cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork’s New Service Fees - Rolled Out !!

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
11 of 326

OMG. Do you really want your clients to see that at the top of your profile? Adding that to the fee clients now have to pay? Dude, just raise your rates. At the end of the day, clients do not have to know how we structure our billing to earn what we're comfortable earning.

stewartmegan
Megan S Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
12 of 326

Why not? Let the clients know that the increase in fees is a direct result of UpWork's greed and not the freelancers! Because guess what?  The clients are the only ones that might be able to put pressure on UpWork to get rid of this greedy pricing policy. If ALL freelancers put the note on their profiles---maybe the message would get through!

abu7amzah
Mohammad A Member Since: Jun 10, 2016
13 of 326

This will affect negativally the company for the following reasons:

1- Many people (including myself) who did not care enough in opening other accounts on other sites such freelancers will do so.

2- More people will try to do businesses outside outwork 

3- The prices will increase because the freelances will ask more to cover their fees

4- Most people work on jobs less than 500$

5- Already many freelancers feel that they are not getting what they deserver so what about an increase in the price

6- Upwork is not the only one out there

7-  Profesional people will not depend on this, so the site will be full with scammers and unprofesional people

8- 100$ from 500$ is A LOT

9- The CEO has to think about better strategies other than "TAXING" his "people

I am expecting that upwork will loose up to 25% in their net income after a year of applying this rule. 

Please no arguing, this is my openion and it is up to you to agree with it or not, but I don't like online arguing, it is just my point of view. 

Regards,

Mohamamd Albakri, PMP, AC, MCM

8d7ce692
Steve L Member Since: Jun 21, 2016
14 of 326

I think Upwork try to encourage us switch to ohter freelance platform.Smiley Very Happy
99% of the jobs I see are for low costs,  20% service charge is insane. This will scare so, so many away.

jared_k
Community Leader
Jared K Member Since: Dec 12, 2015
15 of 326

Number 1 and 6 are the same.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
16 of 326

I strongly suspect that the company is not going to "reconsider" a decision it considered for months, weighing various data including freelancer responses to surveys regarding price increases, because some freelancers are responding exactly the way their research predicted.

PS: I'm starting to suspect that no one actually knows what the word "tax" means.

matskul
Dean L Member Since: Nov 1, 2015
17 of 326

I've attended the webinar on the new fees policy and Q&A session having in mind almost each of the claims you've specified... Emotionally I agree with you and hope that the management staff will do the changes and drop down the rates, however people are using Upwork by their own choice and it's each one's personal choice now to make whether to accept the new conditions offered and try to remain profitable as a freelancer or don't.

I bet the descision is built upon deep analysis of stats and is targeted to maximise their company's profit which makes sense Smiley Happy And I think that something could be changed only if the management will see the negative impact on the revenue. Business is business Smiley Happy 

PS: not 100 from 500 but almost 115 from 500 - don't forget that the client fee was also introduced Smiley Happy

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
18 of 326

@dmitry M wrote:

PS: not 100 from 500 but almost 115 from 500 - don't forget that the client fee was also introduced Smiley Happy

My understanding is that the client fee is not revenue, but is direct payment of a payment processing fee that Upwork has thus far been paying on the clients' behalf.

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
19 of 326

@Tiffany S wrote:

@dmitry M wrote:

My understanding is that the client fee is not revenue, but is direct payment of a payment processing fee that Upwork has thus far been paying on the clients' behalf.

It's also not deducted from the freelancer's earnings. It doesn't affect the freelancer at all.

dashas
Ace Contributor
Dragana S Member Since: May 22, 2016
20 of 326

Hi everyone,

I know that someone somewhere on this forum already anwsered this question, and i DID try to find the answer but I am still uncertain about this: I have a contract and I am just finishing up the first milestone and the client is preparing the second milestone. Will the 20% fee apply to the second milestone although the actual contract was signed on the 14th?

Thank you and have a great day!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS