🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Upwork get strong against scammers. Its easy ...
Page options
syed_usamakazmi
Community Member

Upwork get strong against scammers. Its easy for them

It took me two days. I am in PKT, he was in EST which is 9 hours behind my timezone, i stayed up for two days late at night, i looked into his code base, offered him the solutions for his problems. Who will be responsible for this ? He asked me to get out of upwork. He will pay me directly. I asked him t stay on upwork, but he didn't agreed. At the end, when he forced me, i asked him to pay me 30% as upfront money to make sure, we both are looking forward to something. But this is what we get on upwork ? after giving our days and nights with dedication to gain something in return ? Upwork tighten up you algos for such scammers. Full of anger rightnow. I am facing this alot now. People bid with hourly project, ask for the things and then offers like they are the bigest begger on upwork and looking for free help. 

Catch Him, before he bite someone else again. 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lucioric
Community Member

If the client wants you to discuss a project with a team in Slack, before the coding work, he can start the contract with you hourly with 1-2 hours allowed (so he controls that you don't burn so much hours without doing coding) or with a little fixed price contract. That is all, but free work is not allowed by Upwork TOS, because it damages the economic redituability of Upwork and also of other freelancers, as it is unloyal competence. And to yourself; to your income and your dignity.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
NikolaS

Hi Syed,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I sent your report to our team for further investigation and appropriate actions will be taken according to our internal processes.

Please note that you were not hired for this job and shouldn't provide any work until your client sends you an offer and a contract is created under your My Jobs tab. Please note that any request for free work is not allowed on Upwork, and it is a violation of Upwork's Terms of Service.

Additionally, please know that sharing contact information before a contract has started is against Upwork’s Upwork's Terms of Service and that all communications prior to the contract starting must take place on Upwork. We also encourage you to let us know if a TOS violation has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here.

You may want to check this article for more information about circumvention

~ Nikola
Upwork

Thanks for the response but the thing is, i did recieve this reply before as well. Normally its common for devs to work on slack, so when someone ask to come and join there we go there but we keep the contract on upwork. We chat through slack but work for payment through upwork. In that regards, normally devs move to slack, start discussing the project. Reason behind this is, client says how can i start the contract when we haven't discuss the project or you haven't looked into the project or given any solution yet. How can i be sure that u can do it or not, in that regards we have to do this. How can upwork help in this ? How upwork is thinking on this ? I am sure Upwork team have thoughts on this, but why no action yet ? 

It's fine to use Slack after you have a contract in place. Before you have a contract your only options are Upwork's messenger or the integrated calling or Zoom options. That's it. 

But you also agreed to take payment off Upwork, which you clearly understand isn't allowed, so I'm not sure what you're expecting Upwork to do here.

Well yes wes, i did go out from upwork messenger but not went out for the payment. Thats when he realises that i am not going to be trapped. I mentioned that i was able to take the screenshot in the last moment before he closed the workspace on slack, i wish i could take all the screenshot for all the chat. I never went out for the payment.

Reason why i created this thread is to highlight him and his scams so that as a member on upwork, i could stop him to scam any other newbies who thinks, getting clients out of upwork will be good we'll save 20/ 10% (which we have to give to upwork) and don't underatand that it is beneficial for them that their payments are secure by upworks escrow

Sounds like in the game of mental strength, you lost. Sounds like you'll continue to lose if you keep looking at things this way.

a_lipsey
Community Member

Syed Usama H wrote:

It took me two days. I am in PKT, he was in EST which is 9 hours behind my timezone, i stayed up for two days late at night, i looked into his code base, offered him the solutions for his problems. Who will be responsible for this ? He asked me to get out of upwork. He will pay me directly. I asked him t stay on upwork, but he didn't agreed. At the end, when he forced me, i asked him to pay me 30% as upfront money to make sure, we both are looking forward to something. But this is what we get on upwork ? after giving our days and nights with dedication to gain something in return ? Upwork tighten up you algos for such scammers. Full of anger rightnow. I am facing this alot now. People bid with hourly project, ask for the things and then offers like they are the bigest begger on upwork and looking for free help. 

Catch Him, before he bite someone else again. 

It's only easy for them when you don't follow the rules and make it easy for them. All you had to say was "no" and move on. He didn't force you to do anything. You wanted the job and the money so you said yes, even though doing so broke the rules and most certainly would end in you getting scammed. Next time play by the rules and you won't get scammed. It's not easy for them if you avail yourself of the tools to protect yourself. In this case, that tool was the word "no".  Remember you have the power to choose what you will or won't do. 

Thanks for the reply Amanda. It is true that i should have played by the rules, which by the way i did partially and got saved and u can see in the screenshots, that i never moved out from the upwork for the contract.

But this is also true that now a days, on upwork, this is getting very common that client bid as hourly, put up higher rates, asks u the solution idea for the problem, and then qoute u the most lower rate. Its like either u accept it or i can go to someone else lower with the knowledge u gave me.. what to do with that ? How u are going to tackle this ?

Syed Usama H wrote:
Thanks for the reply Amanda. It is true that i should have played by the rules, which by the way i did partially and got saved and u can see in the screenshots, that i never moved out from the upwork for the contract.

But this is also true that now a days, on upwork, this is getting very common that client bid as hourly, put up higher rates, asks u the solution idea for the problem, and then qoute u the most lower rate. Its like either u accept it or i can go to someone else lower with the knowledge u gave me.. what to do with that ? How u are going to tackle this ?

You say no and move on to the next client. The reason you get crap offers is because you accept crap offers. Have some self respect and say no. 

None of us can see the screenshots. They were removed bc they were against the community guidelines. Your post says you went off Upwork with him. You say he forced you to. 

But at some point, thjs is also true that u can't do anything. Like lets say a job post is about bug fixes, client will ask u to look into the project, then will ask u how u will do it, now in some ways if he is not scammer then he is making sure of the resource capability but if he is scammer then what are we gonna do about it ? Either u do it, or he goes to someone else with u solutions

Never had client that would ask me to look into code before even starting contract, it's not how things works. Why would you want to spend your free time searching for solution to solve problem while you are still in negotiating with client ?

Syed Usama H wrote:
But at some point, thjs is also true that u can't do anything

Nonsense. You say "No" and move on.

You violated Upwork's terms of service and then told Upwork about it by posting here with evidence of your policy violations.... You're lucky you haven't been suspended (yet).

Thanks for highlighting me that i provided the proof of my voilation by myself, which i already knew and still decided to come on the Comunity forum, thinking, even if it does gets me suspended, its okay, because i did the voilation but i wanted to report that client as well which i did and one of the upwork member just forwarded the request.

But ignoring the fact (how client played or scammed me or may be scamming other feelance members) and getting back at freelancer, never expected such responses from the cumunity members. May be that is because the screenshots gets removed which could tell majority of members, who replied here, that i never moved out for payment, it was just for the chat. He ran away because i asked him to stay on upwork for the payment.

Anyways i closed this post after accepting one of answers accepting the fact that yes next time i have to imporve where i was wrong this time. But stop ignoring the facts.

Thanks

lucioric
Community Member

If the client wants you to discuss a project with a team in Slack, before the coding work, he can start the contract with you hourly with 1-2 hours allowed (so he controls that you don't burn so much hours without doing coding) or with a little fixed price contract. That is all, but free work is not allowed by Upwork TOS, because it damages the economic redituability of Upwork and also of other freelancers, as it is unloyal competence. And to yourself; to your income and your dignity.

Finally, Informational Comment. Thanks Lucio, i will keep this in mind.

A lot of this comes down to making good judgements about whether it's worth investing time in winning a given client. It also depends on the strength of your position in terms of supply and demand. If you're not short of work you can afford to be more selective,  and possibly insist on a paid "discovery" job before agreeing to the main job. (I rarely do that with a new client, but perhaps I should do it more.)

Given that there's a big surplus of freelancers on Upwork, many freelancers are in a weak position, and so are more likely to end up dealing with bad clients.  That's inevitable if people are desperate to work. Still, it should be a no-brainer to immediately cut loose a potential client who asks you to work outside Upwork.

Agree to your response, and after this post in community forum, i thought it is just a forum when one come's with the problem and get further blame in return and go back but i am getting nice infos recently through Comunity Gurus such as you. Also  i have realised that TOCs are there but they don't play vital/ major role in real time facts/ decisions. It is easy for them to say JUST LET THEM GO when u are looking for projects to earn.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members

Upcoming Events
Jun 25
Crafting Your Compelling Story
Talent Toolbox English