cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Upwork giving client an unfair advantage!

Highlighted
Peter J Member Since: Nov 28, 2015
1 of 26

So I did a trial project for a client because neither of us was sure how much time and work it would actually take to do the full work that we initially discussed. The client was happy doing the trial (small part of the job discussed) but after the trial was done I told him that it would cost more for each task compared to the trial run. Then the client got pissed and gave me a false review.

Unfortunately I went on vacation and missed the 14 day deadline to respond. Upwork said I have to clear it with the client. When I contacted the client he said that he didn't want me to retaliate on his review and started to mock me Smiley Sad

This is not fair. It's not fair to me to have a false review. It's not fair to potential clients browsing my profile. It's not fair to freelancers browsing the clients profile.

I don't understand why Upwork puts the client in control of the false review that is visible on my profile. I tried to talk sence with Upwork support but they are not interested in solving this and just points me to their terms and to my non-cooporative client.

Many other review platforms like Fiverr, Google etc. you can change the review. I don't understand why Upwork can't be more pragmatic in this case.

I don't want to change my review. I just want to give my perspective of what happend by responding to the clients review. I feel very bad about not being in control of my own profile.

I'm very unhappy.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 26

Hi Peter,

I am sorry to hear this contract did not turn out well and I understand your frustration. However, Upwork team generally doesn't review or revise feedback provided by users. There are these limited situations when feedback may be removed:

• Spam, advertising or other commercial content
  • Content that endorses illegal activity
  • Content that personally identifies another user
  • Political, religious, or social commentary rather than a genuine comment regarding the work experience
  • Profane, vulgar, obscene, slanderous, libelous, threatening or discriminatory language, or adult material

The best way to address feedback you disagree with is to professionally respond to it. Note that freelancers have 28 days after the end of the contract to post a response to feedback comment.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
3 of 26

What's false about his review?

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
4 of 26

Peter,

I know it spoils your very good record, but the actual words are not that bad, and it is temporary. If I were a client I would not be in the least put off by this review. It is a pity you can't respond to it (or can you?), but I don't think it is in any way going to stop you getting more work. Move on. The review and your client will soon be history.

Edited to add: Peter have you had any jobs since last year?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
5 of 26

OK - what is it that you guys can see that I cannot?

On Peter's profile, I see 6 completed jobs with feedback - the latest one dating back to December 2014. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
6 of 26

Edited. Oops!

Highlighted
7 of 26

You are missing the point. I'm unhappy about not being able to give a response to the review I got regardless if it was good or bad.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
8 of 26

@Peter J wrote:

You are missing the point. I'm unhappy about not being able to give a response to the review I got regardless if it was good or bad.

You could have done had you not waited quite so long..... Obviously almost a year and a half later it is not going to happen...... 

Highlighted
9 of 26

Petra, you are wrong. My first contact with Upwork with this review was on July 09, 2014 12:18. Request ID: 2965819. Although my initial thought was to remove the review. But even at that time it was not possible to leave a comment on the review.

@Petra R wrote:

@Peter J wrote:

You could have done had you not waited quite so long..... Obviously almost a year and a half later it is not going to happen...... 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
10 of 26

@Peter J wrote:

Petra, you are wrong.

Well, one of us is wrong. I don't think it's me.

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211068448-Can-I-dispute-or-remove-bad-feedback-

"You also have the opportunity to respond to any feedback comment to offer a clarification or rebuttal. This way both the client's feedback and your response will be visible to all future clients looking at your work history"

This was introduced in January or February 2014 - prior to that freelancers were able to hide comments.

You could also have refunded and the feedback would have vanished completely.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS