🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Upwork is losing it?
Page options
3d_expert
Community Member

Upwork is losing it?

The policies and all the efforts taken by Upwork in say last 2 to 3 years, do they meet the target? I can not say about other domains, but can share about mine (3D design, graphics design altogether).. The good clients are just gone.. Needs to be accepted. Anybody says otherwise, probably lies. No more real high paying jobs, atleast not frequently, professionalism from client side reducing day by day..
And another thing.. The concept of 'contest' is kind of a crime in Upwork. Well I can say, in ny domain, today there are numerous platforms which solely hold contests... And those are rising big time... Big clients run contests with big prize money.. Their interest is obvious, the huge great options to chose from.. And a lot freelancers are regularly posting entries in contests, not so unhappily for the free job..
Basically if the situation of other platform like Upwork keeps them sit idle most of the month anyway, why not working in contests..

May be Upwork should consider about contests?
10 REPLIES 10
lysis10
Community Member

Contests are for noobs.

Not really anymore... I have spent some time researching those recently.. Forget about logo, t shirt design, etc which ranges within $500 prize (the types which pull hundreds of contests each hour in all those platforms), I have seen the ranges of $1000-$3000 contests are rising in numbers.. With great number of participants. 

Anindita M wrote:

I have seen the ranges of $1000-$3000 contests are rising in numbers.. With great number of participants. 

yeah, noobs.

Anindita M wrote:

Not really anymore... I have spent some time researching those recently.. Forget about logo, t shirt design, etc which ranges within $500 prize (the types which pull hundreds of contests each hour in all those platforms), I have seen the ranges of $1000-$3000 contests are rising in numbers.. With great number of participants. 

I don't understand why people post comments like, "Why can't Upwork be more like this other website?" Why not just stick to using the contest websites, if you enjoy doing loads of work for free while only getting paid occasionally?

Also, the great clients on Upwork aren't gone - my invitations are way up and I've had more high-quality work in the past two months than during the same time period last year.

Anindita M wrote:

But how many of these are guaranteed? You'd have to be desperate to participate if the client doesn't even have to pick a winner.

Anindita M wrote:
The policies and all the efforts taken by Upwork in say last 2 to 3 years, do they meet the target? I can not say about other domains, but can share about mine (3D design, graphics design altogether).. The good clients are just gone.. Needs to be accepted. Anybody says otherwise, probably lies. No more real high paying jobs, atleast not frequently, professionalism from client side reducing day by day..
And another thing.. The concept of 'contest' is kind of a crime in Upwork. Well I can say, in ny domain, today there are numerous platforms which solely hold contests... And those are rising big time... Big clients run contests with big prize money.. Their interest is obvious, the huge great options to chose from.. And a lot freelancers are regularly posting entries in contests, not so unhappily for the free job..
Basically if the situation of other platform like Upwork keeps them sit idle most of the month anyway, why not working in contests..

May be Upwork should consider about contests?

Contests aren't allowed. Read this thread. If you see one you should report it. 

I know Amanda. Thats the whole point.. This is an absolute fact that, numerous great clients are shifting from here to other platforms, or say, to get the benefit of contests.. A lot of money is being transacted daily through that concept.. 

So just saying, simply from business pov, Upwork may consider contests, instead of allowing the competitors take away the cake anyway.. 

Anindita M wrote:

I know Amanda. Thats the whole point.. This is an absolute fact that, numerous great clients are shifting from here to other platforms, or say, to get the benefit of contests.. A lot of money is being transacted daily through that concept.. 

So just saying, simply from business pov, Upwork may consider contests, instead of allowing the competitors take away the cake anyway.. 

No, thank you. As Christine said, there are other sites you can already do contests on.  Providing free work is a race to the bottom, and while you may feel it's good for your field, it's very bad for others. You said people are "not unhappily" participating in these. Do you really think people are happy to work hard for free? Do you enjoy working for free? If so, there are many ways you can work for free, and you don't need Upwork or any other site to do so. 

Anindita M wrote:

This is an absolute fact that, numerous great clients are shifting from here to other platforms, or say, to get the benefit of contests.

And you have proof to back this up (not just anecdotal evidence)?

Personally, I prefer clients who hire me BEFORE I do any work, not after. So if this type of client doesn't want to use Upwork, then good riddance. 

Anindita M wrote:

I know Amanda. Thats the whole point.. This is an absolute fact that, numerous great clients are shifting from here to other platforms, or say, to get the benefit of contests..

Facts please?

Numbers, sources, real stuff.

Not just vague "The good clients are just gone" (Which might just mean "I can't get the good clients anymore" and "This is an absolute fact that, numerous great clients are shifting from here to other platforms" (Hint... "an absolute FACT is something you have proof for) and offensive statements like "Anyone who says otherwise is lying" (SERIOUSLY???) 

Please present your proof for your statements.

Thank you.

And for what it is worth, the good clients are not gone, and I am not lying, and I categorically do not want Upwork to allow contents like the low class platforms do.

If you want contests, use those platforms that offer them.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths