cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork please STOP clients offering $1.25 per hour or so..

Community Guru
Muhammad Saif U Member Since: Oct 18, 2015
1 of 11

Just seen a new job post where client is offering $1.25 per hour to freelancers. Isn't $3 is minimum declared rate by upwork? Why Upwork dont stop such clients??

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Community Guru
Muhammad I Member Since: Dec 19, 2015
2 of 11

For such culprits, i have a magic just flag it and say disappear... 

Community Leader
Fernanda M Member Since: Apr 10, 2016
3 of 11

There's a bunchful of things completely wrong with this post. Just to name a few

1. price

2. discrimination

Flag it and report it

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 11

That is interesting. I am not sure how they actually plan to implement an $1.25/hour pay rate with new hires. Upwork's interface simply won't let them create a contract with a rate below $3/hr.

Community Guru
5 of 11

Well, they have a way, as he/she is offering $1.25/h for 8 hours daily work, so the total amount of 8 hours are 8x1.25=10 now he can offer a contract where the contractor will run tracker for 3.20 hours @3/h and rest he work without tracker for 4.40 hours.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 11

Ah... Well, the client may have figured how to make this work mathematically, but to require contractors to work an hourly contract without tracking time is a clear violation of Upwork ToS.

Community Guru
7 of 11

As the client is also violating ToS and he knows that who'll apply also agreed to violate ToS, so it's a win-win game for the client.

A strong Darkside of the force attacking weak minded people for less i say nothing.

Community Guru
Muhammad Saif U Member Since: Oct 18, 2015
8 of 11

@Preston Most probably client will ask freelancers to track 1 hour after working every 2.5 hours or so...

Community Guru
Tom R Member Since: Oct 29, 2015
9 of 11

Hourly rates are not set by the client but an algorithm done by Upwork. When a client posts a hourly job there is no option to enter an hour rate. 

I posted about this early this week. The algorithm will show what the hourly rate in Entry, Intermiddiate and Export are when the client selects the category the job should be in. The downside is that most jobs outside of IT categories don't actually list hourly rates. This is why you see hourly jobs with no rate listed.

It's also why all the scam jobs are in the Admin Support -> Other - Admin Support category. Because it doesn't generate an hourly rate.

The only time a client can enter a rate for a job is if it is a flat rate job.

Community Guru
Tom R Member Since: Oct 29, 2015
10 of 11

Oh yeah and they can post a job with a single word in the Job Description and Upwork will let the job post.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS