Highlighted
Fernando S Member Since: Jul 27, 2019
21 of 34

Sadly no attention from Upwork...

Highlighted
Emil P Member Since: Dec 4, 2019
22 of 34

Hi Robbin,

Are there any news regarding Transferwise withdraws - still not working or is there a way to make it work now?

Highlighted
Ifad A Member Since: Feb 14, 2020
23 of 34

I'm keen to use TransferWise for my payment. The Upwork rates is so bad. USD to IDR on Upwork is 12.920 while in TransferWise is 13.300. That's almost 3% different. 

Highlighted
Andreas H Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
24 of 34

This should be taken up again.

The worst thing about Upwork Community is the moderators (who all been equipped with what looks like a fake picture/artificial picture) standard answers. "I will notice the team", "we will use that in our feedback".

I can confirm that my bank (Denmark) does not charge any kind of fee for transfering money. Still Upwork transfer an amount which is not the same as the amount that figure on my Upwork account - always around 3-4% lower than expected. I wonder where those money end...

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
25 of 34

Andreas,

Upwork Community moderators aren't fake and you can read more about who we are here. Most of us are freelancers like yourself, some are based in Europe, and we are quite familiar with the benefits and challenges that come with freelancing.

We are here to help, answer questions and pass feedback to the teams that work to improve various aspects of the platform including payments. I see that our team members addressed your posts, took a note of your feedback and you've also discussed this with our Customer Support team via the ticket where all the available information was provided. 

Thanks. 

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Fernando S Member Since: Jul 27, 2019
26 of 34

That's ok, Valeria.

Yet, the main issue here remains unaddressed. UpWork keeps rejecting perfectly operational and legal-binding TransferWise USD accounts (via ACH direct transfer) -- that is done in a way that the automatic confirmation microdeposits won't ever take effect, no matter how many times you delete and re-add the account. Then, if you'd contact support for a manual account confirmation, they'd simply enforce that TransferWise USD accounts are not accepted.

Highlighted
Marie V Member Since: Mar 7, 2020
27 of 34

It's sad to see even more money is being made on hardworking freelancers on these expensive third party withdrawal methods. Transferwise was my last hope. As a European, I cannot withdraw my money without conversion. I have to pay that when I send my money directly to my bank account because my currency or Euro are the only options UpWork offers. I specifically opened an account in US currency but Upwork doesn't give me the option to use it. :-(

Highlighted
Alina Andreea A Member Since: Nov 29, 2018
28 of 34

It's sad to hear it's no longer possible to withdraw via TransferWise, thanks for saving me the trouble (I was about to add my TW USD account to UpWork).

Highlighted
Aman Ullah J Member Since: Dec 6, 2016
29 of 34

Yeah, Upwork should allow us to Withdraw on Transferwise Bank accounts. Right now Payoneer having issue and every time you withdraw to Payoneer US Bank account you will be charged 1$ from Upwork and 1% from Payoneer. Then when you withdraw from Payoneer to your bank they will charge 3%. Overall 4% to 5% lost just to withdraw.

Otherway is Upwork DIrect withdraw and for this Upwork charge 0.99$ and rate is sucks! Like in Bangladesh Government never charge for any foreign transaction instead they award a 2% reward for the transaction. Where Upwork rate is around 78BDT to 80BDT for 1$, while Bank rate is 84-85BDT per 1$.

We already Pay UpWork 20% to 10% per contract and they making money from our withdraw, this is not good at all.

Highlighted
Chris S Member Since: Jul 24, 2020
30 of 34

Actually, it's probably for the best that UpWork doesn't allow TransferWise. I tried to open a TransferWise business account -- the one they specifically market to freelancers getting paid on UpWork -- and they deactivated both my business and personal account with $500 in UpWork payments in it!

It sounds like instead of asking for verification documents up front, they lure you in with catchy marketing, send you a debit card, and then ask for identification while holding your money hostage. I've sent in my ID and hope they will verify it soon, but their support team won't give me more details into the process.

I've asked UpWork to request a return ACH payments from TransferWise, but I'm not holding out much hope. I've probably lost $500 because I trusted a sketchy payment provider.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS