Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork need to change way things works.

Ahmet S Member Since: Jun 1, 2019
31 of 56

Ozan S wrote:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Secondly, I agree with SOME of the things you've mentioned. I agree that a majority of clients don't even know how long their projects will take, and letting that determine the number of connects to be spent is a bit weird. I also agree that the return of the waste connects (e.g. when a client simply won't hire someone for a long period, or won't even check the website) should be facilitated, especially now that each connect is actually equal to money. The other the things you mentioned (like the service fee% being high) are things that you can pretty much do nothing about, as that's the price you pay for the value you get. Don't forget that Upwork isn't a charity -- it's a business.

And then, even though you're right about some of the things mentioned, YOU are in control. For example, you don't have to apply to jobs with a budget set at 5$. You just don't have to. Or don't apply to any job if you simply believe that it's not worth the number of connects you'll spend. The platform isn't forcing you into doing anything in a specific way, so it's a bit unfair to complain this way.

So, yes, you have some fair points, and yes, Upwork should facilitate more. But I think this is not the right way to raise issues. Not this language.

Thank you.
I normally I don't become this much disrespectful to other people but most of comment here isn't suggesting anything. They just say you either like it or leave it, you don't criticize the system.

Community Guru
Sanja D Member Since: Dec 18, 2013
32 of 56

Ahmet S wrote:

Thank you.
I normally I don't become this much disrespectful to other people but most of comment here isn't suggesting anything. They just say you either like it or leave it, you don't criticize the system.

Ahmet - you got it wrong. 
It's not about not criticizing the system - it's about the fact that we can criticize as much as we want - someone else is setting the rules here - not us. So - whether we like it or not - paying for connects is not going to change anytime soon. And UW obviously wants to save money - not spend it (just try to find out where did live chat support go...) - so hiring new people to filter job postings or make new algorithm is hardly going to happen. when it comes to changes - on this platform you'll only see "cosmetic changes" - like putting crazy emojis on our profile pages, forcing us to make specialized profiles and (brand new) putting "popular projects" section on our profile pages. I doubt that those will help us get more work here - but apparently UW people thought they should give something in return after introducing paying for connects.  

33 of 56

Sanja D wrote:

Ahmet S wrote:

Thank you.

Ahmet - you got it wrong. 
It's not about not criticizing the system - it's about the fact that we can criticize as much as we want - someone else is setting the rules here - not us. So - whether we like it or not - paying for connects is not going to change anytime soon. And UW obviously wants to save money - not spend it (just try to find out where did live chat support go...) - so hiring new people to filter job postings or make new algorithm is hardly going to happen. when it comes to changes - on this platform you'll only see "cosmetic changes" - like putting crazy emojis on our profile pages, forcing us to make specialized profiles and (brand new) putting "popular projects" section on our profile pages. I doubt that those will help us get more work here - but apparently UW people thought they should give something in return after introducing paying for connects.  

I'm not against paying for connections. They even can make them more expensive so people don't apply all the jobs out there.

I'm just suggesting they need to change the way they handle we spent them. It just simple algorithm that can be added right away. 

Just give back our connection if client is not active x time or job closed or job take x amount of time.

Once they fixed this problem they can even make each connection cost 5$.  

Ace Contributor
Ozan S Member Since: Dec 30, 2017
34 of 56

Ahmet S wrote:

Secondly, I agree with SOME of the things you've mentioned. I agree that a majority of clients don't even know how long their projects will take, and letting that determine the number of connects to be spent is a bit weird. I also agree that the return of the waste connects (e.g. when a client simply won't hire someone for a long period, or won't even check the website) should be facilitated, especially now that each connect is actually equal to money. The other the things you mentioned (like the service fee% being high) are things that you can pretty much do nothing about, as that's the price you pay for the value you get. Don't forget that Upwork isn't a charity -- it's a business.

And then, even though you're right about some of the things mentioned, YOU are in control. For example, you don't have to apply to jobs with a budget set at 5$. You just don't have to. Or don't apply to any job if you simply believe that it's not worth the number of connects you'll spend. The platform isn't forcing you into doing anything in a specific way, so it's a bit unfair to complain this way.

So, yes, you have some fair points, and yes, Upwork should facilitate more. But I think this is not the right way to raise issues. Not this language.

Thank you.

You lose the debate the second you start using foul language. They know it and they use it against you, that's why they push you to the edge. Hard. Don't give them that. I personally use the community mainly to view answers from Upwork employees, to see the company's stance on matters. I advise you the same. Unless you get an official response, you can ignore the rest of the comments, especially the ones from certain personas. You can recognize them from their profile pictures lol, they're everywhere.

Good luck, and don't worry much about things. Hopefully things will get better over time Smiley Wink

Community Guru
Sergio S Member Since: Dec 19, 2017
35 of 56

Ahmet S wrote:

Thank you.
But I wish they change algorithm. So we don't end up wasting our connections
They could even charge more per connection but they should first fix the way it was now.

I just apply job spesificly require Adobe InDesign and I see a lot of job offer that have +50 proposal and client is idle for long time (15+ Days)
That mean upwork get 45$+ without doing anything at all  and freelencer end up spending more money on connections.

You have just explained why Upwork are not interested in changing the algorithm. Why would they change something that is giving them money, and at the same time weeding out freelancers who don't like it or can't pay the cost? They are killing two birds with one stone! It's great for them! Maybe you don't know but the platform is overcrowded and they need to make profit. So the consequences you mentioned are intended.

Ozan S wrote:

Experienced freelancers who have been here for years not only know how the system works, they also understand that Upwork is not a charitable organization, and they know Upwork is not here to please freelancers. They have been here in the forum helping people, reading complains and also complaining themselves about many things that are fixable and have not been fixed for years. What is the solution? Stop swimming against the tide. Don't work yourself up. Learn from successful people and do your best to make the system work for you, that's it. This is a business, we are just users, they create the rules and as users we accept them. Does this sound like a "It's their way or the highway." Yeah, it does. Is it nice? Of course not, but they decide what is convenient for their business, not the users.

36 of 56

Sergio S wrote:

Ahmet S wrote:

Thank you.
They could even charge more per connection but they should first fix the way it was now.

I just apply job spesificly require Adobe InDesign and I see a lot of job offer that have +50 proposal and client is idle for long time (15+ Days)
That mean upwork get 45$+ without doing anything at all  and freelencer end up spending more money on connections.

You have just explained why Upwork are not interested in changing the algorithm. Why would they change something that is giving them money, and at the same time weeding out freelancers who don't like it or can't pay the cost? They are killing two birds with one stone! It's great for them! Maybe you don't know but the platform is overcrowded and they need to make profit. So the consequences you mentioned are intended.

Yes but in long term this will be more harmful to upwork and the freelancer community.

Also with my suggestion, upwork will win more money since they charge %20.
Just make connections more expensive and don't waste them on closed jobs or other thing I mentioned.
Its quality over quantity. 

Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
37 of 56

Hi Everyone,

A few posts on this thread have been edited and removed for Community Guidelines. Please be mindful of our Community Guidelines when posting in the community and avoid being disrespectful to other members of the forum. Thank you.

-Joanne
Untitled
Ace Contributor
Ozan S Member Since: Dec 30, 2017
38 of 56
Thanks Joanne. Just to be on the clear side, which rule in the community guidelines did my comment go against?
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
39 of 56

Ahmet S wrote:

Sergio S wrote:

Ahmet S wrote:

Thank you.

Yes but in long term this will be more harmful to upwork and the freelancer community.

Just make connections more expensive and don't waste them on closed jobs or other thing I mentioned.

So, I have to ask, if you are such an expert in business operations that you know which changes to implement, how long they will take, and can guarantee that they will be profitable, why are you trying to find freelance gigs on Upwork? Are you an enterprise-level consultant? 

40 of 56

Tonya P wrote:

Ahmet S wrote:

Sergio S wrote:

Ahmet S wrote:

Thank you.

So, I have to ask, if you are such an expert in business operations that you know which changes to implement, how long they will take, and can guarantee that they will be profitable, why are you trying to find freelance gigs on Upwork? Are you an enterprise-level consultant? 

Who choose these people as  Community Guru?
**edited for Community Guidelines** Instead of suggestion something they just make problem bigger and bigger with each comment. 
I try to find freelancer gig on all platforms and I express my feeling about system on all platform but other don't have toxic community guru member like this.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS