🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Upwork is too slow
Page options
fahadameer360
Community Member

Upwork is too slow

Upwork has been loading tremendously slowly for years now in all versions (Desktop and mobile; Chrome, firefox, edge and brave; mobile app and mobile browsers). Messages take ages to load. I always see the preloader, and it takes like 5 - 10 second each time. Who use preloaders in 2019? I think it's a business website, and business websites should load in milliseconds. If I was a new client, I wouldn't wait for all this time while the website loads. I think you lose a lot of customers this way. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us, Fahad! We'll be sure to pass it on to our product team.

~ Bojan
Upwork

View solution in original post

50 REPLIES 50
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us, Fahad! We'll be sure to pass it on to our product team.

~ Bojan
Upwork
4af59229
Community Member

This isn't a solution. The speed of the site is just plain ridiculous. There are posts going back several years complaining about the slow speed. I have paid thousands to Upwork (funny enough, most of it going to freelancers to create websites) and am considering taking my business elsewhere. This is just not good enough - time = money!

372e285d
Community Member

So when is this getting fixed?? 

I can't load my messages so I've have hired work for my team and now cannot access the final files or even communicate with my hire team. 

Disappointing to say the least. Love the service however it took me about a minute to load this forum and then another minute to load in response. 

Can't your team hire one of the freelancers to fix your web performance?? 

Next time I'll be hiring through another company... Sadly it has been a horrible web performance experience and all the forums have the Upwork staff saying the same:

We will have someone reach out
or
We have let our team know
or
we will open a ticket for you

I haven't found a single instance yet where someone's web performance has been solved.

BTW 

I had to rewrite this comment because the reply button timed out and the webpage crash...

😞 

Hi Trystan,

Thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about the issue while accessing the website. Could you please try again after clearing Cookies and Cache on your browser? You can also try using a different browser. If that didn't help, please check this help page on how to troubleshoot issues loading your messages page. Feel free to message us if problems persist.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
yankog
Community Member

Sorry for adding insult to injury 🙂 But this website is slow as heck, and today is February 2022.

It is so slow that I missed important messages, "Messages" takes eternity to load AND refresh, and it apparently marks some messages as "read" without me ever noticingt them.

Hi Yanko,

Thank you for reaching out to us and bringing this to our attention. Could you please try following the troubleshooting steps shared in this help article? If the issue still persists or if you experience a different error please let us know and we will assist you further. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
elijahtc
Community Member

Upwork's messaging is pretty much unusable for me. Has been for a long time. It's crazy. Takes 30 seconds to load or I just get tired of waiting and leave. They have one of the world's largest pools of talent and can't create a working product when it comes to this. 

4d736f96
Community Member

Worst business site on the internet

f90993b8
Community Member

my upwork page load time is too slow , kindly fix it

6e895b70
Community Member

This is still a problem. It's 13/11/2023! Seems like this problem will never get fixed. I;ve been sat here for 15 minutes and only managed to send 2 replies. Absolutely ridiculous - can I get a refund? Becuase I promoted my post and the website is preventing me from accessing the applicants for my job post!

Hi Satya,

I took a closer look at your account and confirmed that you were able to send several messages to your featured jobs. We sincerely apologize if there's a delay with sending your messages.

I've shared your refund request with the relevant team for further review. Kindly expect an update with more information and assistance on this page once your report is thoroughly reviewed.

~ Arjay
Upwork
a06389a7
Community Member

Yes... Upwork is slower than a lazy snail!!

I just started working on it and posted 2 jobs... downloaded the app and all it has done for me is make me more frustrated and mad!!

I see that this is a persistent problem for long. Is the only way to solve this is to quit on it?

Hi Anil,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience. Is this happening when you are using the App or the same issue with logging in using your computer?

~ Joanne
Upwork
3880066f
Community Member

Couldn't agree more!

I'm new to upwork and surprised at how slow it is to load messages. Suggestion : how done is the freelance developers on upwork to fix this problem

Hi Edwin,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I will share your report with our team.

~ Nikola
Upwork
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

I apologize for the inconvenience this caused, Nathan. 

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you directly to assist you with this concern.

Thank you for your patience. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
marel337
Community Member

Upwork is extremely slow and it's been like that for years. Whenever I know I need to go on upwork check something it's an absolute dread.

Whenever one of Upwork's employees responds 'thank you for feedback we'll pass this on to product team' you're just making a joke of yourself and the company. 

I don't think a single Upwork employee does not think that the website is dreadfully slow and certainly most long time users can't stand the speed of the website.

If you can't make the website fast enough to be useful with all these fancy loading frontend features - ditch them. No one cares if the proposal review screen loads up nicely if it takes 10 seconds to load.

My upwork mobile application is toooo much slow from 6 months... Please please do some thing and must reply
 **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Adeel,

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing slowness with the mobile app. Can you try uninstalling and reinstalling it? Let us know if the problem persists and we'll be happy to assist you further.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
negrusti
Community Member

Same experience with Upwork client for a long time, I am on a blazing fast internet connection. All other messengers (including Slack which is built on the same architecture as Upwork client) are working without any perceptible delay. Mobile client is hardly usable. Very often I have to resort to Upwork site instead to communicate with clients.
Upwork team should be ashamed about the mere existence of "Click to reconnect" message - the messenger should be able to reconnect on it's own!

Yes..I don't know how people actually deal with this! OMG....I don't know any other site I'm on or have been on that's like this. This has got to drive away great freelancers...

It's very frustrating, yes. I wonder if one reason for desktop client slowness is that I have tens of thousands of messages. In my opinion the technical team is not focusing their efforts where they should be.

I don't think it's the "fancy frontend features" that are the issue. It's happening in all clients, and as you can clearly see in the network tab even basic requests take up to 22 seconds. It's been like this for literally years. You made 374 million revenue last year alone - when do you think you'll start caring about user experience?

Network TabNetwork Tab

Hi David,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and will assist you further. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

This is ridiculous.

Do you guys really don't care?

I mean we're in 2021 not in the 19's anymore, which site takes this LONGGGG to load??

I mean I've been raking in some tens of thousands annually to you guys, and I am quitting, this is just so annoying.

Hi Jacob,

I'm sorry to hear about the inconvenience this has caused you. One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket where you can share more details with us. Our team will investigate this further and will assist you further directly on your ticket. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Maybe you should reach out to all of us at once with a PSA since all of us are bothered by it?

Hi Irvin,

Could you please share more details about the problem you're experiencing along with details about your operating system and the browser you're using? Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

lol, Upwork has data for every performance metric available on any combo of OS, device, browser, and screen-size.

Things shall remain until we vote with our wallets. 

Okay, with using the browser version of this  **Edited for Community Guidelines** site. I discovered that you have to be in full screen for things to load nornally. I always work with Chrome on the side and my editing software on the other so I can check notes without changing tabs. This is such a **Edited for Community Guidelines** website.

killuaq
Community Member

I'm using UpWork today in the end of 2021 and its the exact same problem .. i don't know how this website ran all these years xD and on google search still appears as a good freelance website .. I'm gonna find free lance work else where .. spent half an hour applying for one job!!

It's slow right now, agreed, but this is surely a temporary problem as I don't usually have a problem and I'm on here daily.

sonkoly_zoltan
Community Member

Hi there!

I'm facing the same issue both desktop and mobile app are very very slow or do not load in at all in the recent weeks. It often throws the 500 Server Error and it's getting really annoying.

Hi Zoltan,

I'm sorry for the trouble you had. I've escalated your concern to the team. One of our agents will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork
spate03
Community Member

2022 And I just had to google "why is upwork so slow" - I am on a highspeed t3 trunk line connection with a 9th gen X1 Carbon thinkpad. And takes forever to see messages.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sima, 

I can see that you're using a ThinkPad. Could you please share if you're accessing the website through a browser? If so, could you please try replicating the issue and generating a HAR file so that we can share it with our team to be investigated further?

~ Avery
Upwork
e9cf715d
Community Member

This is so frustrting... Years past and it's still not fixed.  I started using another freelance resource that I hadn't used for years...

The most annoying is that you do not admit the problem, offer disrespectful suggestions like clear your coockies (including all my saved logins and passwords?) and marked this thread as Solved. Good job with solviing! 🙂

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Vas, 

I'm sorry to learn about your experience. Do you mind sharing more information on which page of the website you're experiencing this issue, along with your browser and OS info? Are you accessing the site through a website, or are you using the Mobile App? 

~ Avery
Upwork
otalb
Community Member

Hi Upwork 

Quick question : is there a way (some kind of API ) to access the messages ,it years to open the message througth upwork . 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths