cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork’s New Service Fees - Rolled Out !!

outsourceupwork
Community Leader
Anil K Member Since: Dec 16, 2015
1 of 326

So, finally upwork rolled out 20% Fees hiCK !!

upwork.png

Uplift Upwork Visual Style : Add-on
Link Removed
wetinkdesign
Matt F Member Since: Jun 21, 2016
2 of 326

I am seriously disturbed by the new rate structure - almost makes working on Upwork pointless. Maybe we should just move to Guru?

It's clear that the rate structure is in Upwork's best interests. I strongly suspect that the vast majority of client / employer relationships are under $500. 

$100 fee on a $500 project is outrageous.

-Matt

mario-chirinos
Community Guru
Mario C Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
3 of 326

@Matt F Is Guru a good option?

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 326

Or, for some of us (myself included)...

finally the 5% fees have been rolled out.

writeofpassage
Carol W Member Since: Jun 21, 2016
5 of 326

You are pricing yourselves out of the editing business. Most of the business I contract to do already pays little enough, given all the unqualified freelancers you allow to underbid workers who are actually qualified.

mario-chirinos
Community Guru
6 of 326

PLEASE NOT THAT DUE THE INCREASE IN UPWORK FEES, ALL FEES MOST BE PAID BY THE CLIENT.

I just put that note at the top of my profile.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
7 of 326

@Mario C wrote:

PLEASE NOT THAT DUE THE INCREASE IN UPWORK FEES, ALL FEES MOST BE PAID BY THE CLIENT.

That's a great idea. Then, you won't get any jobs and you won't have to worry about paying fees. 

mario-chirinos
Community Guru
8 of 326

I am getting jobs

@Tiffany S wrote:

@Mario C wrote:

That's a great idea. Then, you won't get any jobs and you won't have to worry about paying fees. 

chrismanley
Ace Contributor
Chris M Member Since: Jun 8, 2010
9 of 326

Since the new fee structure was put in place, I've raised my rates twice.  Once just so I'd be making the same as before the fee increase, and the second to avoid getting so many invitations to interview.  I'm still getting plenty of invitations and even one where they just offered me the contract with no interview -- after my second rate hike.

The thing is, instead of bellyaching about this thing ad nauseum, we should concentrate on just doing a good job for our clients... build up more hours (I know it takes time)... and strive for that 100% completion rate.  Those are the things that make you attractive to a prospective client and worth the extra money you need to charge to make what you want and cover the higher fee.  While it may not seem that way if you're a young person wanting to be making top scale pay right now, believe me the effort is worth it in the long run.  Besides, it's only on the first $500 so really it's more like a finder's fee than an ongoing fee.

54f5aa8e
Timothy H Member Since: Mar 28, 2017
10 of 326

The client pays all the fees in the end.

All the money comes from the client, whether the client pays or the freelancer pays.

Clients naturally intend the whole amount to compensate the freelancer, so fees divert from their intentions.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS