🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Upwork removed job for not complying with ter...
Page options
maryjennis
Community Member

Upwork removed job for not complying with terms or service AFTER I accepted??

I got an email at 10:01pm tonight that said upwork removed a job because it didn't comply with terms of service. Earlier today I had interviewed and my proposal was accepted. I need more information - should I not work with this company? Are they scamming me? 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Mary Jeanette E wrote:

I got an email at 10:01pm tonight that said upwork removed a job because it didn't comply with terms of service. Earlier today I had interviewed and my proposal was accepted. I need more information - should I not work with this company? Are they scamming me? 

Let me guess - you were interviewed by "a Hiring manager" on Hangouts and they'll sed you a check?

It's one of the oldest, dumbest scams on the Internet.

Real-Job-Or-Scam.jpg

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
petra_r
Community Member

Mary Jeanette E wrote:

Let me guess - you were interviewed by "a Hiring manager" on Hangouts and they'll sed you a check?

It's one of the oldest, dumbest scams on the Internet.

Real-Job-Or-Scam.jpg

Gah, thank you.

tlbp
Community Member

Clients bring $ to Upwork. Thus, Upwork doesn't turn away clients unless there is a very good reason. If Upwork has said there is a violation of the TOS, you can bet that there is a serious problem with the client. (No matter what that same client claims when they contact you and attempt to get you to work with them anyway. Scammers lie. It's how they get free work.)

florydev
Community Member

How many more flowcharts do you have?  

OP, if you have not yet done so CHANGE EVERY PASSWORD you have AFTER notifying your bank!

Wendy C wrote:

OP, if you have not yet done so CHANGE EVERY PASSWORD you have AFTER notifying your bank!

-----------------

Wendy, Unless I am missing something, why should the OP change every password and notify her bank? She didn't mention anything that would cause her to do that.

petra_r
Community Member

Mark F wrote:

How many more flowcharts do you have?  

3 🙂

Is something being done to weed out these scammers? I've bid on two projects recetly that turned out to be these same kind of scammers. I shut them down after I received the Hangouts request. However, I've already "spent" the needed connects to apply for fake jobs.  Is this being addressed by Upwork at all?  Will those connects be reimbursed?

Olivia P.

re: "However, I've already "spent" the needed connects to apply for fake jobs. Is this being addressed by Upwork at all? Will those connects be reimbursed?"

If you report a Google Hangouts scammer to Upwork using the "Flag as inappropriate" button link available in the top right hand side of the job posting screen...

...Then Upwork will take down the job. And Upwork will automatically reimburse your connects.

ANY job that Upwork takes down due to violating ToS will cause connects to be automatically reimbursed. Upwork's personnel are familiar with Google Hangouts scammers... so these are easy to report and these flaggings are quickly acted upon.

Preston H wrote:

... and Upwork will automatically reimburse your connects.

ANY job that Upwork takes down due to violating ToS will cause connects to be automatically reimbursed.

... only if the proposal had not been withdrawn, according to what other freelancers are saying, so this, too, isn't universally true. Generally when a freelancer notices that a job is a scam, the first thing they do is withdraw their proposal.

So I have had two of these in the last two days but I have not seen my connects be reimbursed. Can Upwork not advise the people that have proposed that the job has been taken down and that our connects are being reimbursed? I have lost 8 connects.

a_lipsey
Community Member

Brigot Y wrote:

So I have had two of these in the last two days but I have not seen my connects be reimbursed. Can Upwork not advise the people that have proposed that the job has been taken down and that our connects are being reimbursed? I have lost 8 connects.

Brigot, check your transaction history. It's typically within 24 hours. 

Hi Brigot,

I checked your account, and it looks like Connects for these jobs has been added back to your account. You can check them by going here

~ Joanne
Upwork
byork44
Community Member

Thank you so very much! I learned something new! Brigot

byork44
Community Member

Okay so "Hangout" or "Send me your Resume" are key words to scams? I thought it was odd that they wanted a resume again when Upwork already shows my resume. I really didnt understand Hangout. Thought it was a new Skype. Okay now I know. This is awful. We are trying to make an honest living and these people are taking advantage of people. Hmmmm makes me want to start a side gig of just catching these people!

Brigot

a_lipsey
Community Member

Brigot Y wrote:

Okay so "Hangout" or "Send me your Resume" are key words to scams? I thought it was odd that they wanted a resume again when Upwork already shows my resume. I really didnt understand Hangout. Thought it was a new Skype. Okay now I know. This is awful. We are trying to make an honest living and these people are taking advantage of people. Hmmmm makes me want to start a side gig of just catching these people!

Brigot

Yes, those are scams.  Upwork TOS requires that all pre-contract communication occur ON Upwork. So if they ask to Skype or communicate in Google Hangouts, that's likely a scam (not always, but red flag). SImply ask them to communicate in Upwork messaging, and if they decline, you'll know it's a scam. 

Asking for a resume isn't necessarily a red flag, although it may be. You can share your resume through the message center. But I would create a version that does not include any address or phone information, since sharing that is against the TOS pre-contract. 

Hope this helps. 

2cc22594
Community Member

Well, now I think it's Viber instead of Googlehangouts!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members