Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork fee for freelancer supplied by an agency

dion-scott
Dion S Member Since: Oct 17, 2016
1 of 7

Hello,

Can anyone tell me how much (what %) Upwork's fee is to the agency for a freelancer supplied by an agency?

More clearly, what percentage does the agency get charged for the freelancer? And, does the freelancer from an agency still pay the 20% Upwork fee?

Thanks,

Dion S

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 7

The agency pays the Upwork fees cuz they are paid by the client and then the agency pays you, so the sliding fee is on the agency.

dion-scott
Dion S Member Since: Oct 17, 2016
3 of 7

Thanks for the reply.

Do you know what the Upwork fees are for the agency?

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
BEST ANSWER
4 of 7

@Dion S wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

Do you know what the Upwork fees are for the agency?

The same as for individual freelancers.

Client pays the agency, the agency pays their agency freelancers whatever rate they like outside Upwork. The fees are no different at all

20% for the first $ 500

10% for $ 500 to $ 10 000

5% over $ 10 000

or Enterprise clients: 10% across the board.

View solution in original post

constanryuk
Angie O Member Since: Apr 25, 2018
5 of 7

Just to clarify with what was stated above. Agency already shoulders the Upwork fees so Freelancers do not need to pay them. Ie Client contracted to Agency at 10/hr bill rate. Agency earns 8/hr (10/hr - 20% Upwork Fees). Agency's Freelancer rate is at 5/hr. Freelancer gets the whole 5/hr because Agency already paid for the 20% Upwork fee. Is that correct?

nkocendova
Community Guru
Nina K Member Since: Nov 29, 2017
6 of 7

Hi Angie,

Your statement is correct in that the fees are absorbed by the agency and then the agency pays you according to your agreement with the agency.

~Nina
petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
7 of 7

@Angie O wrote:

Just to clarify with what was stated above. Agency already shoulders the Upwork fees so Freelancers do not need to pay them. Ie Client contracted to Agency at 10/hr bill rate. Agency earns 8/hr (10/hr - 20% Upwork Fees). Agency's Freelancer rate is at 5/hr. Freelancer gets the whole 5/hr because Agency already paid for the 20% Upwork fee. Is that correct?

The agency pays the agency freelancers OUTSIDE Upwork so it is neither here nor there. The above calculation demonstrates the sheer lunacy of the whole agency thing and why so many clients will never hire an agency freelancer.

Which client in their right mind wants to pay double what they would pay for the same freelancer if they hired them independently?

If I want a $ 10 dollar freelancer I hire a $ 10 freelancer, or two $ 5 freelancers. I do not pay $ 10 for a $ 5 freelancer, throwing $ 5 out of the window for the agency in the process. Ridiculous.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS