cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork’s New Service Fees - Rolled Out !!

shahidmehdi
Daniyal S Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
91 of 326

Because you just dont call quit on something that you have been a part of years. You sit and talk and sort out. Dont know how it was a serious question honestly.

priscillasalve
priscilla s Member Since: Mar 10, 2015
92 of 326

Simple and pretty obvious answer:

Because i've been more than a year now on Upwork and at first, this site is really helping people earn and gain experiences. But as time goes, all I can assess is that the people behind this Upwork is just really getting greedy. Why they have to do this if they are already getting more than 10% from freelancers before and also a percentage from clients? WHY????

shahidmehdi
Daniyal S Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
93 of 326

I totally agree. I have been part of Upwork for over 6 years and always thought 10% was way too much when the project budget is high. $100 on a $1000 dollar project was already way uphil and now its 20% on new clients you get? This is just bizzarre.

I dont see Upwork client base improving, over the 6 years clients are looking to hire cheap labour at $3/hr. If Upwork is not improving the overall payouts to freelancers then why charge them double for getting small projects?

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
94 of 326

So today I made my monetary goals sitting in a big comfy couch in shorts and a tshirt watching reruns of True Blood and chatting on FaceBook. I'm feeling pretty first world right now.

Someone let me know when the inhumanity starts. In the meantime, thanks Upwork for the cheeseburger you bought me today. It was delicious.

malcolmwheeler
Malcolm W Member Since: Aug 16, 2015
95 of 326

I also do not understand all the fuss.

a) Upwork starts charging 10% higher fees.

b) Freelancers start charging 10% more for their services.

c) Buyers start paying 10% more for the work the need done.

After all the shouting is over, nothing really changes for us freelancers, the buyers will be picking up the tab.

i_sulga
Ace Contributor
Irina S Member Since: Jun 21, 2016
96 of 326

another option - buyers start looking for less expensive platforms

malcolmwheeler
Malcolm W Member Since: Aug 16, 2015
97 of 326

"another option - buyers start looking for less expensive platforms"

Cosidering how many people around here complain about low paying projects, I would think driving away the kind of buyer who makes their hiring decisions based on price alone, would be a good thing?

Shock horror, freelancers complain about low bidding competition, and buyers who are looking for cheap work.

Upwork does something that will both drive out freelancers who compete upon price alone, and buyers who are looking for great work at slave prices, and what happens? People respond with a gut reflex action, without thinking the long-term implications of the change through.

lisawerk
Community Guru
Lisa W Member Since: Nov 14, 2015
98 of 326

@Jennifer M wrote:

So today I made my monetary goals sitting in a big comfy couch in shorts and a tshirt watching reruns of True Blood and chatting on FaceBook. I'm feeling pretty first world right now.

Someone let me know when the inhumanity starts. In the meantime, thanks Upwork for the cheeseburger you bought me today. It was delicious.

True Blood is weird. I've been binge watching The West Wing (for the dozenth time) and Madam Secretary and arguing politics on Facebook. Plus I took a bunch of business calls while watching my daughter at her riding lesson and yesterday I read emails while walking on the treadmill. I seriously can't think of a better job I'd rather be doing.

Not for nothing, but I was a little annoyed when this was first announced. Once I stopped complaining, I doubled my hourly rate, polished my profile a bit, and charged ahead. I now have several new long term contracts paying more than I've ever made here, and I've managed to use my newfound confidence to branch out more into offsite opportunities.

Don't get me wrong, I still wish they would have fixed the plethora of issues on the site before charging more, but the new fee will have little effect on me...until I get over $10,000, which I'm getting to closer every day.

So now I'm going to binge watch more Netflix and then make some pumpkin bread while I listen to tech podcasts that will help me in my job. Maybe I'll even watch True Blood. Who knows? I loved Buffy and Angel, maybe more freaky stuff will grow on me.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
99 of 326

@Lisa W wrote:

True Blood is weird. I've been binge watching The West Wing (for the dozenth time) and Madam Secretary and arguing politics on Facebook. Plus I took a bunch of business calls while watching my daughter at her riding lesson and yesterday I read emails while walking on the treadmill. I seriously can't think of a better job I'd rather be doing.

Not for nothing, but I was a little annoyed when this was first announced. Once I stopped complaining, I doubled my hourly rate, polished my profile a bit, and charged ahead. I now have several new long term contracts paying more than I've ever made here, and I've managed to use my newfound confidence to branch out more into offsite opportunities.

Don't get me wrong, I still wish they would have fixed the plethora of issues on the site before charging more, but the new fee will have little effect on me...until I get over $10,000, which I'm getting to closer every day.

So now I'm going to binge watch more Netflix and then make some pumpkin bread while I listen to tech podcasts that will help me in my job. Maybe I'll even watch True Blood. Who knows? I loved Buffy and Angel, maybe more freaky stuff will grow on me.

And this is how it's done, people. Stop being a victim. Nobody wants to pay more, but have an adapt and survive attitude and you'll see that it will work out just fine and you'll be putting more money in your bank accounts.

alexsims1989
Alexander S Member Since: Nov 30, 2015
100 of 326

Jennifer M wrote:

And this is how it's done, people. Stop being a victim. Nobody wants to pay more, but have an adapt and survive attitude and you'll see that it will work out just fine and you'll be putting more money in your bank accounts.

Wow, you must really love faceless corporations stealing your hard earned money. I can see Upwork's CEO laughing all the way to the bank with our "adaptation" and inspirational "survival attitude." Right now they are probably paying for their daughter's pony lessons as well as a new Bentley with a personalised number plate reading ADPT2WIN.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS