🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Upwork employees are pretty bad!! They repeat...
Page options
bobheath
Community Member

Upwork employees are pretty bad!! They repeatedly fail to solve very SIMPLE tasks

How long have I been complaining about the fact that your certifications don't work? Two or three months? That sounds about right. When are you going to find some employees that are qualified to do their jobs?

12 REPLIES 12
mwiggenhorn
Community Member

Well, I'm pretty sure that most of them are freelancers, not employees, so there's that...

Maybe it is time to start charging for Support for people who have no earnings at all.

My fees pay for those people to keep eating up support time...

Petra R wrote:

Maybe it is time to start charging for Support for people who have no earnings at all.

My fees pay for those people to keep eating up support time...

Support people are angels. I couldn't stand answering to the same questions over and over like they do. 

florydev
Community Member

Robert H wrote:

How long have I been complaining about the fact that your certifications don't work? Two or three months? That sounds about right. When are you going to find some employees that are qualified to do their jobs?

Well you haven't complained about it here, what is your complaint?  I, personally, can't do anything about it as I do not work for Upwork but maybe if you explain what exactly your problem is then others can chime in including Upwork employees.

VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Robert,

I understand your frustration and apologize for the delay in updating the wording you reported to our Customer Support team.
I see our team assisted you across all the requests you submitted on this subject and confirmed that we have requested an update from our vendor side, and received a confirmation that they are in the process of updating the description of the certifications on their site. As our agents confirmed on your tickets, since the wording is pulled from the vendor's site, once the vendor updates the wording on their end it will be reflected on the certifications on your profile as well. We are working with the vendor team to complete this process as soon as possible. In the meantime, I see our team advised that you can also add your certifications as portfolio items and include the wording as it appears in your certificate.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

NEVER has your Customer Service team "assisted" me. NEVER! They are an impediment to assistance. They are unable to complete simple tasks!

I have two Java certifications from Oracle. Over the period of two to three months, I have tried over and over again to get the correct wording of the Java certifications into my posting. The text material included by the people at Upwork does not even include the word Java ONCE.

OK, I gave them time. They have been able to give me empty apologies, but simply have been incapable of doing this simple task.

Robert H wrote:

NEVER has your Customer Service team "assisted" me. NEVER! They are an impediment to assistance. They are unable to complete simple tasks!

I have two Java certifications from Oracle. Over the period of two to three months, I have tried over and over again to get the correct wording of the Java certifications into my posting. The text material included by the people at Upwork does not even include the word Java ONCE.

OK, I gave them time. They have been able to give me empty apologies, but simply have been incapable of doing this simple task.

From what Vladimir explained, it is not a simple task.  It sounds like Upwork customer service explained it as well when they assisted you and you are not understanding it.  The wording on the certificates comes from a third party service.  They cannot update the text, they have to wait on the vendor to do it. 

My guess is, if they updated the text, which might be a simple task, it wouldn't help because when they pull the certificate data from the third party it will just over-write it.  Which means your simple task is to no avail.

You can be patient or PO'd either way you are going to have to wait.

Well then DONT USE THE THIRD PARTY! Do it yourself. Denying accountability and blaming the problem on an incompetant vendor means that you are incompetant, OR WORSE, it means that you tolerate and support incompetance.

Robert H wrote:

Well then DONT USE THE THIRD PARTY! Do it yourself. Denying accountability and blaming the problem on an incompetant vendor means that you are incompetant, OR WORSE, it means that you tolerate and support incompetance.

I think you are right, I am super tolerant of incompetence, I wouldn't even have to look far to find an example.

I support their right to use a third party for this because I realize that doing it yourself is something that is easily handwaved by someone like yourself but would be quite complicated in implementation.  I happen to be a software developer so I often find that people think things are easy without considering the human cost of something like this.  Just off the top of my head you would have to find organziations that provide certification, determine their validity, get permission to use their text on your site, and also procur the rights to use their trademarks.  That's without any technical considerations at all.

Prior to your rather rude complaint I did not even consider why someone might do this and now I am absolutely convinced you would be rather foolish to do it otherwise.

Today is August 29. Upwork has known about this problem for months. Just five days ago, they addressed the issue by saying that the party assigned this duty is unreliable. The problem with inaccurate certification text continues! Plus Upwork has "certified" the certification. The Upwork "certification" means ZILCH, NOTHING! By their own admission they have offloaded that task to a party that is TOTALLY UNRELIABLE!

Hi Robert,

I see that your ticket here was updated by one of our agents and she confirmed that the description was updated. Additionally, she provided instructions and a screenshot for how to add a specific Oracle Certification for Java. 

You can access your support requests here.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Upwork
tlsanders
Community Member

Robert H wrote:

I don't think the employees are the problem. Someone on high is setting the priorities, and the employees' job is to do what the higher-ups tell them to do, not what you tell them to do.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members