Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork rating algorithm punishes hard work, rewards scammers

Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
41 of 69

Hmmm

I had my JSS drop from 100 to 79 within a space of two updates. So I DO know what it is like, and I DO know the challenges. 

But you know what? It is all about YOU. YOUR perception. YOUR mindset.

When this happened I was down...for a few hours. Then, I got right back up, dusted myself off, pulled up my socks...and went on. There IS life after a JSS drop. Strangely, I got tons of work during this period...and landed some clients for whom I work (at QUITE reasonable rates) to this day.

You see, you can see yourself as a victim, or the master/mistress of your own destiny. I chose the latter. 

Ultimately, it is your choice. Nobody else's. Take the advice of those who have been there, or not. That's it.

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
42 of 69

These JSS topics are the main reason I use Upwork. No other platform has them. The rest of the world is boring.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Ace Contributor
Anton A Member Since: Dec 12, 2017
43 of 69

Hi Irene - thanks for your input.

I do agree that attitude is everything and I can either make a sad counterproductive story out of my struggles or take them as a learning lesson and forge on.

However, all this hustling and bustling to keep my JSS nice and high takes a lot of time. As a freelancer, time is what I sell. If it becomes too time-consuming, I will choose to put my marketing efforts elsewhere. Upwork is a very cool place, but it's by far not the only way to make money as a freelancer.

I spent two years here so I have some time and effort invested in this platform. I want to make the best of it. However, the current behind-the-scenes algorithm mumbo-jumbo makes it frustrating and time-consuming to continue to market myself here as well as possible.

I would like to challenge Upwork to improve the platform for me and everyone else working here, that was the motivation for my original post. If Upwork is not listening, fine, but at least I've tried. 

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
44 of 69

Anton, if it's taking a lot of "hustling and bustling" and is time-consuming for you to manage your JSS, you're doing something very wrong. Like you, I've been on Upwork for about two years. I've probably spent an aggregate three minutes across two years managing JSS (requesting that clients close a couple of inactive contracts, which is better, anyway, because who wants a bunch of inactive stuff hanging open?)

The result of largely ignoring JSS has been that my score recently plummeted to 99%.

On rare occasion, a successful freelancer with high JSS talks about investing time in manipulating the system, but most of us just do good work, clean up our contracts, and go on with our lives (and JSS follows).

Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
45 of 69

@Charles K wrote:

We DON'T know what it's like to be in the trenches, because we don't have to be. I've been there years ago, and it's brutal.

This is all I came for - I was waiting for that sentence and "the trenches" to make an appearance ever since noticing this thread. The first time you, Charles, used that terminology here I checked your profile and counted more than 10 or 15 new jobs in that month alone. You and your trenches crack me up. Thanks for going there again and again.

ETA:  I keep getting monthly emails from my so called talent agent: " Hi, I noticed that your Upwork earnings have recently decreased ..." - just in case you wanted to accuse me of being too rich to care.

Ace Contributor
Peter K Member Since: Feb 26, 2012
46 of 69

I've been writing via Upwork for five years (2000+ hours, 94 clients, 100% rating. It recentl;y dropped to 98%. I complained. Herre's the answer:"

“Of your contracts with feedback, you received good feedback 100% of the time.”

That indicates to me there are no poor outcomes. Upwork can’t possibly count the failure of clients to provide feedback as a negative factor. That's crazy!

Why on Earth would Upwork engage in the use of an algorithm that reported other than 100% good feedback? I’d like a detailed, official rationale in writing, so I can introduce the subject in Community Forum. The goal is to have the current method changed. Thanks, Peter Kelton

Yeah, I know they don't want to change. But if we all complain, what? 

Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
47 of 69

@Peter K wrote:

I've been writing via Upwork for five years (2000+ hours, 94 clients, 100% rating. It recentl;y dropped to 98%. I complained. Herre's the answer:"

“Of your contracts with feedback, you received good feedback 100% of the time.”

That indicates to me there are no poor outcomes. Upwork can’t possibly count the failure of clients to provide feedback as a negative factor. That's crazy!

Why on Earth would Upwork engage in the use of an algorithm that reported other than 100% good feedback? I’d like a detailed, official rationale in writing, so I can introduce the subject in Community Forum. The goal is to have the current method changed. Thanks, Peter Kelton

Yeah, I know they don't want to change. But if we all complain, what? 

So, hypothetically, you think these three freelancers should have identical JSS?

Freelancer 1: 10 contracts, 10 clients gave them 5 star feedback

Freelancer 2: 20 contracts, 10 clients gave them 5 star feedback, 10 clients gave them no feedback

Freelancer 3: 100 contracts, 10 clients gave them 5 star feedback, 90 clients gave them no feedback

(I know Freelancer 3 is extreme, but it's extrapolating the argument.)

You're not going to get a "detailed rationale" other than the official JSS help page.

Community Leader
Kristo H Member Since: May 6, 2017
48 of 69

It is also good to recall what Financial Times wrote back two years ago:

"The chief executive of Upwork, an online work marketplace, once told me his company had a “classification algorithm” to predict which employment status lawyers might assign to any given worker."

This might be more remarkable notion to the matter than ever discussed here before.

Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
49 of 69

@Kristo H wrote:

"The chief executive of Upwork, an online work marketplace, once told me his company had a “classification algorithm” to predict which employment status lawyers might assign to any given worker."

This might be more remarkable notion to the matter than ever discussed here before.

That has nothing to do with JSS.

Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
50 of 69

@Jennifer D wrote:

@Kristo H wrote:

That has nothing to do with JSS.

To which I would add this...what does it even mean? 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS