oumaimatassi

Upwork have a stupid "Rising Talent" Algorithm

Hello all, 

I was browsing today freelancers in my category of Translation and saw this profile :

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

He/She ( the name of the freelancer is **Edited for Community Guidelines** 😛 ) has a Rising talent badge but why ?? 

Simply because in the profile he/she mentioned that he is fluent in ALL THE LANGUAGES ! from Afrikaans to Vietnamese.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

But how he passed the profile review in the first place? .. weird Smiley Frustrated

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Oumaima,

Thanks for flagging this profile, I shared it with out team so they can action the account for violating our ToS. 

Untitled

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
pandoraharper

That freelancer is associated with an Agency, and in fact may even be the owner of said Agency. I am not sure about the rules regarding language skills in a case like this.  The copy on the profile is good, and the guy seems to be the UK.

Or it could be totally fake and so on. But at first glance, it looks like it could be legit.

colettelewis

No - it's OK although unusual (as far as languages are concerned). It's an "agency" but probably a farmer. Sadly, it's allowed.

But before it gets zapped for you, remove that link as it's not allowed on the forum.

I can't understand why you are not "rising talent", as I have seen profiles that have no jobs at all, and others that shouldn't even be on the site, who have been given this doubtful honour.

Keep going and ignore these labels. Make sure you stick to your rates though. 😉

@Nichola L wrote:

No - it's OK although unusual (as far as languages are concerned). It's an "agency" but probably a farmer. Sadly, it's allowed.

No it isn't allowed. It is NOT an agency profile, it is an individual profile of the agency owner it seems, which must be in his own name and describe him, not his agency - and the profile has a fake picture, fake name and is offering agency services which is NOT allowed.

I completely agree it's a farmer. Another one.

Sigh

@Petra R wrote:

@Nichola L wrote:

No it isn't allowed. It is NOT an agency profile, it is an individual profile offering agency sevices which is NOT allowed.

Sigh

Grr sorry to hear that. Was hoping it was legit.

Edit: note to self, more coffee needed

@Pandora H wrote:

@Petra R wrote:

@Nichola L wrote:

No it isn't allowed. It is NOT an agency profile, it is an individual profile offering agency sevices which is NOT allowed.

Sigh

Grr sorry to hear that. Was hoping it was legit.

Edit: note to self, more coffee needed

The agency may be as legit as the rest (interpret that as you please....). That individual profile breaks T.o.S. on all sorts of levels.

@Petra R wrote:

@Nichola L wrote:

No it isn't allowed. It is NOT an agency profile, it is an individual profile of the agency owner it seems, which must be in his own name and describe him, not his agency - and the profile has a fake picture, fake name and is offering agency services which is NOT allowed.

Sigh

I confess to being totally, totally ignorant as to how agencies work, but I thought if you had an agency, then you as a freelancer (with the agency) could advertise on your profile what you could deliver - in this case a zillion translation pairs.

How does it really work?

@Nichola L wrote:

How does it really work?

You have your own profile, in your own legal name and describing your own skills, with your own photo etc.

You then start an agency with yourself as the manager (that agency profile could look like the profile in question) and all the people in your agency have to have their own profiles on Upwork and anyone working on the client' jobs has to be hired individually, through the agency.

The client pays the agency for the work done by the agency freelancers they hired, the agency pays their freelancers outside Upwork.

Personally I think Upwork would not be a worse place if the whole concept of agencies was simply discontinued or al least no new ones allowed.

Thanks Petra,

🙂

tlsanders

OP, how did you divine that the long list of languages was the reason Upwork awarded the rising talent badge? 

They are nothing beside that deserve that he have a badge .. even the portfolio is empty the test are average 

vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Oumaima,

Thanks for flagging this profile, I shared it with out team so they can action the account for violating our ToS. 

Untitled