Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Upwork newbie - Questions about FP & MIlestones

Highlighted
Viel Russel F Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
1 of 6

Hi all,

I'm a total noob in using UpWork so please bear with my stupidity as I ask these questions:

1. My client hired me for a fixed price work and completed the work in 2 weeks-span. I have received the offer, click accepted. Sent him my work and received a message saying: 

"The milestone "JOB POST NAME", due date: [DATE] on contract [CONTRACT NUMBER] has been approved."

Then, what should I do next? I read in a docs that I should click "End Contract", is it correct?

2. I checked the Reports and it says "Pending", what should  I do?

I have read the legal terms of Escrow but didn't really get it. Sorry, can someone please enlighten me? 

Thanks in advance!

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
BEST ANSWER
2 of 6

Hi Viel Russel and welcome to the Community!

I have checked the job you are referring to and can confirm that the funds were released to you and will become available to you after the standard 6-days security period.

As for closing the job, we recommend communicating with your client and asking him to close the contract unless there are some additional milestones that need to be completed. When the client closes the contract he will be required to leave feedback which will help you build your reputation on Upwork.

~ Valeria
Untitled

View solution in original post

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 6

Congratulations, Viel!

Lots of new contractors make mistakes with fixed-price contracts. But you basically did everything right.

All you need to do now is wait.

Wait a few more days, and you'll be able to withdraw all the money you earned into your own personal bank account/PayPal/Skrill (whatever you use).

There is still an open contract. It is good to get a contract closed once the work has been done.

Once the money is in my account, I like to send a message to the client and thank them for the opportunity to work with them. I will tell them something like this: "If you can now use your client-side interface to close the Upwork contract, then this will all be complete."

If the client asks me any additional questions or for any final work that might take a few minutes, I politely ask them to close the contract first and I'll finish that right away. Then I do so, after they close the contract.

Highlighted
4 of 6

Thanks for the help, Preston and Valeria! Smiley Happy

Cheers!

Highlighted
5 of 6

Okay, so my employer finally make a response when I asked him to end the contract. But then, he asked me to do which I think is something else than what we have agreed on. 

I really don't know what to do. Can you advise how can I reply to him in a formal way but also, a sort of, "hey it's a new job post now"-type of response?

Thank you so much!!!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
6 of 6

It is a tricky one because it could be a common scam some clients use to squeeze out as much extra work as they can. I'd suggest (and it's only my opinion) that you politely but assertively let the client know that they should fund a new milestone for the extra work (within the same contract) and that you'll do it as soon as it's funded.

Never get angry, always remain professional in what you write. Professional, factual, helpful and assertive. Good clients like that. Bad clients hate it, because it's fronting them out. There could be two scenarios:

a) the client is a bit green, and doesn't really know the system - so you're guiding them through it; or

b) the client is relying on you being green and gullible - so you show him/her that you're not.

The possible danger is that the client is really bad and smart, and the response is to close the contract with bad feedback, in the hope that you'll refund to lose the feedback. There really is no easy answer if this the way it turns out, as at that point it's a lot to do with how Upwork is set up massively in favour of the client. But I think at this early stage you're best assuming all is fine and go with my plan A - politely and assertively asking for a new milestone (unless of course it's only really a few minutes' work, in which case do it on the basis of good future relations - only you know how big the extra job is and how to call that).

Good luck, and please keep us updated.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS