Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork has no shame

elena_ral
Elena Raluca C Member Since: Aug 8, 2016
11 of 69

Hello, Angela!

Can you please send me a private message, so we can start a conversation? I'm also from Romania, new on UpWork, I need some help and it seems I can't contact other members yet.

Thanks!

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
12 of 69

Hi Elena,

Feel free to share the problem you're having right here in the Community, so both moderators and other members can try to help you resolve it.

Untitled
elena_ral
13 of 69

Thank you, Vladimir!

The problem is I found various jobs which would suit me perfctly but I am afraid to go further. These are the reasons why:
- I don't know which is the exact purpose of writing my address, which are the implications. Will I receive something at this address? Because I completed the address where I live and not the one on my ID card;
- I don't have a VAT number as a freelancer and I don't intend to get one, so are there any consequences on my full time job or my tax payments in Romania?
- main problem: I didn't set a payment method because I simply don't know which is the best for me, as a Romanian freelancer with no VAT and one bank account, with debit card. At first, I thought of PayPal and I understood it's not available for a debit card anymore... Now I'm thinking of Local Funds Transfer but still...

Thank you very much for your support, guys!

dvo_arch
Ace Contributor
Dimitar O Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
14 of 69

Hi Elena,

Paypal is working with VISA Electron debit card. No worries Smiley Wink

elena_ral
15 of 69

Thank you, Dimitar, but I have a MasterCard debit card Smiley Sad

dvo_arch
Ace Contributor
Dimitar O Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
16 of 69

You can just ask your bank for a VISA Electron, its not a big deal to get one more card on the same bank account.

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
17 of 69

Hi Elena,

To your first two questions:

- I don't know which is the exact purpose of writing my address, which are the implications. Will I receive something at this address? Because I completed the address where I live and not the one on my ID card;

Upwork requests these information for record purposes and also for verifying your details in certain cases. You should use your legal name, address and other personal on your Contact Info page.

- I don't have a VAT number as a freelancer and I don't intend to get one, so are there any consequences on my full time job or my tax payments in Romania?

You can use your account without having a VAT number and Upwork will add your country-specific VAT to our service fee, and remit this tax to your tax authorities. We will also charge VAT to purchases of services and memberships on our platform. This means you’ll see an extra VAT charge on the transaction screen when purchasing premium Upwork memberships and additional Connects.

Upwork does not charge and does not take responsibility for VAT that may or may not be due on charges by you as a Freelancer to your client. That is a separate question and you should consult your tax advisor whether to charge your client VAT for your services. You can find more information in the following threads (here and here), and in this Help article.

Our users from Romania will be able to advise on your third question.

Untitled
jmeyn
Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
18 of 69

@Elena Raluca C wrote:

Thank you, Vladimir!

The problem is I found various jobs which would suit me perfctly but I am afraid to go further. These are the reasons why:
- main problem: I didn't set a payment method because I simply don't know which is the best for me, as a Romanian freelancer with no VAT and one bank account, with debit card. At first, I thought of PayPal and I understood it's not available for a debit card anymore... Now I'm thinking of Local Funds Transfer but still...

Thank you very much for your support, guys!

Hi Elena,

You have to realise that as a freelancer you are running a business. Hence income tax is due. If you are exempted from charging VAT you would also to charge VAT to your clients within Romania. If you want to hide your income generated on Upwork from your tax authorities, check out how tightly your banks and thus your bank account are controlled. Then there is always the risk of Upwork being audited by the EU, that's the moment all freelancer accounts are open to tax authorities. 

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
19 of 69

Hi Anna,

I am clarifying this information with the team and will get back to you with an answer.

~ Valeria
Upwork
colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
20 of 69

And  can you add France to the question time.

For example, an autoentrepreneur works on a different system.  We are not allowed to charge VAT for our services, and therefore, we do not pay service VAT to the government. (We pay in other ways but that has nothing to do with the case here).

If Upwork adds a USA VAT service charge to their 10% that is one thing. The freelancer has to swallow that charge or cost it in to the proposals he or she makes. But it should be global. Everyone should have to pay it - otherwise the bidding system becomes even more unbalanced. Why are all the other countries excluded?

But if Upwork then starts to remit this amount to a totally bewildered foreign tax authority, there is bound to be trouble. Apart from which, the tax authorities in France like numbers to be rounded up. If they start getting funny little sums and have to cope with exchange rates as well, then all Upwork freelancers declared as autoentrpeneurs in France, may just as well shut up shop!

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS