cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork misguided me into working for a client with approved method of payment

dcapdevielle
Daniela C Member Since: May 4, 2015
1 of 22

This particular client had his payment method verifyied and made a deposit for me to start working on his project. I worked intensively for approx 7 days and submitted my work. After review he approved the payment. A couple of days after that Upwork placed a hold to my account and refund the client without my authorization. Their explanation is that the client is fraudulent. 
I have basically been misled by upwork into believing it was safe to work for this client. 

Upwork should take responsibility and refund me for the agreed amount of the contract otherwise I do not understand what is their duty nor when is safe to work.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 22

Daniela C wrote:

This particular client had his payment method verifyied and made a deposit for me to start working on his project. I worked intensively for approx 7 days and submitted my work. After review he approved the payment. A couple of days after that Upwork placed a hold to my account and refund the client without my authorization. Their explanation is that the client is fraudulent. 
I have basically been misled by upwork into believing it was safe to work for this client. 

Upwork should take responsibility and refund me for the agreed amount of the contract otherwise I do not understand what is their duty nor when is safe to work.

There was a chargeback either because the client filed one or the true owner of the card filed one. It's an unfortunate risk of using the escrow system.

dcapdevielle
3 of 22

Thank you for your response. It is not clear when is acceptable to work on a fixed project. How is it possible that they approved the client´s Credit Card and he made the deposit and even pay me for the job... but upwork says is fraudulent? When does upwork take responsibility? It sounds very convenient for them to punish me for their own failure to check the client´s  payment method.

tinker_bell3
Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
4 of 22

Hi Daniela,

I checked your account, and I can see that you already have an open ticket regarding this concern. Please know that your this has been escalated to the correct team, and one of our agents will update your ticket to assist you further. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
dcapdevielle
5 of 22

Thank you.

dcapdevielle
6 of 22

Upwork send me a random message and did not respond to my ticket. This is really dissapointing after so many years working with this platform.

lysis10
Community Guru
7 of 22

Daniela C wrote:

Upwork send me a random message and did not respond to my ticket. This is really dissapointing after so many years working with this platform.

Did they point to the ToS about fraud? It sounds like a chargeback and in that case you lose the money. Google chargeback fraud. Merchants who sell online deal with it a lot.

The only way to avoid it on Upwork is hourly.

dcapdevielle
8 of 22

Jennifer,

Thank you. I understand but they mention several times in their website about Upwork Fixed-Price Protection. They leave me alone in this one and do not take any responsability for their misguidance to work for this client believing it was safe. Isn´t is their job to do this? 

lysis10
Community Guru
9 of 22

Daniela C wrote:

Jennifer,

Thank you. I understand but they mention several times in their website about Upwork Fixed-Price Protection. They leave me alone in this one and do not take any responsability for their misguidance to work for this client believing it was safe. Isn´t is their job to do this? 

Yeah, I hate that wording. I've had people argue with me on here several times because it says there is payment protection but there is none. The only thing you know is that there was a charge on some card. That's all you know.

a_lipsey
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
10 of 22

Jennifer M wrote:

Daniela C wrote:

Jennifer,

Yeah, I hate that wording. I've had people argue with me on here several times because it says there is payment protection but there is none. The only thing you know is that there was a charge on some card. That's all you know.

Well, it is protection to a degree, but it is not a guarantee, and that's the difference. Hourly projects have a guarantee. We do get some protection on fixed price, and that's through the escrow system, and the automatic payment after 14 days. However, that does not protect us against fraud. Even on an hourly contract, you are only protected up to $2500. I've had a single contract go well over that in a week on an hourly contract. There is no complete guarantee or full/100% protection. There is reduced risk, but not zero risk. While it's clear this is true when reading the TOS, Upwork could do a better job educating new freelancers about the levels of risk and protection, so that freelancers can take additional steps when they vet clients. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS