🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Upwork "Help" Chat Ruined my life
Page options
ibambem
Community Member

Upwork "Help" Chat Ruined my life

Context:
I'm supposed to be having a surgery yesterday because of some complications on my leg. Due to financial struggle, I asked my client for assistance which he sent as a Bonus on Sunday.
But due to the urgency of my situation and the availability of the surgeon, I had to ask if it was possible to remove the 5 day hold on the bonus so that I can get that surgery on Monday or my leg will continue to rot until April where the surgeon is available again.

Here is the issue:
When I contacted chat support, they stated that they will contact the "payment team" for my request. Which already gives you the idea that it is possible that the request can be done.
I waited a whole day and have made multiple followups for a response as I thought they understood how urgent this is.
After contacting multiple agents again, they said that the "payment team" could not do anything because the Bonus was not charged to my client due to a failed transaction. "There is nothing to push through at the moment" according to them.
They're basically saying they cannot do anything BECAUSE the client has not paid yet.

So I bothered and caused inconvenience to my client but from what he understands, it is Upwork who charge his account automatically even if if fail the first time.
I do not know what happened but eventually he was charged successfully.

So by then I was feeling positive that my request which is for the 5 day hold to be removed, will be processed.

But when I contacted chat support again, they simply said that they still cannot do anything about the 5 day hold and I will have to wait for it to be cleared.

So in the first place, they should have told me that the 5 day hold cannot be removed whatever the reason is. This is my issue.
And because of that, I thank you Upwork Live Chat "Support" for ruining my life. My leg will continue rotting until April where there is a good chance it will have to be sawed off.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

5 REPLIES 5
ibambem
Community Member

Just to add: They twist their previous statements and say that the issue was I asked why the bonus was in "Pending" status, that's why they told me to let my client know that he was not charged successfully.

Hi Kenneth,

I'm sorry to hear about what happened and the situation you are in. I hope the operation and recovery will go smoothly.

I followed up with the team and one of our agents will follow up with you shortly.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
kinector
Community Member

IMHO it is not professional to depend on kind clients for directly sponsoring something like this.

You should never have ended up in this situation with Upwork in the first place.

My trouble is my trouble. My clients will be happier when THEY don't need to worry about ME.

Regardless, I hope your operation goes smooth and you'll be back in freelancing in no time. All the best, Kenneth!

Sorry to hear about your leg.

But it's not Upwork's fault. It's up to you to look after your health. 

petra_r
Community Member

Kenneth Dwayne G wrote:

This is my issue.

You are absolutely right. This is your issue. Not your client's issue, not Upwork's issue and certainly not the fault of Upwork "Help".

You asked for something that can't be done, they tried for you, but ultimately couldn't.

Kenneth Dwayne G wrote:

So in the first place, they should have told me that the 5 day hold cannot be removed whatever the reason is.

That wouldn't have altered the outcome. How would knowing that it can't be done a day earlier have made a difference to the facts? They tried to help. That was ultimately all they can do.

I wish you a fast recovery.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths