🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Upwork is a Total Catch-22
Page options
28bbe95d
Community Member

Upwork is a Total Catch-22

I have been on Upwork for almost 3 months as a virtual assistant. But through all this time, getting hired is the hardest and most overwhelming thing I know ever since. 

What I experienced is that clients are looking for hours worked or amount earned, making it only viable for those that already have worked here, while new freelancers are left out. This makes Upwork completely CATCH 22. I have even seen some job posts that says that they require newbies and some even claim to be the reason newbies can make a good review on Upwork. But every effort was in vain. And my profile is 100% complete, a perfect and an examplary one. I even added my pitch video but no effort was ever rewarding. 

I have now started giving up on Upwork becoming uninterested in it at all, to the point that I think this question I'm asking is my last effort on Upwork because there's no any benefit here, I bought connects, spend valuable time and always hoping for the good result of being hired, but due to the Catch-22-ness of Upwork I by default can't get hired. From what I've been seeing about answers freelancers like me are getting to the same issue is that patience and keep trying. But with the Catch-22-ness, I don't know if you have some hypothetical and mysterious ways with which patience and keep trying can help.

But now the last thing I have hope in is referrals, this itself another problem because I know nobody that may give me referrals.

Looking forward to seeing working suggestions.

Thank you.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
50f7abd3
Community Member

Hello Abdullahi,

I totally understand how you feel. Getting your first contract can seem virtually impossible; but it's obviously achievable though! The problem is no one told you it's not as easy as you'd imagined — and you'd already exhausted your free connects!

Upwork is a market place and you should learn as much as possible about operating in that space. Sure, your profile is 100% but could it be better? Remember you're selling your services to people who are looking at other profiles that are also 100%. You should regularly update your profile and compare it to top earners in your space.

The fact that you did not mention anything about the quality of your proposals makes me question this crucial point. Could your proposals be better? There is hardly any point in having a brilliant profile without being able to craft a good proposal. The client needs to be convinced that you can solve that problem. Work on making every proposal submitted an award-winning one.

You should also consider how saturated your space is compared with others. This means that in a space like yours with high supply and relatively lower demand, you have to really stand out. You should consider gaining more skills and certification relevant to your profile.

I encourage you to keep submitting quality proposals and you'll eventually get an offer!

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
mwiggenhorn
Community Member

Well, all of us were newbies at one point.  I hope you understand that there all literally tens of thousands of VAs registered on Upwork . Also, your profile refers to "your team" - if you are an agency, you need to open an Upwork agency.  If you are a single freelancer, you need to change that language.

Thank you 

martina_plaschka
Community Member

You thought it would be a good idea to join upwork. Millions of people thought the same. 

That can't be a surprise to you, right?

Competion is fierce, but not as fierce as you think. If you have a well-crafted profile, backed up by a great portfolio, and can convince the client by showing/not telling you are world-class at what you do, you will stand out. There are tons of people who don't do their homework, don't take the Academy courses, and simply will not be able to win clients since they are unable to present professionally. 

The secret is: yes, you have to do absolutely everything to stand out, but when you do, you do. (stand out). 

Thank you.

81f2681a
Community Member

Everybody is suffering in Upwork, specially the newbies, since that boosting proposals feature was implemented.

lysis10
Community Member

Upwork is hard for noobs. News at 11.

28bbe95d
Community Member

I consider this too sarcastic.

Welcome to life.  You expected an easy money pit guess what? You gotta work for everything even on sites like this.

Hilarious! I have been in life since the day I was born.

You've got this mindset of mining money from pit.

lysis10
Community Member

Abdullahi I wrote:

I consider this too sarcastic.

I would never ever be sarcastic about this seriously concerning issue.

28bbe95d
Community Member

I'm sorry for having mistaken you

50f7abd3
Community Member

Hello Abdullahi,

I totally understand how you feel. Getting your first contract can seem virtually impossible; but it's obviously achievable though! The problem is no one told you it's not as easy as you'd imagined — and you'd already exhausted your free connects!

Upwork is a market place and you should learn as much as possible about operating in that space. Sure, your profile is 100% but could it be better? Remember you're selling your services to people who are looking at other profiles that are also 100%. You should regularly update your profile and compare it to top earners in your space.

The fact that you did not mention anything about the quality of your proposals makes me question this crucial point. Could your proposals be better? There is hardly any point in having a brilliant profile without being able to craft a good proposal. The client needs to be convinced that you can solve that problem. Work on making every proposal submitted an award-winning one.

You should also consider how saturated your space is compared with others. This means that in a space like yours with high supply and relatively lower demand, you have to really stand out. You should consider gaining more skills and certification relevant to your profile.

I encourage you to keep submitting quality proposals and you'll eventually get an offer!

Thank you Ubah, I really got your points, and will do everything forward to getting an offer.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members