🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Upwork fails to protect freelancers' inte...
Page options
shahriarjp
Community Member

Upwork fails to protect freelancers' interest; its advocating for clients for sure.

I never trust that upwork is a neutral organization. It's all about advocating for clients. Few days ago, I won a dispute and upwork told the client that I did not need to issue a refund to him. But today upwork charged a huge available amount of my earnings saying that the client has reveresed the amount from his bank. if a client can reverse and chargeback a freelnacer after making a payment and ending the contract and losing in a dispute process, then why you people make the drama of dispute mediation and arbitration process? who cares about your dispute and arbitration process? Do the clients really care about your drama? See, I was not found wrong on any ground by upwork, I did not make any mistake, I showed all the proof of my work, and upwork mediator made a decision that I did not need to issue a refund. Also, I opted for arbitration but the client did not. Therefore I won in the dispute process.

Did your dispute and arbitration process benefit me from any angle? provided that your terms can not protect freelancers and clients show their middle finger to your rules, then why are these terms? For the sake of whom?

Upwork even can not stand their own rules; if they could, how do my earnings go to other people's pocket after upwork made the decision that I did not need to make a refund and I could go ahead? 

I will share this bad experience with upwork on various online platforms. 

5 REPLIES 5
spectralua
Community Member

It is true. I never saw unsatisfed chargeback.

a_lipsey
Community Member

Shahriar, I'm sorry this happened to you. First you have to understand Upwork didn't do this to you. When the client filed a chargeback with their bank, the bank automatically took the money back from Upwork. So Upwork has to take the money back from you because there was no money to pay you with. Upwork has been clear that chargebacks are not covered on fixed price contracts. However clients who do this are automatically banned. 

However, Upwork does fight the chargeback, so there is hope. And considering you went through arbitration and won, Upwork likely has a good position to fight the chargeback from the bank and still get your money back. I would cooperate with Upwork and work through the process because even though this is stressful that the bank does it automatically and THEN investigates, Upwork hopefully can prove, since the client went through arbitration, that this was a legit charge and not cause for a chargeback. 

People have reported here on the forum chargebacks that were successfully fought and won by Upwork, but it did take some time and patience. 

Again, I'm very sorry this happened to you, but Upwork doesn't want to lose that money either. Unfortunately the steps in the process are guilt before innocence from the bank, so they pull the money from Upwork and Upwork has to pass it on to you until they can prove it to the bank. Make sure to keep in communication with Upwork about fighting the chargeback because the bank should accept that this client went through an agreed upon arbitration process and lost. You should have a lot riding in your favor to fight it. 

Amanda thank you so much for your explanation. I hope upwork will fight strongly and I will be back on upwork again. I was upset since there are 3 big projects running on my upwork and I have to stop working on upwork since I don't want my earnings to go to the client's bank. I'm a top rated freelnacer with $25k earnings, So I don't want to stop working here. Please help me in the fight.

Shahriar H wrote:

Amanda thank you so much for your explanation. I hope upwork will fight strongly and I will be back on upwork again. I was upset since there are 3 big projects running on my upwork and I have to stop working on upwork since I don't want my earnings to go to the client's bank. I'm a top rated freelnacer with $25k earnings, So I don't want to stop working here. Please help me in the fight.

Have you been able to open a ticket or do you have an open ticket regarding the chargeback? Let me see if I can find the person who posted recently who won and see if I can link it for you here. 

Sorry for double reply, but here is a link to a thread where some forum members discuss that they did win the chargeback and what it took: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Have-you-worked-with-a-fraudulent-client/m-p/975497#M611...

Hope that helps. Be patient and try not to stress!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths