cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork is a joke of a website

Highlighted
Pedro V Member Since: Aug 31, 2015
1 of 29

I must say I'm very disappointed with the development of this platform.

Its getting slower every day, with errors popping up everytime a page loads, be it Cloudflare or something else.

I don't understand what you guys are playing at, but closing one good service and changing people over to a service that works poorly is really a bad move.

If this keeps going I'll be forced to abandon Upwork for good.

First raising the fees, then making a worse user experience, and don't even get me started on the ridiculous proposals that sometimes appear in the job board...

Well, I'm very sorry for the rant fellow freelancers. But sometimes its needed, specially when we see nothing getting changed for the better.

Thank you.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
2 of 29

Welcome to UPwork? .....

I can appreciate a good rant, I do it every day..most off of here because I have a habit of getting my posts edited... but one thing I have come to learn. Ranting is good for your mental health, but reality has to set in where you (everyone, not just you) has to sit back, be patient, be able to adapt and do our best to get a cool job. 

Highlighted
Peter A Member Since: Sep 18, 2015
3 of 29

As a recruiter I started using April 2015.  I'm now posting my Second Job.

Some serious work is needed to make the UX/UI work sucessfully.

I'm not ranting becase I'm not particularlly committed to UpWork, but unless they address these issues, and I'm not talking about site speed, then they will enter a period of decline.

Best Regards

Peter

Highlighted
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
4 of 29

Actually fees were not raised on Upwork from what they were on Odesk, but they are higher then what Elance was.

The fees were always 10% on Odesk.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
5 of 29

@Suzanne N wrote:

Actually fees were not raised on Upwork from what they were on Odesk, but they are higher then what Elance was.

The fees were always 10% on Odesk.

Not to rub it in, to further clarify:

Contractor-client pairings brought over from Elance get to keep their 8.75% commission for the life of their relationship (and/or till Upwork withdraws the offer; for now they seem to be saying it's in perpetuity). 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
6 of 29

Give yourself to the Upwork's loving embrace. Hallowed be the Upwork. Join us Pedro. 

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
7 of 29

Life is a tragedy for those who feel too much and a joke to those who think too much.

I forget who said that but he's probably dead now.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Wassim T Member Since: May 29, 2015
8 of 29

Pedro,

honestly I think most Elancers didn't like Upwork when they first joined. I personally still love Elance more but you need to understand that we're all Upwork now. This is going to be "our platform" whether you come from Elance or oDesk (or both).

I think the main problem that caused this mess with the merger, was that the oDesk platform in general has been for too long based on hourly jobs. On Elance, it's almost the contract. I know both platforms had hourly & fixed price jobs, but almost everyone agrees that oDesk was better with everything related to hourly-jobs stuff, and Elance was better with Escrow.

In my opinion, one of the main reasons why Upwork decided to build the merger based on oDesk and not Elance, is because oDesk had more members. It's easier to move a smaller population to a larger one, but the opposite is much harder.

I'm going to list some great features that are available on Upwork but not on Elance:

- You can contact community members with a private message. This is a really nice feature where you can exchange knowledge with your fellow Upworkers.

- There's more jobs on Upwork (OK I know that means more freelancers) but this still means more opportunities anyway.

- In the past few months, the amount of Escrow jobs have increased amazingly! I remember I had to contact Customer Support when I first joined to ask them where did the Fixed price jobs go, and they told me they didn't have much. Now you can see there's many many Escrow jobs, almost the same amount like hourly jobs, and in the category which I work under there's more Escrow jobs.

- Some people like it, some people don't - but there's the Top Rated program which is supposed to give you more exposure and more opportunities (I personally haven't noticed any difference but I am sure some people are benefiting from it).

- There's a great mobile App for quick communication with the clients. It also allows you to accept/reject offers in a click of a button. This is really great I suggest you check it out if you haven't yet.

- You can set your availability and Upwork will send you invitations according to that. I loved the fact that Elance used to send me invitations every single day, but honestly sometimes I am too busy and don't need any invitations or need just a little. Upwork cleverly resolves this issue. I know some people are complaining that they aren't receiving any invitations, but I know that this is how it should work on the long run.

- I love that Upwork keeps adding features to the platform. They don't always listen to our requests, but at least someone listens to you and is ready to improve the platform after making a decision.

Elance had some amazing features which didn't exist on Upwork, like better invoicing, faster payments, creating repeating jobs, ability to add milestones as a freelancer, ability to submit a proposal without an amount & a better automatic emails system. Hopefully Upwork will be smart enough to gather the great features from Elance which don't currently exist on Upwork. Only then, Upwork will become the best freelancing platform in the world.

Best regards,
Wassim

Highlighted
Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
9 of 29

"better invoicing, faster payments, creating repeating jobs, ability to add milestones as a freelancer, ability to submit a proposal without an amount & a better automatic emails system."

Yeah well, who needs stuff like that when you can have a blue badge instead?

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Highlighted
Community Leader
Carlton D Member Since: Aug 5, 2015
10 of 29

Blue badge lost in a sea of green. Next up, a red pill and a cup of clean water.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
CROM, MAKE ME STRONGER!
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS