 5 stars and all that , 

today i was traying to find if you are using transferwise as my freelancers ask for it 46 in the past and 11 active today, this and some other changes you made make me look for alternatives, 

not sure if it's ok by me that reports are not part of the regular account, I pay every month and my freelancers benefit from much less, as PayPal is costly, please enable this payment method and you'll benefit from happy users 

Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
12 of 21

Thank you for your feedback Miki, I will share it with our team.

Untitled
Charles O Member Since: Dec 14, 2018
13 of 21

Hi Robbin,

I'm also located in Czech Republic, and started using a TransferWise borderless account in February to avoid the extortionate conversion rates of PayPal. I've been withdrawing to my TW borderless bank account in USD since then, and I never received a message from Upwork telling me I couldn't do this. I use ACH transfers, and it's always taken one working day to withdraw money from my Upwork account before it appears in my TW account. I'm still waiting on yesterday's confirmed withdrawal to arrive. If it turns out that my only option will be to go back to PayPal, I simply won't be using Upwork any more.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
14 of 21

re: "Please know that Transferwise is currently not supported as a Payment Method on Upwork."

Upwork should add it as an option.

Robbin v Member Since: Sep 6, 2016
15 of 21

Charles, I likewise never had any issues withdrawing to TransferWise Borderless using exactly the same method you describe. Only when I had to update my bank account details because the name of my company had changed, did Upwork decide not to approve said change citing TransferWise is not a supported withdrawal method.

Although I have no evidence to back it up, my guess is Upwork has exclusivity contracts in place with its current payment providers and is therefore unwilling to support TransferWise as a withdrawal method. And despite repeated requests from the community, that's why the only replies we receive are these empty, non-sensical corporate answers.

Fernando S Member Since: Jul 27, 2019
16 of 21

I will second the opinion sharply pointed out by Robbin on the OP. I'm unable to verify my TransferWise USD account as Upwork will not make the two automatic deposits on it neither confirm it manually, even when I provide them with statements and proof of ownerships.

I'm being extorted by bad fees, and Upwork has been confederate to that. I've been creating several support requests but all come with nonsense responses such as "my own security", when I explicitly allowed them to make a normal deposit at the expense of my balance and my own responsibility, so that I will confirm it and the account will be verified, in place of using these micro deposits which aren't working.

This is very severe from Upwork and they continue on this. I must find a way to file a complaint to Upwork administration. CONFIRM MY USD ACCOUNT!

Fernando S Member Since: Jul 27, 2019
17 of 21

Sadly no attention from Upwork...

Emil P Member Since: Dec 4, 2019
18 of 21

Hi Robbin,

Are there any news regarding Transferwise withdraws - still not working or is there a way to make it work now?

Ifad A Member Since: Feb 14, 2020
19 of 21

I'm keen to use TransferWise for my payment. The Upwork rates is so bad. USD to IDR on Upwork is 12.920 while in TransferWise is 13.300. That's almost 3% different. 

Andreas H Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
20 of 21

This should be taken up again.

The worst thing about Upwork Community is the moderators (who all been equipped with what looks like a fake picture/artificial picture) standard answers. "I will notice the team", "we will use that in our feedback".

I can confirm that my bank (Denmark) does not charge any kind of fee for transfering money. Still Upwork transfer an amount which is not the same as the amount that figure on my Upwork account - always around 3-4% lower than expected. I wonder where those money end...

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS