cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork part refunded client BC he couldnt pay whole bill

Dawn H Member Since: Jun 19, 2016
1 of 23
I'm so mad I could honestly scream.
I'm a long term Upwork user and today I received an email that they had issued a 20% refund to my client on a large project. They didn't ask me they just told me.

Here's why I'm so mad. The contract was held due to clients card I'm assuming not having enough money on it. It was a large project and you guys know it well. Client wants the world doesn't want to pay for it, and doesn't have a clue about it.

So this guy wants an elaborate business plan he can apply for funding with, take to banks. That's a hefty workload. He hadn't a clue about the industry he wanted to work in, no name, no idea of prices competitors, nothing. He gave me one line, I want to do this.

So I write him a 17 page business plan and it is excellent if I do say so myself. It took a lot of research, and I brought it in on our agreed on 16 hours.

So I contact Upwork about the hold, they tell me its not you it's them. Then today I get a message saying
'We are writing to inform you that your client’s payment was unsuccessful for the week of March 18, 2019 - March 24, 2019. As such, we have reviewed your Work Diary and reversed funds that did not meet the criteria for Upwork’s Hourly Protection policy.'

Now I work on dual screens for a start and I checked with them what this supposed low activity was, apparently it was as bc the screen was on the same area they expected more movement. Well yes of course it was. Anyone who is writing dense text frequently does rewrite and change the same area.

Basically he can't afford what he wanted and instead of actually dealing with him properly upwork just took the difference off me.

No authorisation, nothing. Just took it because he couldn't pay his bill. I'm so mad.
This is completely crazy. Any idea what the hell I can do about this? It's $81, so not exactly small change.

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
2 of 23

If the client didn't pay, then the client received no refund. Instead, Upwork is paying you 80% of the value of the contract out of pocket. The client is walking away with free work and Upwork is footing most of the bill. 

3 of 23
This is totally crazy. Is this common?
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 23

Dawn H wrote:
This is totally crazy. Is this common?

No. Just make sure you do the clicky clicky and all that for payment protections. Looks like you only lost 2 hours so not too bad.

5 of 23
What's the clicky clicky?
Community Guru
Miriam H Member Since: May 16, 2017
6 of 23
Yes.. What is clicky..clicky
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
7 of 23

Miriam H wrote:
Yes.. What is clicky..clicky

For Upwork Payment Protection to apply each screenshot needs to show a minimum level of activity. Activity is measured by mouse clicks and keyboard movements. So, no clicky--no payee. 

8 of 23
I'm going to have to get rid of my dual screen then as clearly its not picking up both screens. Thats really irritating though I thought as they were networked to the same desktop they would. But I can't lose money due to it, so might have to get out my laptop.
Community Guru
Miriam H Member Since: May 16, 2017
9 of 23
I think there is a way to set it up so it gets both monitors.. Does Upwork have a way for you to test the clicky clicky with both monitors?
Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
10 of 23

Hi Dawn. According to your opening post, if I understood correctly, customer support gave you the impression that the reason you weren't protected was to do with the displayed screen area not changing, rather than too few clicks. Do you still think this might be what they meant? Or have you reinterpreted their comments in the light of what you've read here?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS