🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Upwork payments to foreigners living in China
Page options
2eb62ea8
Community Member

Upwork payments to foreigners living in China

I have recently been dealing with Upwork payment issues, It is kind of complicated. My expected first payment ever on Upwork took more than the expected time to get from my paypal account to my chinese bank account. I  had to call Paypal CS a few times to get it sorted. Once it arrived, the bank told me it is going back and didn't give me any reason which I still don't understand, saying someone sent them a message asking for the money to go back to the Paypal account (who?). Now I tried to directly link my chinese bank to Upwork but I didn't know that since I am a foreigner (with no  chinese national ID obviously) I cannot link my account to upwork. I have no other bank account but I am trying to open a new one from home. Anyone else that has a similar or a bit different experience?? I would love to hear about how you solved it! Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
ffaf9780
Community Member

Hi, very curious if you were able to find a solution. I also have a similar question 🙂

PradeepH

Hi Aicha,

Thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about the challenges faced by you. Our team may request additional details in case of any mismatch found in your payment method. Feel free to message us if you still need assistance with your payment method. 

Hi Zhanibek,

I see that your payment method is already accepted. Please update your Tax Information page to activate your payment method.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

Hi!
The same problem with me being foreigner in China: I need to link my bank account but system requires me to submit name in characters and Chinese national ID. Which I dont have obviously. As a moderators you may have ways to help me with that too? System doesnt allow me to report an issue either

Hi!
The same problem with me being foreigner in China: I need to link my bank account but system requires me to submit name in characters and Chinese national ID. May I ask moderators to help me with that too, cz system also doesnt allow me to report an issue?

Hi Roman,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ AJ
Upwork
2eb62ea8
Community Member

Hello Pradeep,

I found an amazing solution and it's been working since then! I linked my paypal account to my 2nd chinese bank account which is The Bank of China. This is the most international bank in China I believe so since then I have been using it and receive my transfers without any issue. Thanks!

Hello Aicha,

I'm currently facing kind of the same issues. May I ask you if it was required for you to have a China tax identification number? Do you pay taxes on your revenues coming from Upwork to your BOC bank account?

2eb62ea8
Community Member

Hello Youssef,

No I was not required to pay any tax because I am not a chinese citizen. UW asked me to get a TIN from back home but I told them that that was a bit complicated because I am currently living in China. So they made me sign an affidavit and fill in the W-8 form. After that, nothing else was required and things were in order.

a96a4eec
Community Member

Hi Aicha,

Thank you very much for your reply. I hope this will work for me as well!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members