cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork's Anti Freelancer policies killing freelancers

Highlighted
Asad Z Member Since: May 1, 2008
1 of 5

I am working with upwork from the last 11 years. I have seen the polciies made by Odesk, and transformation to uwprok but now a days Upwork is directly attacking the freelancers by making rediculus policies. There are many but I want to highlight 2 very important ones due to which freelancers are leaving upwork:

1. If a client pause a project for some time, upwork reduce the job success % of the freelancer. This is stupidity, as 1 client pause the project and you are destrying the years made success rate? My success rate from the last 11 years was 95% plus, now 1 client has paused a project for some time and Upwork fake formula reduced it to 88% what is going on? You in Upwork management killing your own people?

2. One of my friend tolod me his profile is made private locked as he finished a project 1 week earlier, the reason was written "because you havent earned in a while" This nis most stupidty I ever seen by a management, rather facilitating a freelancer to get a project you are removing himj from search? so people cant invite them? Comon can this be workable? My friend was getting few invitations and he stated he was  ready to get few more but now its locked.

UPWORK ADMIN/ MANAGEMENT guys I am MBA qualified business professional who worked in multinational development projects worldwide, I can tell you , that you need to recheck your policy now otherwise you will shut downj your own business.

Asad Zeeshan.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ryan C Member Since: Feb 3, 2017
2 of 5

Hello Asad,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Thank you for your post. I will share this with the team.

Thank you.

Untitled
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Muhammad T Member Since: Aug 28, 2017
3 of 5

yes, Rayan Please Do Consider this post. So many freelancers having same problems.

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
4 of 5

I'm sorry to know you feel this way, Asad. I would just like to clarify on the two points you have made. 

Your Job Success score is updated every two weeks, and it’s important to note any movement in this score (either up or down) reflects both recent activity and activity over a longer period of time. Because we look at trends over a 24-month period, you can see your score change, even without recently closed contracts, due to past jobs slipping out of the 24-month window.

If an established freelancer doesn't earn money on Upwork for 30 days, their profile visibility will automatically change to private.  If you aren't regularly earning on our platform, your profile may be set to private, even if you submit proposals and interview frequently. You may learn more about this initiative here.

-Avery
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 5

@Asad Z wrote:

1. If a client pause a project for some time, upwork reduce the job success % of the freelancer. This is stupidity, as 1 client pause the project and you are destrying the years made success rate? My success rate from the last 11 years was 95% plus, now 1 client has paused a project for some time and Upwork fake formula reduced it to 88% what is going on? You in Upwork management killing your own people?

2. One of my friend tolod me his profile is made private locked as he finished a project 1 week earlier,

1) Not true. Contracts with money paid on them do not affect your JSS as long as some money was paid, unless you have a significant percentage of those.

Your JSS is almost certainly what it is because of private feedback. What is your "Clients would recommend you" percentage on your "My Stats" page?

There WAS no Job Success Score 11 years ago so you can't have had a 95% JSS for 11 years, please try not to wildly invent arbitrary numbers.

2) Tell your friend as soon as he earns again (or asks Support to set it public) his profile will be set public again. Problem solved. Much drama over absolutely nothing.

@Asad Z wrote:

There are many but I want to highlight 2 very important ones due to which freelancers are leaving upwork:

That is a problem... how?

Considering that Upwork has far more freelancers than needed and scores of people are trying to get in and are rejected, that isn't a problem. If people leave because their JSS is low it makes space for new ones who might manage better contract outcomes more consistently.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS