cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork giving client an unfair advantage!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
21 of 26

He could have responded to the feedback, but there is a limited time window which is long expired. He could also have refunded and the feedback would have been gone, but it is too late for that too.

Highlighted
Peter J Member Since: Nov 28, 2015
22 of 26

@Petra R wrote:

He could have responded to the feedback, but there is a limited time window which is long expired. He could also have refunded and the feedback would have been gone, but it is too late for that too.

According to Upwork support response July 09, 2014 13:10. Request ID 2965819:

"Even if you refund your client, feedback will still be available."

So feedback would not have been gone as you wrote.

According to Upwork support response October 14, 2015 04:01. Request ID 5001153:

"If the 14-day period had lapsed and you wanted to leave a feedback to your contract, you may kindly contact your client to enable you to leave feedback on their side (in their details page for the contract). You will receive a notification when they have done so. Then, just return to your Contracts page and there will be a link you can use."

So Upwork still gives me a chance to leave a response. But only if the client agrees to regardless of the 14-day period. And then we come to the subject of this thread. "Upwork giving client an unfair advantage!" Client doesn't want to and is in full controll of our mutual review.

@Client wrote:

"I'm sorry but I am not going to change it, or to allow for you to leave negative comments in retaliation."

I don't want to remove, change or retaliate on the clients review even if I think it's wrong. I just want to give my side of the story. Retaliate on a review just looks silly. Upwork refers me to the client to flip the switch. I do understand that there is a 14-day period (which I missed due to vacation). But I don't understand why I can't flip the swith my self (or have Upwork do it for me and/or the client) when I beleive the review is wrong, which is why I think Upwork is giving the client an unfair advantage. I was hoping for a more pragmatic aproach by Upwork in solving this "dispute" between me and the client. That's it!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
23 of 26

LOL Did you really ask him to allow you to respond back to his bad feedback? That's funny.

One thing I'll miss from the Elance system was when a client would give a bad rating to a freelancer and yet the freelancer was so oblivious they'd give glowing reviews to the client. But once they saw that the client gave bad feedback, they'd have a chance to respond, so the feedback thread would be:

Client: "This freelancer was horrible."

Freelancer: This was a wonderful client with great work.

Response: THIS IS AN AWFUL CLIENT SCAMMER HORRIBLE

haha

Gonna miss those lulz

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
24 of 26

Peter wrote:

"You are missing the point. I'm unhappy about not being able to give a response to the review I got regardless if it was good or bad."

Peter, that review (which isn't that bad) was written nearly 18 months ago. Why have you got a bee in your bonnet about it now? There has to be a statute of limitations somewhere. That job was followed by another with an excellent rating. A few more like that and your unfriendly client will be history. There is nothing you can do about it. Just move on.

(There are no excuses when you are a freelancer. You are not allowed to be sick, have holidays, have computer crashes, dogs that eat your mouse, your screen, or your tablet; you may not suffer earthquakes, floods or any other natural or unnatural disaster - and so it goes.)

Cheer up and have a cyber glass of wine on me.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
25 of 26

Peter wrote

I don't want to remove, change or retaliate on the clients review even if I think it's wrong. I just want to give my side of the story. Retaliate on a review just looks silly. Upwork refers me to the client to flip the switch. I do understand that there is a 14-day period (which I missed due to vacation). But I don't understand why I can't flip the swith my self (or have Upwork do it for me and/or the client) when I beleive the review is wrong, which is why I think Upwork is giving the client an unfair advantage. 

It works both ways. There is no advantage to either party, as neither can see the feedback that was left until both have left feedback, or 2 weeks have passed. This is the same for client and freelancer alike.

feedback is double blind, which means retaliation feedback can not be done. This is why there is a 2 week window. 

You could have responded had you known how, but you didn't.

What I don't understand is why you get all upset about it now, almost a year and a half later?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
26 of 26

The bottom line is the feedback is there.

It's not going away.

You cannot respond this late.

Your job score dropped because of it.

Move on.

Get some quick cheap jobs with good feedback in the next few weeks and it will go right back up. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS