cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Upwork just closed one of my contracts.

vladmorar
Ace Contributor
Vlad M Member Since: Mar 20, 2016
1 of 18

Long story short, client went in vacation and when he came back I was busy for a week but the job was done in the first 2 weeks after the contract was signed and we were just doing reviews or extended requests.

Got this message:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

I even talk to support a few days ago (not responding now) and they told me that I can dispute this after the 2 weeks passed but:

• I did not get any request and I don`t see where I can file a dispute.

• Client added an NEW milestone after I got the email  

• This is so disturbing not only because I didn't get payed but now my JSS will go down again tomorrow by 9% as it happened last time someone canceled one of my contracts.

• What can I do now?
lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 18

Escrow can only sit for 90 days. I believe this is a banking/finance law (I'm sure someone can deny or confirm).

You need to show activity on the milestone, which is basically sending a request to get paid and then the client can ask for a revision.

vladmorar
Ace Contributor
3 of 18

I don`t see any option to do that!

lysis10
Community Guru
4 of 18

It says you guys have 2 weeks. If there is no "Submit work" button then the milestone isn't funded anymore. If he added a new milestone, then he needs to fund that one.

vladmorar
Ace Contributor
5 of 18

It also sayis:

If the contract is closed, you will receive a refund request for x$ (the funds still in escrow). You will have 7 days to dispute this request. 

And I specifically asked support if this is from when I got the email or if I`ll get a request after those 2 weeks passed and they told me the second one was correct.

Now, since the work was already done the client (I don`t think that this will happen but you never know) has the option to just walk away. My JSS will still suffer a beating as they will see it as a canceled contract. How is this fair?   

lysis10
Community Guru
6 of 18

I guess I'm confused. That email indicates that you have 2 more weeks to remedy it. Did you not do anything with the milestone for two weeks? They did warn you, so there is that....

But yeah, if you ignored the email then a refund goes into place. If you don't answer the refund request, then the money automatically goes back to teh client. It seems like you ignored both warnings?

vladmorar
Ace Contributor
7 of 18

You are right Jenifer, you are confused. I did not get a refund request. That`s the hole point of this post. And I did not ignore the first "warning" as I talked to both the client and support (told me that if the client does not release the funds in those 2 weeks I will get a refund request and I can then file a dispute if needed )

Can someone from Upwork help?

lysis10
Community Guru
8 of 18

@Vlad M wrote:

You are right Jenifer, you are confused. I did not get a refund request. That`s the hole point of this post. And I did not ignore the first "warning" as I talked to both the client and support (told me that if the client does not release the funds in those 2 weeks I will get a refund request and I can then file a dispute if needed )

Can someone from Upwork help?

ok so my next question is the same as the above poster. Did you submit to the milestone? 

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
9 of 18

Hi Vlad,

I believe the contract you are referring is the one that was closed today. You can find it under My Jobs> Contracts.

For legal reasons Upwork isn't able to keep funds indefinitely. That's why a fixed-price contract with funds in Escrow will be closed automatically after 90 days of inactivity. If you had requested payment via the Submit Work/Release Payment button and the client hadn't taken any actions, the funds would have been released to you. However, since you didn't request payment, you authorize Upwork to refund money from Escrow to the client.

Please, see article 3. DORMANT ENGAGEMENTS of the Fixed-Price Escrow Instructions for more information.

~ Valeria
Upwork
vladmorar
Ace Contributor
10 of 18

Thanks for responding Valeria.

But that is not what the email says or what upwork support told me. Please see attached. It is presented like an inactivity problem. And the client added a new milestone in the past 2 weeks.

What can I do now? Will my JSS be affected by this?

Thank you

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS