cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork fees for Elancers

Community Guru
Wassim T Member Since: May 29, 2015
1 of 12

I know many Elancers were asking about the announcement Upwork made recently about keeping the same fees for Elance clients & freelancers that done business together prior the move to Upwork. We all had questions on how will Upwork handle this. Today I received an email from Upwork customer support telling me that a refund has been made for the extra fees on one of my projects. The client and I decided to create the contract on Upwork some time ago to give it a try. 

I am copying below a copy of the message which I received today from Upwork. I will hide some parts of it to follow Upwork's community guidelines.

Hi Wassim,

Thank you for migrating your Elance account to Upwork and bringing your relationships.

You were paying the regular 10% Upwork fee on your contract "xxx" with your client xxx yyy. Since we are honoring the Elance fee for this contract, we changed the rate on your contract going forward. We also issued you a refund for $xxx, which is the excess service fees you paid.

You’ll see the refund in your account on your Transaction History.

And by the way the funds appeared as "available" so they weren't subject to the 6-days hold period obviously.

I am not sure if the process will be automated in the future, but it seems Upwork is going to handle this as a form of refund. 

I hope this helps those who were asking when Upwork is going to start applying those fees for Elancers, and the answer is they already did. 

Best regards, 

Wassim

Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
2 of 12

Great. Now can we make PayPal and LFT withdrawals without being skimmed for it?

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Community Guru
3 of 12

Fergus, 

I wouldn't complain if progress is being made on the platform. I know this is good news for some people and I thought of sharing it.

Like you, I loved Elance so much and wished it stays, but we both know this isn't going to happen.

You really don't have to raise problems whenever an announcement or improvement is being made. I mean it's like you're saying "I don't like it whatever you do, I either want this perfect or I don't need it". 

Well, even if that's the case I really respect your ideas, but can you please respect those who believe there's problems on Upwork but feel better when an improvement is made? 

Best regards, 

Wassim

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 12

Was the message automatic or did you contact CS?

Did your customer use an automated system? Or did they just make an account on Upwork?

Still haven't asked mine to move yet. I am probably gonna ride it out until the end of the month. I'm kinda a last minute, wing it kinda gal, so like Aug 31st I might be like "Ohh, so like, this Upwork thing...wanna come party with me and the cool kids?." lol

Community Guru
5 of 12

Hello Jenn, 

I don't think the message was automatic, but I didn't contact Customer Support too. I thought Upwork needed more time until this becomes available for Elancers and that's why I forgot about it until someone from Upwork contacted me today. 

I am not exactly sure how did my client register. I personally duplicated my profile first and when he landed on Upwork he found me on the "My Freelancers" page and created a contract for me from there. 

I don't think your clients can resist your invitation Smiley Wink

Best regards, 

Wassim

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
6 of 12

@Wassim T wrote:

Hello Jenn, 

I don't think the message was automatic, but I didn't contact Customer Support too. I thought Upwork needed more time until this becomes available for Elancers and that's why I forgot about it until someone from Upwork contacted me today. 

I am not exactly sure how did my client register. I personally duplicated my profile first and when he landed on Upwork he found me on the "My Freelancers" page and created a contract for me from there. 

I don't think your clients can resist your invitation Smiley Wink

Best regards, 

Wassim

Good to know, thank you. I'll have to watch out for that, because I'll totally forget too. lol 

Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
7 of 12

"I mean it's like you're saying "I don't like it whatever you do, I either want this perfect or I don't need it". "

Sure, I'd like it to be perfect, but I don't expect that; nothing's perfect. I just want it to be at least as good as what I was previously paying less for, and it isn't.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
8 of 12

Wassim, are you saying that people who aren't having a positive experience like you have shouldn't say anything because  some people don't have a bad experience? I'm starting to think that soon only positive things will be allowed to be discussed in the forum. 

great you had a good experience though.

Community Guru
9 of 12

Absolutely not, Mariska. I have no idea how did you conclude that. I absolutely appreciate Fergus' comments and he already knows that. We've been on Water Cooler for so long and now on Upwork and he is a professional Elance (and now Upwork) fellow. I also conquer with almost 90% of what Fergus usually shares here on the community. I don't know if you were following my replies but I have made lots of points just like Fergus did, and I loved Elance more comparing to what Upwork has to offfer as is right now.

However, my objection to Fergus this time was because I was trying to share some good & interesting news for some Elance users. Many people asked Garnor when they made the announcement on Water Cooler about when will this take effect and how will Upwork handle it.

You are allowed to discuss positive & negative things on Upwork. This is totally fine and you can read this under their updated guidelines (Check Upwork's Updated Guidelines).

I mean I currently have money in the Upwork system and I can't withdraw it because I need to wait some weird 6-days period which does sound to be related to anything on earth except of security! So NO... I am not an Upwork personnel neither do I speak on their behalf. I would only appreciate that when good news are shared, people appreciate it, and the news which I shared is good news for many many professionals in the Elance community.

I hope this answers your questions and I would even suggest that you keep raising your voice (and I'll be doing the same) to make Upwork a better platform. Though, I hope you'll share these ideas on separate threads to give them better exposure instead of going off-topic on someone else's post.

Best regards,

Wassim

Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
10 of 12

Woman Wink  Just checking Wassim.... 

I won't be raising my voice TOO too much though because I don't know what will *************************************************************************************(I edited this myself in case it goes against community guidelines Robot wink )

Robot Very Happy

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS