🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Upwork need to change way things works.
Page options
ahmetsamsa
Community Member

Upwork need to change way things works.

Hi, I'm kind of new to upwork and I started to don't like the way things work.
I'm applying for job spesific to my skills.

These are thing I don't like;

• Client that open jobs and doesn't revivew any proposal at all or doesn't show up at all. (Mostly these kind of job require 4+ connections. So they are wasted.)
  • Client that know job is going to take less than 1-2 days but choose 1-6 month. This kind of job require 6 connections. Upwork need give back thoose connection if job take less than 1 week.
  • Client that open design job as low as 5$. ( I know you can propose more than 5$ but it show avarage price rate is 5$. So chances of getting job is really slim when you propose high price. It doesn't even worth to spend 2+ connection on it.)
  • Client that closed job without hiring anyone. Those connection are wasted too.
  • %20 fee is too high. Atleast don't make us wait 2-3 weeks to get money we earned.  I have to wait atleast 10 days before I could withdraw money I earned from any jobs. This time should be less for design related jobs.  I will understand if we have to wait 2-3 weeks for jobs that need to be verified or tested by clients even after they  verified payment.( For exp. website, script, software) But design job doesn't require any verification .Once client is happy with design that's it. 
    We shouldn't have to wait to get that money. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ozan S wrote:

Tiffany S wrote:

Ozan S wrote:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Nah, we want you to win. We just define winning differently than you do. You all seem to define it as "proving that Upwork sucks," whereas we define it as "making many thousands of dollars per month on our own schedules from the locations of our choice."

I think many of us just can't get our minds around the fact that so many people would rather prove all of their problems are Upwork's fault than solve them.

You're proving my point well Tiffany, thanks. Thanks for pointing out that there's actually a "we" versus "them" mentality here, and thanks for including me in the latter group, too. And while you went as far as claiming that we lot have been claiming that Upwork sucks, "I" can personally tell you that I have never involved myself in such talks, and have always solely pointed out the (albeit unintentional) unfairnesses I've observed in the system, like the fact that higher chance of winning a proposal war being skewed towards existing users with established profiles, regardless they're better than others or not. This is NOT saying that Upwork sucks -- this is calling Upwork to action, so that maybe they would do something to balance things out. This applies to pretty much every other issue I've raised myself or kudoed till today.

See, "making many thousands of dollars per month" and all other things you mentioned are not things that everyone here gets to have. I can assure you though, it's not because these people are any lesser, but because they're just "not there yet". This platform is just, but it's not equal to everyone, simply because luck and a thousand other things play a big role. Some people may not understand this because they're in need of money and losing patience, and they may then (unfairly) say "Upwork sucks". Of course, this is not nice, and of course, they're not right. But if you were true "community gurus" (lol), you lot would rather explain this to them instead of saying "you should STFU or find a different platform". I don't see that sentiment here. I don't see even minuscule of it honestly.

And I wonder -- if you can't wrap your mind around people and their problems, why even comment? There are dozens of responses here and all they do is to make the OP angry. They don't help. Not even one bit.

We all started out as new users with new profiles. I have only been here since 2016, but I worked in the brick and mortar world for 20+ years before that. I had to take jobs at significantly lower rates and sometimes even jobs not in my field to get a good JSS and gradually increase my rate. The trick is hard work and figuring out how to work *within* the system. I think my first gig paid 50 bucks and one of my best paying gigs at the time was hand writing letters, even though I'm a graphic designer, like the OP.

The fact is the OP has had what MOST freelancers just starting out here would consider GREAT success, and he himself appears on track to make thousands of dollars per month. And no, not everyone here gets to have that, but my advice to him remains: keep doing what you're doing, have patience, and choose projects to apply to very carefully. Once you start getting invitations and repeat clients, the connects system will no longer seem like such a huge problem.

(Also feel free to share your suggestion directly with UW, because I don't think the best way to effect change in their business model is by posting in the forums.)

View solution in original post

55 REPLIES 55

Ahmet S wrote:

Who choose these people as  Community Guru?
**edited for Community Guidelines** Instead of suggestion something they just make problem bigger and bigger with each comment. 
I try to find freelancer gig on all platforms and I express my feeling about system on all platform but other don't have toxic community guru member like this.

Nobody gets "chosen" to be a community guru - people get this title due to the number of posts that they've made. In fact, due to the number of your responses on this thread alone, you'll soon be called a "guru" yourself.

To be honest, I've been reading this thread and it seems like you're the angriest person here. Nobody thinks that Upwork is perfect, but when you're new to the platform and you post a thread with the title "Upwork needs to change the way things work" then you already seem confrontational. You made some suggestions and Tiffany very patiently explained to you why she thought that they wouldn't work, and you seem to have taken offence just because she didn't agree with you. If you want some advice about how to be more successful on Upwork, then there are lots of people here who can help you. But if you just want to make angry posts and insult people, then you'll get the responses that you deserve.

Ahmet S wrote:

Nobody. After a certain number of posts, you're a Community Guru. Rant enough and you'll become one.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Ahmet S wrote:

I express my feeling about system on all platform

That is not what you are doing. You are not "expressing feelings" - You are demanding that Upwork "needs to.." do what you want. You are incredibly offensive in the way you express your "feelings."

Basically what you are doing is walking into a bar you've never been in and where you don't know anyone, strutting around red-faced with fury and screaming insults and obscenities **Edited for Community Guidelines** at the top of your voice at and about the bar and all the people in it.

You may want to try that in real life and see how that works out for you.

Also, remember that clients read these forums... Your conduct does not exactly recommend you.

Petra R wrote:

Ahmet S wrote:

That is not what you are doing. You are not "expressing feelings" - You are demanding that Upwork "needs to.." do what you want. You are incredibly offensive in the way you express your "feelings."

Basically what you are doing is walking into a bar you've never been in and where you don't know anyone, strutting around red-faced with fury and screaming insults and obscenities **Edited for Community Guidelines** at the top of your voice at and about the bar and all the people in it.

Also, remember that clients read these forums... Your conduct does not exactly recommend you.

Actually, my clients love me. I always go extra miles for work I have done. If you check my profile you see their feedback about me.
Also I didn't started it. I just tell that there is clearly a problem with the way upwork doesn't do anything about connections we spend on closed or inactive jobs.

There were some great people seems to notice this problem too and explain their thought about it and in the other hand there is some toxic member that say if you don't like it go somewhere else. 
Because of this toxic people I started to be aggressive. 

We are paying for these connection and on top of that we are paying %20 fee. 

So it is my right to criticize system or demand changes the way thing works if they aren't effective.  

Yes my English is broken and that is not something I need to be concerned about. It's not my mother language and I learned it the best way I could and still learning.

Ahmet S wrote:

So it is my right to criticize system or demand changes the way thing works if they aren't effective.  

Criticize - yes. Demand changes - well, not really.  Suggest, yes. 
You see - you can demand something from the people that work for you. Or - from your elected government representative. Or from your younger brother (providing that they will listen to you, lol) Upwork shareholders can demand something from UW management. Freelancers are in no position to put any demands to UW - that's a frustrating thing, especially if implemented changes are not to our liking.  

Ahmet S wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Ahmet S wrote:

Basically what you are doing is walking into a bar you've never been in and where you don't know anyone, strutting around red-faced with fury and screaming insults and obscenities in broken English at the top of your voice at and about the bar and all the people in it.

Actually, my clients love me. I always go extra miles for work I have done. If you check my profile you see their feedback about me.
Also I didn't started it. I just tell that there is clearly a problem with the way upwork doesn't do anything about connections we spend on closed or inactive jobs.

There were some great people seems to notice this problem too and explain their thought about it and in the other hand there is some toxic member that say if you don't like it go somewhere else. 
Because of this toxic people I started to be aggressive. 

We are paying for these connection and on top of that we are paying %20 fee. 

Yes my English is broken and that is not something I need to be concerned about. It's not my mother language and I learned it the best way I could and still learning.

It is your absolute right to criticise, this is a forum for everyone that uses the site.

You have absolutely no need to be concerned about your broken English, as it's not your first language (your English is far, far better than my Turkish...)

But, If you don't, or can't accept that this is how UpWork works having only recently joined the site, I genuinely fear that your head, in the not too distant future, will explode.

You may not like it, you may not agree with it, but UpWork is not your  company to make demands as to how it is run.

No one is saying leave the site, they are saying that if how it works makes you so upset, simply don't use it, because you're ranting is not going to change one, single, thing.

Richard S wrote:

What's confusing is that you seem to feel it's your right to criticize, but that others have no right to express conflicting opinions. I'm having a hard time understanding a "right" that applies only to you, or to views you agree with.

Richard S wrote:

It is your absolute right to criticise, this is a forum for everyone that uses the site.

FWIW, none of us actually has an absolute right to do anything in this privately-run forum owned by a business.

Tiffany S wrote:

Richard S wrote:

FWIW, none of us actually has an absolute right to do anything in this privately-run forum owned by a business.

*Sighs*

So, Ahmet, people are toxic when they don't agree with you. Who knew.

Ahmet S wrote:

Tonya P wrote:

Ahmet S wrote:

Sergio S wrote:

Ahmet S wrote:

Thank you.
But I wish they change algorithm. So we don't end up wasting our connections
They could even charge more per connection but they should first fix the way it was now.

I just apply job spesificly require Adobe InDesign and I see a lot of job offer that have +50 proposal and client is idle for long time (15+ Days)
That mean upwork get 45$+ without doing anything at all  and freelencer end up spending more money on connections.

You have just explained why Upwork are not interested in changing the algorithm. Why would they change something that is giving them money, and at the same time weeding out freelancers who don't like it or can't pay the cost? They are killing two birds with one stone! It's great for them! Maybe you don't know but the platform is overcrowded and they need to make profit. So the consequences you mentioned are intended.

Yes but in long term this will be more harmful to upwork and the freelancer community.

Also with my suggestion, upwork will win more money since they charge %20.
Just make connections more expensive and don't waste them on closed jobs or other thing I mentioned.
Its quality over quantity. 

So, I have to ask, if you are such an expert in business operations that you know which changes to implement, how long they will take, and can guarantee that they will be profitable, why are you trying to find freelance gigs on Upwork? Are you an enterprise-level consultant? 

**edited for Community Guidelines** Instead of suggestion something they just make problem bigger and bigger with each comment. 
I try to find freelancer gig on all platforms and I express my feeling about system on all platform but other don't have toxic community guru member like this.

I just became a guru Friday. I have just over 150 posts. Easy peasy.

Kelly B wrote:

Ahmet S wrote:

Tonya P wrote:

Ahmet S wrote:

Sergio S wrote:

Ahmet S wrote:

Thank you.
But I wish they change algorithm. So we don't end up wasting our connections
They could even charge more per connection but they should first fix the way it was now.

I just apply job spesificly require Adobe InDesign and I see a lot of job offer that have +50 proposal and client is idle for long time (15+ Days)
That mean upwork get 45$+ without doing anything at all  and freelencer end up spending more money on connections.

You have just explained why Upwork are not interested in changing the algorithm. Why would they change something that is giving them money, and at the same time weeding out freelancers who don't like it or can't pay the cost? They are killing two birds with one stone! It's great for them! Maybe you don't know but the platform is overcrowded and they need to make profit. So the consequences you mentioned are intended.

Yes but in long term this will be more harmful to upwork and the freelancer community.

Also with my suggestion, upwork will win more money since they charge %20.
Just make connections more expensive and don't waste them on closed jobs or other thing I mentioned.
Its quality over quantity. 

So, I have to ask, if you are such an expert in business operations that you know which changes to implement, how long they will take, and can guarantee that they will be profitable, why are you trying to find freelance gigs on Upwork? Are you an enterprise-level consultant? 

I just became a guru Friday. I have just over 150 posts. Easy peasy.

Oh, Kelly, you're in for it now. Wait, no, I mean, congratulations!

moonraker
Community Member

I don't want to work on $5 jobs either...

So I don't apply to them. 

tlbp
Community Member

Jamie F wrote:

Wow, it's almost like you have free will or something. 😉

moonraker
Community Member

Tonya P wrote:

Jamie F wrote:

Wow, it's almost like you have free will or something. 😉

I know, right? 

I think I might be onto something here. 

Jamie F wrote:

What is this black magic you say? You mean Upwork isn't *forcing* you to bid $5? Burn the witch!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths