🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Upwork rates, ratings system, and overall pla...
Page options
e69b1ecf
Community Member

Upwork rates, ratings system, and overall platform

I'd potentially be okay paying 10-25% of my income to Upwork if the Platform ran reliably (wasn't crashing or running unbearably slow several times a week), skills and certifications were added quickly (certification options on profile - you can't add ones not in verified by Upwork but have suggested several with links 3+ months ago and still haven't been added), and the ratings system actually made sense and didn't penalize freelancers for the fact that clients haven't provided feedback for completed jobs. Upwork doesn't seem to do much with feedback just as it seems to prioritize clients over freelancers.

My 2 biggest issues currently are:
1. Ratings System - A freelancer can have 90%+ job rating for jobs they've received feedback on but if clients don't log back in after a job is completed to provide feedback, the "Job Success" score can reflect 50% without clarifying this is negatively impacted due to incomplete client feedback. Instead, the "?" bubble by the rating says "50% of freelancer's jobs resulted in a good client experience" which would lead anyone to take that as "there's a 50/50 chance of my job resulting in failure if I hire this freelancer". THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED!
2. Clients can post jobs and never log back in without any recourse. Meanwhile, freelancers waste tons of time and credits on applying for jobs where more than 50% will go stale and expire after a month or two.

Upwork needs to start paying equal attention into both freelancer and client sides! Client's aren't the one's being charged insane fees. Y'all need to start prioritizing us.
3 REPLIES 3
tlbp
Community Member

Paul W wrote:
I'd potentially be okay paying 10-25% of my income to Upwork if the Platform ran reliably (wasn't crashing or running unbearably slow several times a week), skills and certifications were added quickly (certification options on profile - you can't add ones not in verified by Upwork but have suggested several with links 3+ months ago and still haven't been added), and the ratings system actually made sense and didn't penalize freelancers for the fact that clients haven't provided feedback for completed jobs. Upwork doesn't seem to do much with feedback just as it seems to prioritize clients over freelancers.

My 2 biggest issues currently are:
1. Ratings System - A freelancer can have 90%+ job rating for jobs they've received feedback on but if clients don't log back in after a job is completed to provide feedback, the "Job Success" score can reflect 50% without clarifying this is negatively impacted due to incomplete client feedback. Instead, the "?" bubble by the rating says "50% of freelancer's jobs resulted in a good client experience" which would lead anyone to take that as "there's a 50/50 chance of my job resulting in failure if I hire this freelancer". THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED!
2. Clients can post jobs and never log back in without any recourse. Meanwhile, freelancers waste tons of time and credits on applying for jobs where more than 50% will go stale and expire after a month or two.

Upwork needs to start paying equal attention into both freelancer and client sides! Client's aren't the one's being charged insane fees. Y'all need to start prioritizing us.

1. Wow! That's amazing, I had no idea. Can you point us to the Upwork information that explains this? Did it just change overnight? In the past, a 50% JSS just meant you had delivered really poorly.
2. You must purchase a lot of credits to waste tons of them. How many jobs do you apply to each week? Where are you finding so many gigs that suit your skills and fee criteria? 

petra_r
Community Member

Paul W wrote:
 Client's aren't the one's being charged insane fees.

No, they just bring virtually all the money.

Freelancers are a dime a dozen. There are already way more freelancers than needed.

Paul W wrote:

1. Ratings System - A freelancer can have 90%+ job rating for jobs they've received feedback on but if clients don't log back in after a job is completed to provide feedback, the "Job Success" score can reflect 50% without clarifying this is negatively impacted due to incomplete client feedback.

That's not how it works. Out of the 5 jobs where you got feedback, the clients weren't really happy in at least 2. 

You'll be please to know that "No feedback" conracts will be completely excluded from the calculation in November. It's already mostly excluded anyway...

Your issue isn't the "no feedback" contracts though.

zohaibsultan007
Community Member

Yes you are right. I want to add one important thing that if Clients can post jobs & even hire a freelancer & after that he had never log back in for one or two months.Even we have no source to be in touch with them except messaging & emails and receive no reply. Upwork must take some action against them to safe some freelance time.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members