cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork does nothing against Scammers!

Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
11 of 16

Which is the kind view. A more cynical one is that many of them know exactly what they're doing, and indeed, see little distinction between working online as a freelancer, and other, more nefarious, activities. Personally, I think online work has the same problem as online anything, it's too open and it allows people you'd avoid in the real world to interact with you.

Having said that, I am of course sure he didn't, nor has ever done, anything wrong - either on Upwork or indeed the internet as a whole.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
12 of 16

Hi Emran,

I understand your frustration and there is some really good advice shared on this thread that may help you understand the situation and how to aviod it in the future. There are a few things that you need to check and do to make sure you get paid for your work:

- Make sure you have an active contract with the client and you can see it in My Jobs tab.

- Make sure client's payment method is verified before you start working.

- On hourly jobs log time properly with appropriate activity levels and memos (although you can also be paid through manual time or bonus, it's not guaranteed).

- On fixed-price contracts make sure the client funds Escrow before you start working on the task and submit work through the system when you are done.

- Do not accept any payments outside of Upwork.

- And finally, communicate well and deliver quality results as agreed.

If you have followed these points but still have troubles with the client, please file a dispute or contact Customer Support for assistance. 

~ Valeria
Untitled
Emrah Y Member Since: Jun 12, 2015
13 of 16

OK  I thank you for all your advises and critics. You are right. It was my mistake to accept this job outside of the platform. But, I think it should be paid more attention to verify the payment methods because it was one of things that convince me to trust on him. That was what i meant. Otherwise, of course it is my fault.

I have already forgotten about the money that was promised  because I have more serious problems now. I was informed that he misused other people's bank accounts using my ID data. I was in police office for criminal complaint about my stolen ID yesterday.  People may sue me. I have a big headache now. I expect nothing financial but

**edited for Community Guidelines** are still registered in this platform. Maybe he writes to other people. Why is done nothing against it?

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
14 of 16
Kudos to Emrah for being so forthcoming about his troubles. The police station visit and potential lawsuits against him should stand as a warning to other contractors about making the same mistakes.

Unfortunately, many contractors don't pay much attention to to the rules and policies and they find themselves misled by duplicitous "clients" or they themselves think they can pull off some shenanigans.

Those of you who complain about Upwork's modest security period for funds or their identity verification requirements should understand that it is these scammers who are responsible for the more stringent practices.
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
15 of 16

Hi Emran,

I have checked the account of the client you are referring to and actions have been taken against it right after you reported it in the end of April. We will also make sure he doesn't open any duplicate accounts.

I hope you will be able to sort out the issue with the police department soon.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Emrah Y Member Since: Jun 12, 2015
16 of 16

OK I thank you for the information and advises.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS