🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Upwork platform is bad?
Page options
iamrommel
Community Member

Upwork platform is bad?

How true is this article

https://hackernoon.com/why-you-should-never-use-upwork-ever-5c62848bdf46

I got the feeling that upwork platform is really bad for freelancers.

Is this still the same since the post was 2016, i hope something was change since then

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
robin_hyman
Community Member

Rommel M wrote:

How true is this article

Is this still the same since the post was 2016, i hope something was change since then

Rommel,

Upwork isn't for everyone.  I read that article and you have to know as a freelancer, there are "good" clients and "bad" clients.  Not every "good" client works well with all "good" freelancers.  And it's not Upwork's fault. 

Upwork is just the platform that connects clients with freelancers.  WE as freelancers have to do our due diligence.  Meaning, we have to be smart about who we work with.  Whether that is revewing the client's previous projects, seeing their hire rate (if low you shouldn't even bother wasting your connects), and reading their freelancer reviews as well as the reviews they've given.  

One of the basic rules to freelancing:  Never accept a project until the client has provided the materials you need to start.  This freelancer didn't seem to do that.  He waited and waited getting more and more frustrated with the client.  We can't control the client but we can control what we do and how we handle situations.  The freelancer who wrote that article was angry and probably expressed his anger to the client creating this domino effect.  It could have been prevented.  

If you decide to stay on the platform you just have to work smart.  Visit the forums and read, read, read about other people's experience.  You never know when you're in a similar situation.  

Good luck to you!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
robin_hyman
Community Member

Rommel M wrote:

How true is this article

Rommel,

Upwork isn't for everyone.  I read that article and you have to know as a freelancer, there are "good" clients and "bad" clients.  Not every "good" client works well with all "good" freelancers.  And it's not Upwork's fault. 

Upwork is just the platform that connects clients with freelancers.  WE as freelancers have to do our due diligence.  Meaning, we have to be smart about who we work with.  Whether that is revewing the client's previous projects, seeing their hire rate (if low you shouldn't even bother wasting your connects), and reading their freelancer reviews as well as the reviews they've given.  

One of the basic rules to freelancing:  Never accept a project until the client has provided the materials you need to start.  This freelancer didn't seem to do that.  He waited and waited getting more and more frustrated with the client.  We can't control the client but we can control what we do and how we handle situations.  The freelancer who wrote that article was angry and probably expressed his anger to the client creating this domino effect.  It could have been prevented.  

If you decide to stay on the platform you just have to work smart.  Visit the forums and read, read, read about other people's experience.  You never know when you're in a similar situation.  

Good luck to you!

prestonhunter
Community Member

The nature of a thing is not determined by a page on the Internet describing that thing.

I can assure you that EVERY freelance work platform is castigated brutally somewhere on the Internet, just as every politician, every actress, and every breed of dog or cat is harshly criticized somewhere on the Net.

williambernal
Community Member

RM,

The really good news is that you are under no obligation whatsoever to offer your services on the Upwork platform.

And I'm very confident that should you choose to leave, absolutely no one will stop you.

That is just one definition of the "free" part of freelancing.

Work smart, work safe, and best of luck to you!

Rommel, I read the same article a few years ago, on a different site, before all the images had been removed. What you're not seeing is what eventually happened: Upwork restored the freelancer's account, and gave him a free plus membership, I believe for a year. Sometimes Upwork makes mistakes, but at least in this case they corrected it.

Is Upwork a bad platform?  I have never really had a problem. I've had one client sort of disappear, but she paid. And one client who I decided not to work with any longer. But honestly, if you vet clients properly and make sure you have a contract, use time tracker properly, and are careful with fixed-price contracts, it's can be a very beneficial platform. 

If you treat Upwork like your employer and expect them to do everything for your business, you're gonna have a bad time. 

mctimon
Community Member

Asking people who are actively using Upwork (enough to be replying on the Upwork forums in a short time) if Upwork is a bad platform will obviously yield "No, Upwork is heaven" kind of responses. It's the equivalent of asking a dedicated Buddhist monk if Buddhism is bad. Besides, this forum is owned and moderated (in part) by Upwork so... say anything negative about the platform and I'm sure you're toast.

That being said, I think Upwork is heaven Smiley Tongue

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths