cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork rating dropped to 89% just because of one 3.75 review compared to 14, 5 star reviews.

nickweqp
Nicholas S Member Since: Aug 21, 2017
1 of 5

Hi everybody. 

I've been using upwork successfully for 1 year now and it's been really fantastic. 

However, I've been upset by how my rating has dropped even though I have had 5-star reviews continuously except for one middling review. 

I recently did a long-term job for a company, when unfortunately my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. Thankful she is now doing fine, however, at the time I had to run her to hospital a lot. And it was a lot of stress on the entire family. As you can probably imagine, the mind was a little foggy. 

Additionally, the company I worked for kept on delaying payment.  So I felt like I had to do work for other clients. Especially as it was so close to Christmas. 

I'm not blaming them as we all have to look out for ourselves, but I always try to do my best and stay professional. I treat freelancing as my profession and my ful ltime job. 

When the contract came to an end, I got 3.75 stars, which I thought was reasonable even though I had done a good job for them in the long run. 

My problem is, I have consistently hovered around the 98% mark. (Should 100% consider I had 5 stars across all 14 reviews.) But to have my rating drop so much just because of 1 review, especially when I've earned over 10 grand on the website, has upset me. 

I'm going to redouble my efforts and get back to 90% as my fate is in my hands.  I just think the system is incredibly harsh. 

My main question for you all is: What can I do to get my rating back above 90% outside of doing more jobs? 

I'm desperate to show clients, I'm great at what I do, that I'm trustworthy, and reliable. Like I said I said, I love what I do and I want to repair the damage to my reputation.

Thank you all in advance for your help.

I wish you all the very best.

Nick 

dec0d3d
Rezart R Member Since: Mar 13, 2017
BEST ANSWER
2 of 5

Hi Nicholas.

Sorry to hear about your mother, hope she is doing better now.

Regarding the JSS, the review 3.75 is not the only factor that has lowered your JSS. There is private feedback (that us, the freelancers don't have access to it) which affects your JSS too and has a bigger impact than the star rating.

I got all my contracts with 5 stars and I have 99% JSS.

I'd recommend you work hard to get your Top Rated status again, and you can use one of the Top Rated perks to remove that feedback from impacting your JSS score. You will see that it will highly improve.

Hope I was able to help you somehow.

Regards.

View solution in original post

nickweqp
Nicholas S Member Since: Aug 21, 2017
3 of 5

Hi Rezart.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. 

And thank you for my mum. She is doing much better. Light at the end of the tunnel. 

I did not realise there was hidden feedback regarding freelancers. I shall redouble my efforts to get back to top rated.

thank again and I wish you the best with all your future projects. 

Nick 

g_vasilevski
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
4 of 5

Hi Nicholas,

There are many factors that go into your JSS calculation including public and private feedback given when the contract is closed, pattern of contracts without feedback, inactive contracts, etc. To learn more details about your Job success score and why it has changed check out this Help Article.

~ Goran
Upwork
holymell
Community Guru
Melissa C Member Since: Jul 22, 2017
5 of 5
Nicholas, I am so happy your mother is better! I just went through this with mine as well. She's also doing better, but now they've found cancerous cells in her other breast. But it's not looking glum yet.

It's so hard sometimes to work through that kind of stress. I know the feeling. Unfortunately, I believe most clients are inclined to disbelieve that their freelancer has an ill family member since so many lazy contractors will lie and use that as an excuse to turn in late work or terrible work. I can't say I blame them.

My question is, has it been less than two weeks since the contract ended and were you top rated before the end of that contract?

If you were top rated before this contract, and it's been less than two weeks since that contract ended, you can use your top rated perk to remove the impact of that contract from your score calculation.

I don't have a link handy, but if you search the forums for "top rated perk", you'll find it easily.

If you are able to remove this contract from your score calculation you'll get your top rated status back.

Good luck to you and to your n mother. She is lucky to have a son like you.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS