🐈 Community
ampetrovska

Upwork getting worse and worse for freelancers

I have been a client of Upwork for many years and you are worse and worse every month! This is unbelievable!

I have ended a contract and from top rated with 100% I have gone to 60%? Why? Because you are crazy!
Not only that, now you've decided that my profile should be private because again you are crazy!
Do you know how much money are you taking from freelancers from every contract?! You've gone from 10% to 20%!!! WOW, what a robbery!

How am I supposed to work now and get jobs when you've made my profile private!

Thank you so much, you are the worst!

You've just lost me as a client!!

8 REPLIES 8
kat303

@Ana M. P wrote:

I have been a client of Upwork for many years and you are worse and worse every month! This is unbelievable!

I have ended a contract and from top rated with 100% I have gone to 60%? Why? Because you are crazy!
Not only that, now you've decided that my profile should be private because again you are crazy!
Do you know how much money are you taking from freelancers from every contract?! You've gone from 10% to 20%!!! WOW, what a robbery!

How am I supposed to work now and get jobs when you've made my profile private!

Thank you so much, you are the worst!

You've just lost me as a client!!

1. If you ended the contract that does effect your JSS score. The client should be the one to end it so they can leave both public and private feedback and it's the private feedback that effects a JSS. Of course, that isn't always the case. And clients once they get their work, just leave this site and don't bother to close the contract. Or they disappear in the middle of a job. and in both cases, the freelancer has to be the one to close the contract. I agree with you, that in those situations, it's not fair that a freelancer should be penalized. But this is Upwork's site and they can run it any way they wish.  There are other freelancing sites out there if a freelancers feels as strongly as you do. Otherwise, we just make the best of it.

Upwork makes a profile private if a freelancer doesn't land a job and get paid in 30 days. A profile that Upwork had made private is on available to clients who SEARCH for freelancers. It does NOT affect a freelancers ability to search for job, or submit proposals. It does NOT affect the ability of a client to access a freelancer's profile once they receive a proposal from that freelancer. And it does not affect the ability of a client to hire and pay that freelancer. Just contact customer service and ask them to reset your profile back to public, or if you receive payment from a client it will automatically reset back to public.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Sorry you feel this way, Ana. Please, note that your Job Success Score is based on the outcomes of contracts you've completed in the past 2 years. Client's public and private feedback as well as contracts without feedback, inactive contracts and contracts with no money paid contribute to your Job Success Score.

Your profile visibility has been reset and it should be public now.

~ Valeria
Upwork
iaabraham

100% to 60% seems unbelievably harsh, unless several contracts went horribly wrong in a couple of weeks ...

@Isabelle Anne A wrote:
100% to 60% seems unbelievably harsh, unless several contracts went horribly wrong in a couple of weeks ...

She only has 5-6 contracts within the 2-year period (depending on the point in October at which one ended). If this just happened, chances are that the October one just dropped out.

That leaves her with 4 contracts with 5-star feedback, one with 4.15, and three long-term inactive contracts. 

joie8816

I definitely agree... 20% is robbery... how the hell do they justify this king of robbery?

They don't have to justify anything because it's us who came to their site and registered. But I agree with it being an abusive taxation. It's as "easy" as founding an Upwork II with only 5% of taxation.

@Nicolas V wrote:

It's as "easy" as founding an Upwork II with only 5% of taxation.

I can't wait for you to release this Upwork II. With only 5% of, hm... taxation.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

@Nicolas V wrote:

They don't have to justify anything because it's us who came to their site and registered. But I agree with it being an abusive taxation. It's as "easy" as founding an Upwork II with only 5% of taxation.

Good luck with that, since Upwork is bleeding millions of dollars a year, according to their IPO filing.