cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork’s New Service Fees - Rolled Out !!

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
21 of 326

Hi Dragana,

Thanks for posting this question. No, we'll honor the previous 10% service fee for all active contracts, unless you billed over $10,000 with this client, in which case a lower 5% fee will be automatically applied to the new Milestone.

Untitled
dashas
Ace Contributor
Dragana S Member Since: May 22, 2016
22 of 326

Thank you, Vladimir! That's great!

walter_eastman
Vladimir D Member Since: May 15, 2019
23 of 326

Upwork explication of "Top Rated":  

“Top Rated” status by building an impressive reputation on Upwork. You must have a proven history of success with multiple clients, delight your clients every time with high-quality work, and contribute to a safe and vibrant marketplace by knowing and following the Upwork

I am top rated. Not for profit from a rich or long term client but for my overall success with ALL clients.

The fair way for charging Upwork fees shall  be on the same principle: to calculate the total income of a  freelancer and not his income from every single client. In the current situation, UpWork encourages us to look for huge projects or for long-term job clients. But most of the jobs, at least in my category are for much, much less than $500. Of course, we take on a lot of such jobs and accept the 20%, but on the part of the management, this is somehow hard and not quite fair.

m_valens
Ace Contributor
Marco V Member Since: Apr 2, 2016
24 of 326

What worries me (and the OP mentioned it) is that the great majority of jobs have very low budgets. And I'm not even taking into consideration $5 and $10 ones. I see a lot of jobs asking for experts and paying ridiculously low rates. This might not be the problem for top freelancers who already have long term clients, but for relatively new frelancers it is a reason for headache (I mean symbolically). 

How can you even hope of earning more than $500 from someone offering $60 for ten articles? Move on to the next job is the usual answer, but almost 90% of jobs out there are more or less the same, at least in writing. 

anima9
Community Guru
Robert James R Member Since: Apr 17, 2015
25 of 326

The way I see it, if they drive away the f'lancers who don't like the price changes then there will be more jobs for those who do remain. The remaining f'lancers will have more clients and posts to choose from and should help negate the 20% mark up in the long run.

As for the cheap clients, the best solution is to not apply for cheap jobs or deny interviews that asks you to lower your rates. It will drive away cheap clients along with cheap f'lancers. 

So it's a win-win for those who stay.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
26 of 326
I hope all my competitors leave.
jmaccarthy
Justin M Member Since: Jun 21, 2016
27 of 326

If they leave, your customers will too

jared_k
Community Leader
Jared K Member Since: Dec 12, 2015
28 of 326

@Justin M wrote:

Why is that? What do her ongoing clients have to do with "freelancers" who have oversaturated this platform? She's right, I hope this price change creates an exodus and seperates the wheat from the chaff.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
29 of 326

@Justin M wrote:

lol no they won't. I am better than my competitors. 

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
30 of 326

@Jennifer M wrote:

Don't be silly.

We all know you have no real competitors. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS