🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Upwork has refunded my weekly payment to my c...
Page options
d081e4d0
Community Member

Upwork has refunded my weekly payment to my client.

Hello Upwork, 

I have facing a big problem. I have worked for a client for $560 by an hourly contract. All the amount has been refunded to client without any request.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: " I have worked for a client for $560 by an hourly contract. All the amount has been refunded to client without any request."

You should have followed the rule for Upwork Payment Protection.

That's what I do.

If I had worked for $560 on an hourly contract, then upwork would not have refunded my money to the client. Because I follow the rules for Upwork Payment Protection.

Was there a reason that you didn't follow the rules for Upwork Payment Protection?

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Muhammad, 

It looks like you're already being assisted through your support ticket. Please don't hesitate to update your ticket thread if you have further questions regarding your concern and the team handling your case will continue assisting you.

~ Avery
Upwork
d081e4d0
Community Member

I have not recieved any solution yet. 

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: " I have worked for a client for $560 by an hourly contract. All the amount has been refunded to client without any request."

You should have followed the rule for Upwork Payment Protection.

That's what I do.

If I had worked for $560 on an hourly contract, then upwork would not have refunded my money to the client. Because I follow the rules for Upwork Payment Protection.

Was there a reason that you didn't follow the rules for Upwork Payment Protection?

Preston, I know we do diffrent things, but that wouldn't work for me and the way I work. I only accept flat rate contracts, usually with clearly stated milestones, or contracts that allow manual time. So far, I guess I've been lucky as I've had very few problems. The one time I used the UW hourly tracking app was ridiculous for me, as I like to bounce from project to project, or even stop and think or take a walk, during which I really am still working on the project, albeit in my head and not at my desk logged into the app. On hourly jobs with manual time allowed, I usually give the client an estimate of how many hours I think it will take, and most of the time, I'm pretty close.And I think that if the client agrees to manual time, they should still be held accountable for paying under Upwork Payment Protection, otherwise, they don't have to agree to it.

re: "I know we do diffrent things, but that wouldn't work for me and the way I work. I only accept flat rate contracts"

My post was addressed to the original poster of this thread, who had a problem involving an hourly contract.

At this point, we have no reason to believe that the nature of his work required manual hours. So as far as we know, he could apply the rules for Upwork Payment Protection to his work as he moves forward.

Your are right. I agree with you.

Hi Preston, 

My client has allowed me to track hours manullay as I was working on a Shopify store for him, that's the reason for tracking hours manually. 

Muhammad A wrote:

Hi Preston, 

My client has allowed me to track hours manullay as I was working on a Shopify store for him, that's the reason for tracking hours manually. 

But you didn't have to. Working on a Shopify store is all on your computer, so there is no reason you couldn't just turn on time tracker and get paid. 

You're right sir, My client has no issue with me. I have already communicated with my client and he is asking to wait till 10th of Jan for further discussion. and thanks for your comment. 

petra_r
Community Member

Muhammad A wrote:

You're right sir, My client has no issue with me.

Then why hasn't he paid for your hours despite Upwork trying to charge him over and over again?

Muhammad A wrote:

he is asking to wait till 10th of Jan for further discussion. and thanks for your comment. 

In other words, your client has no money and is somehow hoping that he'll have some money by the 10th. Or he is just fobbing you off and trying to buy time. Bottom line - Upwork didn't refund the client - the client never paid in the first place.

Muhammad A wrote:

I was working on a Shopify store for him, that's the reason for tracking hours manually. 

That is not a valid reason. At any rate, every time you add manual time, you are told and confirm that you understand that there is no protection with manual time...

d081e4d0
Community Member

Sure, I recently communicated with my client and he will pay me that amount via Bonus amount. 

The client IS held accountable and their account is suspended if they don't pay. Under Upwork's payment protection, Upwork pays you out of their own pocket. As this is the case, I can see why they would require proof of the work that the freelancer did, and not just take their word for it that it was 10 hours or whatever. There are scamming freelancers who try to take advantage of the hourly payment protection, and if Upwork were to just hand out payments to everyone who made a claim, honest freelancers would end up financing this through higher service charges.

Peter G wrote:

I think that if the client agrees to manual time, they should still be held accountable for paying under Upwork Payment Protection, otherwise, they don't have to agree to it.

You are confused and conflating two things:

1) The client being held accountable

2) the Hourly Payment Protection.

1) Clients are held accountable. If they fail to pay, their account is suspended.

2) The payment protection doesn't mean Upwork goes to the client's house and shakes them until they pay, it means that Upwork pays the freelancer out of their own pocket when a client defaults, provided the terms of the protection are met. Obviously manual time doesn't qualify or there would be even more attempts to scam the protection and it would end up being abolished altogether.

jiban_110
Community Member

Hello Brother, You are Bangladeshi. Your Problems very hard. I have some Solution.

Jiban A wrote:

Hello Brother, You are Bangladeshi. Your Problems very hard. I have some Solution.

What is your solution?

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members