Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork is a joke of a website

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
11 of 29

Has anybody ever heard of Outwork? It's the big, bad naughty world out there. A little extra effort and a little banging of my metal bowl, and I have landed two well-paid gigs without having to clock in anywhere or pay anybody any fees.

kingcarlton
Community Leader
Carlton D Member Since: Aug 5, 2015
12 of 29

Viva la Outwork!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
CROM, MAKE ME STRONGER!
fergusm1970
Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
13 of 29

"I have landed two well-paid gigs without having to clock in anywhere or pay anybody any fees."

For the second month in a row I've booked more work from private clients than from Elance and Upwork combined. I haven't even really done any marketing; people have read my personal blog then contacted me to ask for web content. I've been pleasantly surprised. No issues with payment either; one client even insists on paying in advance.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
lanwanman
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
14 of 29

Outwork? As in outwork.com? That domain is for sale. Which / what Outwork?

Ron aka LanWanMan
infrachic
Heidi B Member Since: Aug 31, 2015
15 of 29

CYou know I actually must agree with the original poster here.  Upwork is worse the eLance.  I find on Upwork I can not Invoice a client, I must wait for them.  That does NOT work in the Civil Engineering world well.  

I find I can not designate my specific skill set on Upwork, I use Civil 3D, yet I can't put that on there.

I find very few Civil Engineering jobs, yet there we a ton on eLance.

I find my eLance clients refuse to go to Upwork because of these issues. I'm actually having to start using my own invoicing and payment method since I can't on Upwork.

yes it's nice to have live Chat.  I find getting paid difficullt compared to eLance.  

The search engine flat out SUCKS!! I'm getting jobs not related at all to my search.  I'm finding people posting their profiessional resume and calling it a JOB to bid.  Really.  Educate your users.  If you're a freelancer, don't post your resume as a biddable job.  I want to find a client who pays, not hire you.  That's the point. If I want to hire someone I'll look at that side of the website, not the getting hired side.

I find the skills test inaccurate for AutoCAD.  I teach AutoCAD for Autoodesk and failed the test.  Yet the test was more on programming than actual use of AutoCAD.  not a test for AutoCAd.  If you've passed the AutoCAD test then you are a programmer and not a user of the program.  As an AutoCAD test it should test your ability to run and use the program not how to program with C# in the program.  That's useless as NO ONE does this.  They should really look at using the Certification exam tests from Autodesk if they're going to offer a proficiency test at all in any of the Autodesk products.

For me just too many negatives that must be fixed before I'll ever really consider this a descent site. It's more geared for anyone but Engineers.

designsektor
Zoltan T Member Since: Aug 15, 2015
16 of 29

I'm also very disappointed. This website is frustratingly useless - and it gets worse every day.

Pages take forever to load, CloudFlare error after CloudFlare error, email notifications are delayed or in some cases they never arrive, if you accidentally open the Message Center, then every upwork link goes there instead of the page you want to open, clients are unable to download files, the whole site is a usability nightmare, you have to wait ages for your money, the site is full of cheap "I want a professional website for $10" clients, and the list is endless...

If I don't see some serious improvements in the next few weeks, I'll have to abandon Upwork. My clients will do the same.

pedro-velez
Pedro V Member Since: Aug 31, 2015
17 of 29

I appreciate reading all your feedback and I'll try to further my comments a bit more with the few time I have right now:

I actually enjoyed Upwork. I've joined and started working here 2 months ago, more or less.

Everything was great, apart to some minor things that I would like to be different, they didn't bother me much.

What bothers me greatly is that I can't use a website that doesn't load for me. A website that makes me refresh pages 5 times to actually see the page. I have problems searching jobs here because sometimes I'm trying to change pages and they don't change.

That's my only big issue with Upwork, really. I completely ignore the fact of where or why Upwork came to life, as long as it works, I'll work with it. But it hasn't been the case for me, because it doesn't work.

I love Elance. Its a great platform, it was the platform that launched me in freelancing, but I really don't care what platform I am on, as long as I'm able to work and have fair fees. I paid membership on Elance for more than 2 years and I never felt like it wasn't worth it. Here? I can't find it worth it because what good is a membership if the platform doesn't work?

So, as you can read on my second and quite repetitive rant, my only concern is that Upwork actually works for me and for everyone. Sure I would love some things to be different, and I believe they can get there, but only if these kind of problems get fixed ASAP, else, me and other freelancers will get satured with the platform and simply leave, leaving with clients and profit that could be for Upwork.

I read all your comments and appreciate them all. Its great that we can keep a healthy discussion about Upwork and any other platform.

Good night everyone Smiley Happy

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
18 of 29

Pedro, I have high hopes that things will settle down. It's not like they want this stuff to happen, so I'm confident that the bugs will be figured out.

I think it was Daniel who said that they probably just went for broke and decided to fix things as they come. Figure it out and in a few months things stabilize.

Whoever survives Upwork-geddon will win their treasure in freelance heaven.

fergusm1970
Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
19 of 29

"Figure it out and in a few months things stabilize."

Trouble is, not too many freelancers can hang around for a few months hoping it'll improve. A lot of people are going to try finding other ways to get work, and the ones who succeed at off-platform freelancing might not be in a rush to come back.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
20 of 29

If you leave me Fergus, may you get infested with 1000 fleas on your person.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS