🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Upwork fees for new freelancer
Page options
b335a62a
Community Member

Upwork fees for new freelancer

Hi, my name is Daneri I m working with my first client and I want to know why Upwork is taking 20% every week of the summary of money I made it because the rules said that is '' 20% for the first $500 you bill your client.''  so every week will be the same Upwork going to take every week the 20% of every payment until I get my first  500 dollars.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Daneri P wrote:

Thank you so much for the information about the fees and the review and I just refund the amount and the review is still in my profile.

It takes few days for reviews to show up and disappear.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
petra_r
Community Member

Daneri P wrote:

Hi, my name is Daneri I m working with my first client and I want to know why Upwork is taking 20% every week of the summary of money I made it because the rules said that is '' 20% for the first $500 you bill your client.''  so every week will be the same Upwork going to take every week the 20% of every payment until I get my first  500 dollars.

You summed it up well. Now... what is your question? 

Until you have billed a client $500, all payments from that client will have 20% fee deducted. Once you have billed that client more than $500, the fee drops to 10% for that client (only) for any future payments up to $10 000 (with that one client), at which point it drops to 5%..

Hey there how are you?

I got a slightly related question. these are the Upwork fees:

• $0-$500: 20%
  • $500.01-$10,000: 10%
  • $10,000.01 or more: 5%

Let us say that I have Client A and B

I earned 700 usd from Client A, so he will now be under 10%

I have earned only 100 usd from Client B, but since I got 500.01+ earning overall, would I be on 10% fee for Client B? or is it going to be Per Client basis? (should be 500.01+ per client to be on 10%)

Duane M wrote:

Hey there how are you?

I have earned only 100 usd from Client B, but since I got 500.01+ earning overall, would I be on 10% fee for Client B? or is it going to be Per Client basis? (should be 500.01+ per client to be on 10%)

It's per client.

So the fee for client B remains at 20% until "client B earnings" hits $500.

Duane M wrote:

Hey there how are you?

Hi Duane, it is per client. So once Client B reaches $500, you'll drop to 10% for him too. 

2a05aa63
Community Member

Daneri P wrote:

The fee is not week dependent. You need to sum up all the earnings you got from the client and when it hits $500, the fee gets lowered to 10%.

BTW, you better refund those $3. That review is not worth keeping for that small of a value.

Viacheslav, I'm inclined to agree with you... But then I looked at what the job post said: "I am looking for freelancers with the lowest rates."

So, she had it coming. Yet, she consciously chose to take not just 3 dollars but 3 dollars and 33 cents, so it must have been worth it.

Each individual's life situation is different. We shouldn't condemn anyone. Normal decent people know what they are doing.

Mikko R wrote:
Viacheslav, I'm inclined to agree with you... But then I looked at what the job post said: "I am looking for freelancers with the lowest rates."

So, she had it coming. Yet, she consciously chose to take not just 3 dollars but 3 dollars and 33 cents, so it must have been worth it.

Each individual's life situation is different. We shouldn't condemn anyone. Normal decent people know what they are doing.

I think she just doesn't know that refunding the whole sum will remove the feedback.

petra_r
Community Member

Mikko R wrote:
Yet, she consciously chose to take not just 3 dollars but 3 dollars and 33 cents, so it must have been worth it.

What a bizzare statement? What do you mean? How would she have "chosen to take not just 3 dollars but 3 dollars and 33 cents"

It was an hourly contract at $5 an hour, she logged 40 minutes. That adds up to $3.33. 

Mikko R wrote:
So, she had it coming. 

She "had it coming?" Seriosly, Mikko? "Had it COMING?"

With all due respect, you want to climb off your high horse a bit. 

Thank you so much for the information about the fees and the review and I just refund the amount and the review is still in my profile.

Daneri P wrote:

It takes few days for reviews to show up and disappear.

jaycrutcher
Community Member

Daneri P wrote:

They will take 20% of the first $500 per client. If you are working for $5 or less then this will seem bigger than it is because the amount of work you do to earn $500 will be far more than if your rates were higher. I would suggest you increase your rate and your standard for who you work with. Clients that want to work only with new freelancers for very low wages are often looking for someone to take advantage of. They will not be nice if you are not willing to suffer their severe character flaws. You will help yourself by vetting them very carefully, or avoiding them all together.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths